Drop down bed 17 foot bigfoot. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2012, 11:43 AM   #1

Name: Darcy
Trailer: FG140
British Columbia
Drop down bed 17 foot bigfoot.

Hi:
I have a 17 foot bigfoot trailer model 25B175CB "I think" and I we have been getting tired of having to drop down the dinette, Make the bed, and rearrange it back to normal in the morning. I have been considering putting in a drop down bed above the dinette so the bed doesn't have to be made. I also find the cushions to be very uncomfortable to sleep on with the dinette bed. Has anyone done this? Any ideas how to do this?

Thanks in advance.
biggoolies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:07 PM   #2

Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ftCB / 2003 Honda Odyssey
Drop down bed 17 foot bigfoot.

My wife and I use the pull out bed at the rear of the trailer. We leave it set up all the time and rarely need to use the dinette bed, unless I'm trailering with one of my male friends.
Mike .....>
Michael Pupeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:56 PM   #3

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
We purchased our new 13' Scamp (with "sofa/bunkbeds, no bathroom) summer of 2011. I was quite surprised to find that we, too, leave the bed set up most of the time. At breakfast time we boil water for coffee and oatmeal, sit on the edge of the bed and on the "sofa" for our quick breakfast. This takes all of 20minutes. The rest of the day, afternoon and early evening we are outside (weather permitting) hiking all day, making dinner, sitting around the campfire and going to bed (reading before lights are out). So far, we have not encountered inclement weather and have not needed to set up the dinette.

We had the same uncomfortable bed concerns for our Scamp. The seating cushions turned out to be so uncomfortable (like sleeping on a table) we finally splurged and purchased a 2" memory foam topper from Target for about $30. I cut the foam to the exact size of the bed then cut it into two long strips each 22 1/2" wide by 76" long. One cushion is a rectangle and the other has two curves to match the inside of the Scamp. I covered each memory foam piece with 100% cotton knit (think T-shirt soft) as if it were a cushion, with a zipper on the end. Now we have the softest, cushiest, mattress pad! We sleep right on the pad and on top of us we place one or more comforters depending on the temperature. In warmer weather we sleep between the two comforters; one on top and one on the bottom. This method eliminates the need for sheets. We wash the mattress cover and comforters (as needed) after each trip.

As for storage; each 1/2 mattress cover rolls into a cylinder about 22 1/2" wide by 10" high (each one is about the size of one sleeping bag). We secure the roll with luggage straps and store the rolls under the dinette bench (see photo). The bigger question is where to store the comforters! I have several solutions. #1) For when I leave the bed set up for the day. (see photo) Fold the comforter in half (mine are about 90" wide by 76" long) so they are 45" wide by 76" long when folded. When folded this way they fit flat on top of the bed when it is set up and looks like a neatly made-up bed. #2) Fold the comforter in half and place over the dinette cushions (no photo). Put one comforter over each dinette chair and tuck in over the top, at the seat back and over the cushion front. This way the comforters add a decorative touch to the seats without requiring more storage space. #3 More recently, I roll the comforters over a cylinder (ask for an empty fabric roll from a fabric store) a little over 45" wide (2-3" diameter) and secure the roll with luggage straps (see photo). I place the roll resting between the dinette chairs spanning the leg space under the table (no photo). This way the comforters are out of the way and ready to use at a moment's notice without using precious cargo space!

I'd also like to share another bedding tip (see photos). You can see in my photos that I have two medium-weight comforters with two different designs. Depending on my decorating mood I put one or the other design on top. A big issue for my husband and me is the shifting of covers in the night. We each have different preferences for covers AND the covers tend to shift and fall off during the night. We ruled out sleeping bags or zippers connecting the comforters as being too confining and hot. The solution we came up with is to connect the comforters with loop and button connectors. Now it is easy for me to unbutton one comforter layer silently while my husband sleeps blissfully with two comforters!
Best to you,
Gilda
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Interior October 2011 022.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 023.jpg  

SCAMP Interior October 2011 025.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 026.jpg  

SCAMP Interior October 2011 027.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 028.jpg  

SCAMP Interior October 2011 030.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 031.jpg  

SCAMP Interior October 2011 032.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 033.jpg  

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:45 PM   #4

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Drop down? Are you thinking from the ceiling? I doubt the roof/ceiling has the support to add a drop down bed. Might be wrong, but most likely not. My parents had a Class A a bazillion years ago that had a "drop down" bed. It was great, but the structure was designed by the manufacture at the factory. Not sure after factory that could be done. Or at least not without a lot of added weight. Hopefully you can find another solution! Good luck!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:02 AM   #5

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 13 ft and 2003 Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17CB)
Hi Darcy, We sleep on the rear slide out couch in our 15B17CB, only 40 inches wide! I thought about a mod like this:http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...mod-51833.html Then you could add foam and leave the table up. Tony
Tony Nowak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:28 PM   #6

British Columbia
Thanks for the comments so far very helpful and thanks for the time to do it. I was hoping to create some way to make an almost queen sized bed in her but I think I am dreaming. At least your help will make it as comfortable as possible with what I have to work with.
Darcy
Old 10-16-2012, 11:13 PM   #7

British Columbia
About the drop down bed I was actually thinking of some support from underneath with actuators rather than support from the ceiling.
Darcy
Old 10-17-2012, 02:12 PM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
My parents' moho had drop down beds front and rear. Each was 2 panels, hinged. They folded vertical against the bulkhead, then at night we'd pull 2 slider pins and pull lightly on the bottom, leading edge of the near panel. The top edge came down to become the middle of the bed, along with the top edge of panel 2 (hinged together at that point). I think the panels rested on some support rails on both side walls. There was room for the 2 piece cushion "mattress" set and bedding behind panel 2. It was pretty effective and easy.

Not sure if the Bigfoot is square enough to install such a setup?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:35 PM   #9

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggoolies View Post
About the drop down bed I was actually thinking of some support from underneath with actuators rather than support from the ceiling.
Darcy
I've seen Drop-down bunks over the Driver's area in some Class-A motor-homes. Here is a video of one. Look at time 2:20.

2012 ACE Motorhome Video Tour by Thor Motor Coach - YouTube

The motor-homes have a full cage frame so they can attach this equipment to the sides without visible support. You may have to engineer something that encroaches into the dinette's space a little.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:07 PM   #10

Name: Gary & Sonja
Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot B17G
California
Registry
We have a 17 ft BF and sleep in the pull out gaucho. Were both on the shorter side so the length works for us. We also enjoy the snuggle aspect. The dinette is for working/eating and the dogs sleeping area. Works put great.
Pomfritz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot