Drain holes in a Trillium 1300? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2012, 11:39 AM   #1

Name: Larry
Trailer: Volvo 245 pulling '71 Trillium 1300
Ontario
Registry
Drain holes in a Trillium 1300?

Our 71 trillium has been drilled to death in its lifetime. I'm planning to seal it all back up as part of the repaint process.

I'm just wondering if any of the holes in the very bottom are meant to be there - for drainage of condensation or something? Is it a bad idea to seal them all up? In particular there are two holes that are in the bottom of the "wells" beneath the front bench seat (one on either side of the trailer). They are symmetrical so they appear to be factory installed. But they are the size of a quarter - seems like an invitation for road spray while towing and mouse infiltration during storage.

The first photo shows one of the pair of large holes - it is right in front of the wheel well (showing driver's side in this pic).

The second shows the passenger side also in front of the wheel well. One of those 2 small holes is duplicated on the driver's side, the other must have been a previous owner's "upgrade".

Behind the wheels there are smaller holes on both sides, similar to the ones in the second photo.

Which can I seal and which (if any) need to remain open?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
trill-holes-1.JPG   trill-holes-2.JPG  

coalminecanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I don't have a Trillium, but I added drain holes to my camper and then inserted a screen vent plug to keep out the creepy crawlies. You will get water in occasionally and it is nice to have a way for it to escape without ruining your floor.

They look similar to these:

HOLE PLUG BUTTON VENT/DRAIN & SCREEN 1 HOLE STEEL STRIP BRIGHT NICKEL PLATE - Metal Plug Buttons - PLUGS & CAPS
Old 06-21-2012, 12:44 PM   #3

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
I have holes just like that in mine. One in each corner. Nothing has ever came in yet but I do plan on doing something with them, just don't know what. I had placed duck (duct) tape on them once but that was long ago and it has fallen off.
Steve DeWeese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:45 PM   #4

Name: Rod
Trailer: 2014 GWV Trillium Sidekick 1500
British Columbia
Registry
My '78 has them in the rear wells, just behind the tires, but they are really small, not the size of a quarter or even a dime but probably about 2-3mm diameter. I used to think that they would let spray in from the road, but I have been through some pretty wet roads for hours due to where I live, and maybe because mine has mud flaps there has never been even a drop of water in them.

~Rodre

I am a Trilliumaire - I can go camping anytime, any place, anywhere.
Rodre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:50 AM   #5

Name: Larry
Trailer: Volvo 245 pulling '71 Trillium 1300
Ontario
Registry
Thanks - I'm going to seal up all of the ones that are clearly asymmetrical and take a look at screens for the others.

Great to hear from the other owners as always!
coalminecanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:21 AM   #6

Name: Richard
Trailer: 13' Trillium
British Columbia
My 74 Trillium sprung a leak under the sink when a hose cracked. I did not notice the leak until I saw water draining out the bottom of the trailer.

When changing the hose I saw that there is a channel and a drain hole to catch any leaks.

That's one hole you might want to keep.
RichardinBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:29 AM   #7

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
I have a 75 Trillium and YES there are drainhole as you say, about 3 per side. They are only the size of a pencil and should be kept open.
Nothing would be worst than to see an ocean of water sloshing around in the storage areas.
Ron
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:47 PM   #8

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
My holes are bigger than a pencil. It is more like a 1/2 inch.
Steve DeWeese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:57 PM   #9

Name: Fred
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Washington
Registry
I chose to close up my drain holes in my redo.

I also glassed over the top of the storage areas so water can't get to those low spots.

I do have one exception, I do have a hole near my water tank, for draining that, an any water that gets to that low point.

--Fred and Natalie
1978 Trillium 4500 "Bernerwagon"
freddo411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:51 AM   #10

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
The problem with FG trailers water can seep in from other places and run down the inside walls, so in my opinion those drain holes should be left open for the unseen.
Had my 75 trilliun in the garage over the winter( Sept till now) for restoration and all looked well and dry. Had it up on blocks but when I let down one end to get under I had about 2 qt of water run out of drain holes in one side, must have been in an area I couldn't see. I had painted all the storage areas back in November.
So all that looks well ain't all the time.
Ron
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium