Double up on insulation? - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-08-2017, 07:55 AM   #1

Name: KAY
Trailer: 1981 SCAMP 13
Missouri
Registry
Double up on insulation?

I have an '81 Scamp with intact elephant hide. I am sure it is good stuff and I don't want to remove it. I would however, like to increase the amount of insulation. It does heat up very fast sitting in the sun and I don't believe air conditioning that I plan on installing will stand a chance combating the heat.

Can I put anything over it and expect an reasonable adhesion?
Suggestions?

likeair2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:57 AM   #2

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I suppose you could add another layer, but it's doubtful that would gain you a whole lot. Perhaps you should consider something similar to a shelter? These are photos of Ian Giles setup for his Boler and his photos... I just borrowed them
Attached Thumbnails
01.jpg   02.jpg  

03.jpg  

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:23 AM   #3

Missouri
Registry
Yes, a rain fly concept has been on my mind, but being 5'-3" means I either have to carry a ladder or a tall person to do my bidding. I have been considering adding a tarp/awning over larger roof mounted pool noodles strapped down left to right, to give an air gap and keep the direct heat from the roof. I don't have an awning either so all options are still on the table. Once again, awnings of any kind can become sails in a gusty wind.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:42 AM   #4

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
You are only cooling off about 400 cubic feet. Take away your benches, closets etc. and you are probably looking at 300 cu ft. of air space.

I don't recall anybody saying their AC was not enough. Yes they heat up fast but so does a car in the sun. Why not install the AC first and see if it makes a difference.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:59 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
...These are photos of Ian Giles setup for his Boler and his photos...
I'm familiar with the Shady Boy awning on the side, but I've never seen the thing- awning, canopy, umbrella?- on top. Interesting concept. Do you have a name or link?

Living and camping in sunny places, I can affirm that shading the outside makes a much bigger difference than insulating the inside when it comes to minimizing heat gain. Covering windows with pieces of Reflectix also helps. You probably gain or lose more heat through the windows that the rest of the shell combined.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:00 AM   #6

Missouri
Registry
Well that means tearing out a window or cutting a hole in the side. Either one will be an adventure. Just trying to think of anything that will improve the efficiency once I find a good place for the air.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:15 AM   #7

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I'm familiar with the Shady Boy awning on the side, but I've never seen the thing- awning, canopy, umbrella?- on top. Interesting concept. Do you have a name or link?
Ian is out camping. I'll ask him next week and post in this thread what he says... unless he posts himself
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:25 PM   #8

Name: Elliott
Trailer: 2017 19' Escape
Everywhere
Depending on how much you care about aesthetics, a whole bunch of reflectix might help. Basically all along the outside/top, and especially in the windows.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 05:39 AM   #9

Name: Mo
Trailer: Still looking
Texas
I'm getting ready to order a cover for my van from the It's Cool in Here Web site. Perhaps a tarp from them would work. The tarps are 8' x 10'. Might be worth it to get that ladder if it works as advertised. One does not need to provide an air space for it; it works by reflecting heat.
itscoolinhere.com/

Also, what type of heat are you talking about? Southern Arizona? Florida? Texas? Are you setting up just for overnight/weekend/longer?
June Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 05:51 AM   #10

Missouri
Registry
Tarp/awning

I don't have an awning setup of any kind, so a tarp would also be my awning. If I cover the Scamp with a one piece setup and provide a little bit of gap, I can still open the escape hatch/vent if need be. If it rains, I am completely covered. With a gap the tarp/awning takes all the heat and air can circulate beneath it, keeping any sunshine heat from transferring to the camper shell.

I am going to look into the cover you suggested. Thanks for the tip!

And as far as location, THE INTENSE SUN OF THE SOUTH.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:23 PM   #11

Name: K C
Trailer: 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
One other thing to note, that reflective material used for the "its cool in here" tarps is available at various camping supply stores and online for a lot less money. Search on "all weather reflective blanket". I just bought two of them, size about 7' x 5'. Price per each about $15 but the store was having a buy one get a second item half price deal. They have grommets on the edges. Using the two together is enough length to cover my trailer roof but I plan on getting 2 more of them today so I can keep the side facing the sun cooler as well. I will sew some Keder rail welt rope on one edge of it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	keder welt.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	107678

k corbin is online now   Reply With Quote