Double Pane Windows - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-02-2010, 05:43 AM   #15
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Sebastian, I don't have time to look for the topics right now, but instead of the expense and problems involved with installing double-pane windows, have you considered covering the windows with some sort of insulation? There's a topic where a member used reflex, patterned and cut to the window size and magnets (preglued) to mount the reflex to the inside of all the windows during cold weather. Worked well in cutting down the condensation and cold.

Just a fairly simple and cost effective solution!

Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 06:11 PM   #16
Name: Peter
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
There's another simple solution that Lynne and I plan on using: Replacing the trailer screen insert with a thin sheet of Plexiglas where the edge has been built up to match the thickness of the screen frame. You do the same thing on the inside, except teh insert has tabs that slide into the track the sliding window frame moves through.

peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:14 PM   #17
Name: Sebastian
Trailer: 2001 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Wow, Iíve been off the grid for the last week. Iím sitting here in the library in Silver City, NM. Thanks for all the input and Iíll be checking out the links.

I used plastic on my windows when I had larger RVs and as was stated, it works great. I wanted to use the plastic film on the casita windows but could not figure out a way to get a good seal with the particular metal channel that frames the windows. Any suggestions?

I have panels of Reflectix insulation that I put up against the windows at night in the winter and that definitely helps.

The 2 or 3 months in the winter when I have access to 120, I just keep a ceramic heater on its lowest setting for the really cold nights and life is pretty simple. Itís the low temp nights off the grid where life gets interesting. Thereís no heat on during the night and a vent and window are cracked open. With a winter sleeping bag and two felines sleeping against me on a 25Ē wide bed, there is no way Iím going to be cold. When itís in the low teens, sometimes I find Meadow or Onyx in the bag when I wake up. In the morning I hit the snooze button, reach over to turn on the furnace, and duck back in the bag. When the snooze alarm goes off, I turn off the furnace, light the Wave heater, and let Meadow and Onyx out. With the stove going to heat up a mug of yerba mate and the rig warming up, condensation starts dripping off all the acorn rivet caps along the ceiling. When the Reflectix panels are taken down as the sun is coming up and the window ice starts to melt, I constantly wipe the water off the windows with an Absorber towel. This is all so much fun. It would be so much easier if I did not enjoy being out in nature so much and just stayed hooked up. I also go through way too many bags of moisture absorbing crystals and I still come across mold from time to time. And this is all happening out in the New Mexico desert! Well, summer is coming.

Thanks again.

Meadow, Mesa, and Sebastian
two felines and one provider
Sebastian H is offline   Reply With Quote