Door windows - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-14-2013, 11:10 PM   #1

Name: Jeremy
Trailer: Scamp
Washington
Door windows

I am replacing all windows in my 77 Scamp, I wouldn't have had to replace the front and rear, but I noticed several small cracks in both, so it's new plexiglass for them. I am adding sliding radius cornered windows to the rear sides. That leaves the old broken door window, a crank out which is rectangle, and approximately 6"x18" or so. I want to put in a larger radius cornered opening window in the door as well. I have to rebuild the door, so that would be the time I do the cut out/ fiberglass work.
I called scamp today after looking at a 15"x15" non-opening window. I asked why they don't have that in an opening version. The person I talked to said they had troubles with the hinges on opening door windows, so they no longer offer them. I noticed they had a 12"x15" sliding window and thought that might work for the door window. I would like some kind of opening window for venting purposes. Has anyone installed a sliding window in the door of their trailer? Any recommendations? Thanks!

Jeremy

Old 05-15-2013, 08:06 PM   #2

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
You're replacing those wonderful jalousies

If you want a BIGGER sliding door window, Larry Gamble is going to start carrying replacements for the Casita in his store... shortly... like the next couple of weeks: Little House Customs

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:27 PM   #3

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
I have a 96 scamp with a sliding door window. Problem with it doesnt want to stay open, always sliding closed....simple fix was gerry? rigged a wire to hold it open....dont know if my sink window would work ( almost same size) since i dont think it would drain the water properly. They (scamp sells) radius cornered jalousies
Old 05-16-2013, 01:08 AM   #4

Washington
Sorry Donna, I can tell from reading many threads how you adore those windows! Honestly, I would have keeps them if they weren't so messed up. I decided I like how round everything is on the scamp, so radius cornered windows is the route I am going. Wait till you see what I found for a rear bumper!
So, the windows on the scamp website I found, slide to the side, not up and down. I assume they have drain holes in the bottom, so I wouldn't think they would have trouble staying open or closed. I would prefer crank out though, if I can find them in a larger size. It seems you could have it partially open even in the rain.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:20 AM   #5

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Yes I do really like the old fashioned jalousies. My Scamp is a couple of years too new to have them Between the curtains and the way the radius windows slide, they only open about 4" for fresh air.

If you can't find exactly what you want, check out TrilliumRV. Here's a picture of a Trillium:
Click image for larger version

Name:	TrilliumWindows.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	59125

Here's a lousy picture of the Scamp version:

Name:   ScampWindow.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  6.4 KB

Be sure to post what the cost is for total replacement. Inquiring minds want to know
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:51 PM   #6

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
My DOOR window actually slides up/ down, staying open is the problem i think Scamp was talking about when you inquired about them. My other windows are regular sliders. i know Scamp only have or use the solid door windows now. Sure with a little searching you could find a sliding door window.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:34 PM   #7

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcham1970 View Post
..... Has anyone installed a sliding window in the door of their trailer? Any recommendations? Thanks!

Jeremy
The UHauls were made with a vertical sliding window. If you can't find a window made for a teardrop or a horse trailer of the right dimensions, you might have a custom made one here:

Teardrop Trailer Parts
Old 05-16-2013, 04:45 PM   #8

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Jeremy, my scamp has a door window that slides up & down but to be honest I dont use it often at all as the opening is actually pretty small so dont think it makes a bit difference re venting. A good fan or leaving the door open does much better.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:41 AM   #9

Washington
I did purchase a fantastic fan, which I will be installing. If I decided to go with a non opening door window, do you think the fan would circulate the air inside well enough, like at night or times when you would want the door closed. If so maybe I really don't need an opening door window. Thanks for the input!
Old 05-17-2013, 06:16 AM   #10

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
What would be the objection of mounting the sliding window upside down so that down is good and they would stay open. That assumes a locking mechanism is in place and perhaps some other variables. Might have to put some weep holes in somehow but I would think that open is open. JMO and just thinking out loud.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:12 AM   #11

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcham1970 View Post
I did purchase a fantastic fan, which I will be installing. If I decided to go with a non opening door window, do you think the fan would circulate the air inside well enough, like at night or times when you would want the door closed. If so maybe I really don't need an opening door window. Thanks for the input!
I think you will find the Fantastic Fan more often than not was more power than you want need for such a small trailer. I rarely have mine on high.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote