Dog proofing the screen door - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-30-2019, 11:27 AM   #1

Name: Art
Trailer: Casita
Pennsylvania
Dog proofing the screen door

My understanding is that the Casitas come with a full length screen door. Since I camp with my overactive Brittany, I am wondering how hard it would be to remove the screen door or to cover it with something from the inside that would protect paws from going through the bottom half of it. Has anybody ever dealt with this issue? Since I haven't actually seen the unit I have no idea what to expect. All I know is that dogs being dogs, the paws are going to go through the bottom half of that thing in very short order.

Art

ae6black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 01:13 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: Lite House
Minnesota
Registry
Installing something like this down at dog level would help remind that dog that there is a door there.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OJM78Z0...v_ov_lig_dp_it

But if they are still going to jump on the door and such, a solid panel might be a better idea.

Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 02:07 PM   #3

Name: Alan
Trailer: 2000 17' Casita Freedom Deluxe...Tow vehicle 2015 Toyota Tacoma Dble Cab V6 Prerunner
California
Easy fix
They make mesh dog screens or get some hardware cloth at local hardware store or big box store
I’m sure you can find one on line as well
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 11:56 AM   #4

Name: Cliff
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Connecticut
Check out Amazon: Screen door protector.
Lots of options and price ranges
Cliff Hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:33 PM   #5

Name: Mike
Texas
I cut a thin piece of plexiglass I got at Lowes to fit inside the lower half of the screen door. If you will notice there is a groove on the inside of the screen door. Cut the plexiglass wide enough to fit inside this groove. Then cut it high enough to fit in the bottom but just short of the top. In this way one can bend the plexiglass to fit inside the two sides of the groove, then slide it down into the bottom groove. Having these 3 sides in the screen door hold it in nicely. Since the top of the plexiglass won't be in a groove, I just used a piece of black tape to hold the top flush with the metal of the door. It has worked for four years with no issues. We have two small dogs. You can cut the plexiglass with a utility knife and a straight edge. Once you have scored the plexiglass it will snap off or just ask a Rep. from Lowes (or where ever you get it ) to cut it for you.
m1mbeverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:51 PM   #6

Name: Art
Pennsylvania
Thanks, that was something that I was hoping for. Since I don't have the trailer yet, I am just spending the winter thinking through my issues before I have them.

Art
ae6black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:55 PM   #7

Name: Mike
Texas
Your welcome, it was the first a many mods I have done since got my Casita!
m1mbeverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 01:42 PM   #8

Name: Laura
Trailer: Escape 21' 2nd Gen, picked up on Black Friday 2016
Washington
I'm thinking you might want to add some sort of decal or some such on there so the dog knows it's a solid barrier since the plexiglass will be clear.

Yep, one more thing to think about over the winter!

www.UnderKittySupervision.com
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:16 AM   #9

Name: Henry
Tennessee
We don't have a dog. My problem is dogs and little kids pushing on the screen door to get in. Came close to happening at a rest stop with the door open. The guy caught his kid in the nick of time.

The problem is that many screen savers are too thick to put on the outside of the screen door because it won't be able to lock into the the outside door. So plan accordingly.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 02:05 PM   #10

Name: David
New York
Dog Proofing Door Bottom.

Our wonderful beagle, Sierra, took out the screen bottom portion of our Casita door. My fix was to replace it with thin sheet metal ( press plate ). I cut it oversize and notched the corners then bent and vee'd the sides so that it could be pressed into the groove. Sierra learned that the metal was a little noisy and has left it alone since.
David Marowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 02:59 PM   #11

Name: Torbjörn
Trailer: looking for a projekt
Sörmland
Homemade removable polycarbonatedoor and Scotch fastener
Attached Thumbnails
2011-07-13-17-59-39.jpg   1043176.jpg  

2011-06-18-16-37-22.jpg  
helgestahill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:28 PM   #12

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by helgestahill View Post
Homemade removable polycarbonatedoor and Scotch fastener
I wonder if you could put that on a hinge.. the problem I have is that the dog barrier is also a people barrier, and when it is in place its hard to impossible for me to get in and out. I need something I can swing out of the way easily.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 05:40 PM   #13

Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
Mike' suggestion on post 5 should work fine. Our 03 Casita screen door grooves are on the outside of the door, so the screen would have still been available to the pup's nails. So I attached it to the inside with rivets.

Our pup is an escape artist, so I built and installed a hinged spring loaded gate between the bathroom and fridge. So she can't sneak by as we open the door.

k
Kip in Ga. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:00 PM   #14

Name: Perry
Florida
Dog proofing the screen door

I installed hardware cloth over that area and problem solved. It is durable and it has been there now for a couple of years, problem solved.

Perry Camper is offline   Reply With Quote