Dot-It LED lamps - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-18-2007, 11:06 AM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I did purchased two of the LED lights yesterday (sale ends today). I disassembled the unit to find it is powered by 3 AAA batteries, and I have rechargeables in that size. The only issue may be that in order to change the batteries, you must remove the unit from its location, where they are held in place by sticky back tape. The packaging indicates that the units can be removed many times. I have two cedar lined closets in my Bigfoot so may install there.

Rick

Old 11-18-2007, 11:39 AM   #16

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
I did purchased two of the LED lights yesterday (sale ends today). I disassembled the unit to find it is powered by 3 AAA batteries, and I have rechargeables in that size. The only issue may be that in order to change the batteries, you must remove the unit from its location, where they are held in place by sticky back tape. The packaging indicates that the units can be removed many times. I have two cedar lined closets in my Bigfoot so may install there.

Rick
I found their advertising about being able to "remove many times" a bit off. Work around was to get some industrial strength velcro dots from Camping World. The velcro dots are just right to allow access to the screws on the back. They stay put better and it'll take a long time to wear out the velcro.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:30 PM   #17

Quote:
I found their advertising about being able to "remove many times" a bit off. Work around was to get some industrial strength velcro dots from Camping World.
++++++++++++++++

Velcro seems like a great idea. Thanks
Old 11-25-2007, 01:39 PM   #18

I had a business trip to Kelowna this past week, so checked out the LED light offering at Princess Auto. They have stores across Canada, and featured the LED light that illuminates 3 LED's, 20 LED's or all 23 LED. It is easily wall or ceiling mountable and is powered by 4 AA batteries and is about 5 1/4" in diameter.

Not sure if they will be a regular stocked item, but for the price and features, could not pass up buying one

Rick B
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pages_from_flyer_english_1__cropped2.pdf (103.2 KB, 57 views)
Old 01-20-2008, 04:34 PM   #19

Name: Rob
Trailer: 1980 Bolar 1700
Massachusetts
I found these 5 led puck lights that have been working really well. I use them just about everywhere in the house, garage, trailer, toolbox. I got mine in silver from BJ's, a three pack for $15 US but I also found them online from Walmart.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5347030

Cool thing about these is they have a full on an 1/2 power setting. They pivot 30 degrees and the lamp rotates 360 degrees on the mounting plate. The mounting plate comes with velcro and screws if you want a more permanent mount. Either way there are tabs on the plate and you just put your thumb on one, give it a tug and off it comes to replace the batteries. One tip is to pop the plate on and off a dozen times before mounting it to break it in a little as the first couple of time a bit stiff.

If you are not interested in battery changes with a little extra work you can hard wire them to your 12 volt system with a 4.5 volt car adapter from items such as a portable CD player.

http://cgi.ebay.com/JVC-CA-R455-4-5V-4-5-V...7QQcmdZViewItem

Rob
Old 02-01-2008, 02:50 AM   #20

Trailer: Compact Jr 1972
Quote:

Rick

I have one LED push-light (from my sister-in-law) like you'all are talking about that the top twists off to get to the batteries--thus the sticky-tape doesn't have to be torn off to change the batteries.

However, my brother Steve & I couldn't find any more of those (sister-in-law forgot where she got it, I think, or something along that line) but did get some of the lights you are talking about that have to be torn off of the wall (ceiling, closet door, etc.) to change the batteries. Steve cleverly disassembled them and make it so that the top portion is held to the bottom by 3 Phillips screws. To change the batteries---unscrew the screws, the top falls off (just like w/ the other one I have), change the batteries, screw back on---the bottom stays so no sticky tape rip-off problem.

I think it must have taken some time and patience for Steve to do that--especially to THREE lights! But now they are well-placed in my Compact Jr.

Cory

P.S. I did have one that had sticky tape on the back, but not that REALLY sticky (white) foam tape. It was supposed to be removable. Sure enough, it kept removing itself from the wall I put it on, generally while we were in transit! It ended up white-sticky-foam-taped to the wall, too.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:30 AM   #21

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Texas
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Costco sells a set of 6 online. They have snap on backs for battery access and come with Velcro pads and a wood screw for attachment. The local stores sell a 3 pack for $14.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?...topnav=&s=1

Tom Trostel
Old 02-03-2008, 09:09 AM   #22

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
How about a motion detecting LED. I like the idea of one for the bathroom. Sure would beat fumbling around looking for a switch.

Motion Activated Light - for RV or Home
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 12:07 PM   #23

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2005
Quote:
How about a motion detecting LED. I like the idea of one for the bathroom. Sure would beat fumbling around looking for a switch.

Motion Activated Light - for RV or Home
For $90+ I can do a lot of fumbling.

I hard wired, on its separate switch, a single LED inside the bath fixture. Its draws about 20ma, so we usually leave it on all night.

Click image for larger version

Name:	064_Bath_night_light__Medium_.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	11573

Humm, maybe a motion detecting switch would be a good addition.

Harold
Old 02-03-2008, 01:00 PM   #24

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
For $90+ I can do a lot of fumbling.
<snip>
Harold
Harold, that's four separate LED lights for $90, still not cheap at more than $20 each. But like anything may be worth it to some and not to others. I'd think one placed near the door/steps would be a good thing at night. Maybe not mounted permanently (certainly not where it would bother others at night), but in a campground where neighbors are distant... could be a nice thing if you have to get up and use the campground loo in the middle of the night!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 04:25 PM   #25

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I purchased some motion activated LED, that take 3ea AAA batteries, at CVS Store and have them all over the house and a couple in the egg. Great for stairs and other dark places. Come on by them self and last a really long time between battery replacement.

Around $8 and change.<div align='left'></div>

Tags
led lights, lighting