Drilling holes to hang kitchen stuff? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2015, 05:20 PM   #1

Name: Michelle
Trailer: Scamp
Arizona
Drilling holes to hang kitchen stuff?

I am trying to figure out a way to keep utensils, spices and other kitchen type small things handy. I saw this setup using an Ikea rack but it looks like they drilled holes in the fiberglass. Is this ok? If I seal up the outside with one of those plastic button cover things and silicone?

picture:
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/508554982895805285/
shechelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 05:33 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
The trailer in the ad appears to have a double wall with an inside and outside and it could be mounted to just the inside panel.
You could hang it as you mentioned but "what if" down the road it rusted and you didn't want it any longer?
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 05:48 PM   #3

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
I'd try some of the 3M command strips, if not too heavy and they fit. Or maybe 3M Very High Bond 2 sided tape, there are different strengths of it.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:48 PM   #4

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I actually bought this setup for my Scamp, but my plan is to mount the bars UNDER the cabinets. I bought enough to go the length of the cabinets, but I have not yet decided how far from the wall or inside of the cabinet.
If you mount the bar near the wall then you can approximate the distance from the wall that direct mounting would give you.
We were also going to use the bars for hanging towels etc.
If you have cabinets over the kitchen work surface like most you are good to go!
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:08 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Anything hanging from a bar will swing during travel and eventually you will have all kind of circular marks on the wall that they contact while swinging. Learned the hard way................

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:50 PM   #6

Name: Kim
Trailer: Scamp
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Anything hanging from a bar will swing during travel and eventually you will have all kind of circular marks on the wall that they contact while swinging. Learned the hard way................
I just did the 3M Command strip hooks in my bus. I too thought the same thing on the utensils scraping the side of the cabinet. To solve that problem I am hanging pot holders so they can't rub.

This pic only shows one pot holder but there is a hook for another. I just need to go find me some cute pot holders first.

KimScamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 08:12 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimScamp View Post
I just did the 3M Command strip hooks in my bus. I too thought the same thing on the utensils scraping the side of the cabinet. To solve that problem I am hanging pot holders so they can't rub.

This pic only shows one pot holder but there is a hook for another. I just need to go find me some cute pot holders first.

HEY! that looks just like the VW Camper Van we had, a 1971 model. Had it for 11 years, We still have some of the parts from it that we use with our 16 ft Scamp. the electric cord, canopy tie down cords that came with a sideroom tent. After 4 or 5 more VW's we went to Japanese brands when the Eurovan came out with engine in front.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:23 PM   #8

Name: joe
Trailer: burro 1982
Tennessee
I used VHB tape or 3 m 2 sided works too. I then went to Lowes and bought a dozen or so rectangular strong magnets and put a long strip under the cabinet behind the 2 burner stove. all my utensils hold there fine. I have a 13 ft 1986 Burro.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:58 PM   #9

Name: Sabrina
Trailer: Escape -17
California
I did install an ikea system under the cabinets. Works great. I just remove the containers while under way.. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1433739311.500610.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	85053Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1433739311.500610.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	85053 this photo was taken just after arriving at our site so canisters are not filled yet..the little shelf at the far end does have some things on it already.
I put some wood blocks ,thin, inside the cabinets for strength.
Best of luck with however you go

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Sabrinascamper is offline   Reply With Quote