dogg (dogs in eggs) camping - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-11-2013, 11:33 AM   #15

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
I've looked at the Seabreeze but without seeing them in person I can't tell if they'd hold up to my corgi who jumps up onto the fence. And for only a few pounds savings in weight they cost twice as much. Are they the same as the ones you have from Cottonlite, do you know?

Though one option since they make them might be to get one that is 12 inches high for 6 feet, to go under the trailer, then 24 inches high for the rest of it. Right now I use a small animal pen to go under the trailer, then attach that to the xpens. I did cut the weight in half by going to shorter pens- Jack can jump out if not watched but he could get out of any expen so he is never left alone there- if I have to leave for even a short time he is crated.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:34 AM   #16

Washington
Registry
I like the 24 inch height as I can step over it- saves having a door that has to be opened and closed.

I've also thought about PVC but there you have bulk again.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:53 PM   #17

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Play Yard

We use a play pen Oh wait were not allowed to call them Play pens. We have to call the PLAY YARDS for our puppies. (actually only for children you have to call them yards). My DW made a fitted sheet to stretch over the top.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:03 PM   #18

Name: Sally
Trailer: Escape 21 in Nov
California
I was in the Pet Edge west coast outlet recently (http://petedge.com/) and found their ex pens are much lighter wire than they used to be. Not a recommendation for long term use - mine are over 20 years old- but it would cut down on the weight to carry. I found some guinea pig ex pens somewhere on line which I use to block the side of the trailer.

If you haven't checked out Pet Edge, it's worth a look. Probably the cheapest place around for pet supplies. However, I won't feed anything that was made in China. Buyer beware.

I had an ex pen carrier fabricated; will post pictures when I figure out how to shrink things in Iphoto.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:24 PM   #19

Washington
Registry
I think what I have are also lighter wire, bought up here at Skagit Farmers.

Where is the west coast outlet? Can't find it on their site. They do have low prices though once you add shipping I don't think they beat Skagit on sale.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:34 PM   #20

California
Outlet is in Reno, NV. Just over the hill for me.

Here's the carrier:
Old 10-11-2013, 02:36 PM   #21

California
Oops. Maybe it's here:

Name:   carrier.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  19.6 KB
Old 10-11-2013, 02:53 PM   #22

Washington
Registry
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2443954199.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	65575

Here's a picture of my setup, just the expens and no canopy.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:56 AM   #23

Name: Sharon
Trailer: UHaul
Massachusetts
Registry
Thank you all for your perspectives. Can I now ask about screen doors? I see some are using the all screen split in the middle doors. I read about a couple of people who have created their own sturdier doors. Anyone using baby gates to help block exits with screen doors?
Old 10-14-2013, 09:43 AM   #24

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
No problemo--for the dogs. I hope some day to adapt the trailer such that I have a place to sleep.

jack
1 female Greyhound
1 female Shiba Inu
LOL I understand having had a large male lab travel with me for years and his equally as large golden buddy.

I was recently asked by our local Assistant/Guide dog group to raise a puppy (normally raise them until they are 15 months & they head off for formal training/duty) but the problem is the pup would need to sleep in a crate every night even when traveling - hard to fit a crate large enough in my current trailer for a lab pup once they get over 7 months or so. Part of the service agreement is that they also must sleep in the same room with you so putting them in the back of a truck at nights isnt an option. I see it as just another really good reason for why I really need a bigger trailer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:37 AM   #25

Washington
Registry
It might be worth explaining the situation to the guide dog organization to see if tethering to the bed would work in a small trailer. That's what they used to have people do for raising puppies, anyway. But if not, just put a door under the bed so that the under-bed area can be a crate for the pup. Guide dogs are taught to crawl under tables in restaurants; there should be room enough under a bed in a trailer. (Or use this as an excuse to get a bigger trailer!)
Old 10-14-2013, 10:42 AM   #26

Washington
Registry
Here's the link to the Airstream crates.

crates are done! | Airstream 7078

click on the side links to see the followup on how the bed was done above the crates.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:00 AM   #27

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
It might be worth explaining the situation to the guide dog organization to see if tethering to the bed would work in a small trailer. That's what they used to have people do for raising puppies, anyway. But if not, just put a door under the bed so that the under-bed area can be a crate for the pup. Guide dogs are taught to crawl under tables in restaurants; there should be room enough under a bed in a trailer. (Or use this as an excuse to get a bigger trailer!)
Thanks Bobbie I had thought of creating an under bed built in crate but having had a labs most my life I'm aware that fitting a bigger boy (over 6 months) under there could be a problem due to the floor of the Scamps being raised under the bed/table area leaving limited height clearance. Even while they are young/small enough to fit under there I suspect that the slightest indication that someone up on the bed above is awake the table/bed would be pushing up and down as they tried to get out from there to say hello regardless of what time of the night it was! Teaching a dog to lay down & stay quite under a bed or table is not so much an issue if there is lots of space/clearance for them, but not so sure it would work well in a very confined space and the puppy brain is still in full swing

Besides the space under the bed is currently used for the clothing boxes & dont have anyplace else for them to go without giving up something else .... so yup I am sticking to need a bigger trailer excuse!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:45 AM   #28

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
We use a thin cable with loop at both ends staked to the ground, has a lead that slides along the cable. Because it is anchored at both ends it presents a rectangle rather than round travel area for the dog. Seems much easier to allow katie to be close without wrapping around awning poles or lawn chairs.

Whole thing fits in a small nylon draw string bag, including two spike nails and washers we use to stake it down with.

Inside it's free range doggy space, she finds a spot. Most of the time on the bed, sometimes on the couch. Often right in front of the door bouncing up and down saying "lets go!". If directed to a spot she will stay there out of the way.

We don't spend much time inside the camper, except at night for reading or sleeping.