Door thickness and shape. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2013, 03:28 PM   #1

Name: Cathy
Trailer: 1973 Love Bug '13
Florida
Registry
Door thickness and shape.

This is a repost. It's in owners helping owners. No reply and I really need this info.

I'm reworking the door on our 73 Love Bug (Boler type). Thought we had someone lined up to do it, but he fell through. So back to the patch job.

The existing door is made of 2 thin layers of plywood with a layer of glass over the outside. Door at its thickest is about just over 3/4 " with the outer overlap edge being about 3/8" thick. No space between the layers. There is also a pair of wood braces that are attached vertically to hold the curve in the lower part of the door.

All of the doors that I see on campers are thicker except for the outer 2" edge.

1 How thick is your door or should a door be.

2. How deep is the recess on the outside of the camper body where the door way steps in and the door overlaps?

3. Are these doors supposed to curve side to side at all? Or, does it only curve to match the curve of the shell? Do the sides or corners curve in at all?

Please help

Thanks
Cat futrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #2

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
I have a scamp which I re-cored the door, used 1/2 in ply-board on the inside and measuring mine now come up with a thickness of about 3/4 in. Overlap is 2 in all the way around door, recess on shell is 1/4 in deep by 2 in. The door doesnt curve side to side my shell is pretty flat.
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:55 PM   #3

Name: Cathy
Trailer: 1973 Love Bug '13
Florida
Registry
Thanks Tom, just what I needed to know. How long ago did you do your door? Did you use anything to reinforce the curve?
Cat futrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:39 PM   #4

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
Did it about 2 years ago, Now since you asked.... my door was water logged, took it off,cut some off inside to get at whatever they used on inside and pulled it all out, cut short piece of plyboard and glued them in, then glassed it all together with mat and resin. when i do it again (not enough curve) I am going to cut kerfs in my inside door piece and close door and put a bunch of 2x4's and ratchet strap them to follow curve, jump inside and use some short shortstrand fiberglass to tack door in place, then remove door and follow up with more mat and resin. As for reinforcement I used 2 layers of mat and resin. I found it was next to impossible to get the door curved right with it off the camper ( used templates, straps) quite the curve at the bottom really at least on my Scamp. Think there is a 3/4 to a inch gap at bottom, up latch side which around latch its only about 1/8 then comes out a bit at top, dont think got enough total curve in mine (closed cell foam is my friend)
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote