dometic fridge problem - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2014, 09:16 AM   #1

Name: Kevin & Lisa
Trailer: Scamp16
Ohio
dometic fridge problem

My guess is the 3-way fridge in our '85 is original... everything works with the new electrical i installed...but no fridge on 12 or 120v. (have not tried propane yet.) When i flip the switch there is nothing - no sound, no electrical hum, no compressor. There is power at the receptacle, and power going into the switches, but nothing coming out.

is it worth diagnosing and replacing parts on a fridge this old or just replacing it? is there something im missing as far as a reset switch or anything?

how many have successfully used an old non-working fridge as an icebox?

i can get pics when i get home today if needed
summer scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:18 AM   #2

Ohio
....oops meant to put this in problems...how can i move it without reposting?
Old 05-27-2014, 09:27 AM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
On a 3 way fridge there are no moving parts. The fridge will take time to cool. Hours. Both 120v and 12v are heating elements so if there is power, they will get warm. The heat is what causes the refridgerant to circulate. Be patient. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:40 AM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
You will not hear a sound from the fridge and it will take it several hours to cool down so its hard to know if it is running. And indoor outdoor weather station comes in handy.

Is there a fuse in the converter for your fridge that may be tripped?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:49 AM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Remove the outside refrigerator access door and see if the refrigerant lines are warm . NO heat , not working
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:08 AM   #6

Ohio
No kidding?!?! No sounds huh... I will check it out again tonight.... If it take hours to get cold.... How long does it stay cold after unplugging?
Old 05-27-2014, 10:24 AM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We usually start our refrigerator 24 hours in advance of loading it up for a trip
Your refrigerator is an absorption type refrigerator and needs to be "Level" to operate properly
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:47 AM   #8

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
It's almost a case of if it's making noise it's broke. Not really of course because the normal Dometic type fridge won't make noise either way. I usually check the flue as it should get warm to the touch after an hour or so on 12V or 120V.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:50 AM   #9

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer scamp View Post
No kidding?!?! No sounds huh... I will check it out again tonight.... If it take hours to get cold.... How long does it stay cold after unplugging?
The slow cooling is a product of the method used to cool, it is slow and steady. Put a bowl of water inside with a thermometer in it and try leaving it on overnight.

The good news: If it cools on Gas or Electric, it's usually worth fixing. If none of them work there is usually a leak in the system and it's food for the scrap pile monster. If you smell any ammonia, it's time for a new one.

BTW: That refrigerator runs on Ammonia and Hydrogen Gas, not Freon.

It doesn't stay cold all that long when turned off, but the flame or heating element stays on most of the time when running.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:51 AM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Depends ..... how cold the food within in it is (only put pre cooled items into it) and if you put a few freezer packs in it to keep it cold like you would a cooler. Oh and don't open it if wanting to keep it cool while shut down.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:21 PM   #11

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Ah the dark art of absorption refrigeration. The movie Mosquito Coast has a huge one that he uses to make ice for the south american tribes. It all goes bad though.

Ironic that heat can be used to make cold eh? I don't claim to have a firm understanding of all the physics, but partial pressure has a lot to do with it.

The big advantage is that a 20# bottle of propane is all you need for a couple weeks of cold beer.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 02:38 PM   #12

Ohio
HOLY CRAP IT WORKS!

Turns out I was just shutting it off too soon before it would get cold assuming I should hear some sort of noise...

Down 77 to 37 degrees in 3 hours on the coldest setting.

Thanks for the help!!
Old 05-27-2014, 02:54 PM   #13

I take it you were measuring the temp in the freezer compartment?

Was that on Gas or Electric.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:32 PM   #14

Ohio
I just clipped my meat smokin thermometer on the middle shelf.... I don't see how a there would be a freezer section? It's all one compartment??

This was on 120 to start the I switched over to 12v to make sure it maintains temp. Both seem to work. Haven't tried gas yet.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:34 PM   #15

Ohio
Fridge
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 05-27-2014, 04:11 PM   #16

A 40 degree drop in three hours is way more than expected, sounds like you have a good one. But don'tr expect it to cool warm beer (or soda) that fast

Some units have a small freezer, just about big enough for two mini ice trays or 4 Eskimo Pies.

If original, your refrigerator is probably the early style (square edge boiler cover) and is more sensitive to being level when operating. They used to come with a small "Bull's-eye" level (that are still easy to find at WalMart or any RV store). Usual rule of thumb is to be within 1/2 bubble width of level. Consequences of running out of level is a clogged cooling system that will shut down the refrigerator permanently.....

But, if it has a round (curved) boiler cover, it's not as sensitive and the trailer need only be level enough to be "comfortable". (Their words, not mine)

Let us know how the Gas works, that's what you will use most of the time while camping.

Old 05-27-2014, 04:20 PM   #17

Ohio
Awesome. Thanks.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:45 PM   #18

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Older fridges went to the effort of making a very small freezer section. On the RM211, it is enough to make ice cubes, the RM36E freezer is big enough for 2L of ice cream.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 04:46 PM   #19

Registry
Quote:
HOLY CRAP IT WORKS!

Turns out I was just shutting it off too soon before it would get cold assuming I should hear some sort of noise...

Down 77 to 37 degrees in 3 hours on the coldest setting.

Thanks for the help!!
Your best not to leave it on the coldest setting as you will get a lot of frost build up on the freezer section and when that happens the fridge starts to perform poorly.

Tags
fridge