Dropping frame off compact jr - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2016, 07:01 PM   #1

Name: Jessica and Miles
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr
Pennsylvania
Registry
Dropping frame off compact jr

We have a 1972 compact jr with a rusty tongue, axle, leaf springs and frame. In order to do the restoration right, we want to drop the frame off the fiberglass body and then I guess we would have it sand blasted and refinished before re attaching the body onto it.

Anybody out there done this and able to advise a total newbie in how to go about it?
MilesandJess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:49 AM   #2

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Do a search here as you will find several threads concerning removal of the egg from the chassis. You can also to the UHAUL Camper Facebook site as there are several "How To" there for review.
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 09:14 AM   #3

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
look under the seats.....

and you will find the attachment bolts. they should be inspected anyway for rust.
john madill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 02:15 PM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
"Been there, done that" (Sandblasted and painted frame while trailer-shell was removed) - and - strongly suggest having four (or perhaps six) extra pieces of 'angle-iron' welded to the side of your frame, while it's off, to which you can add additional new bolts, to help hold down your trailer-shell.
bullfrogeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 02:24 PM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesandJess View Post
We have a 1972 compact jr with a rusty tongue, axle, leaf springs and frame. In order to do the restoration right, we want to drop the frame off the fiberglass body and then I guess we would have it sand blasted and refinished before re attaching the body onto it.

Anybody out there done this and able to advise a total newbie in how to go about it?
I did our Boler just last spring/summer...ours only had 2 bolts holding the floor to the frame if I recall...getting the body to clear the frame (the wheel wells in particular) was a choir...had to crib and recrib the body as we inched the trailer frame out from the body...once the frame was out we sat the body on ground so the wind couldn't get under it and knock it off the cribbing...as far as the frame I did some welding repair of sheet metal that has rusted out in a couple of spots and a support under the floor at the door, other wise the frame was in great shape for a '71. I didn't go with sandblasting as their was no place reasonable close so I wire brushed with a angle grinder and by hand and sanded with an electric sander where I could and then by hand the rest. Primed with tractor supply gray primer and used a rustoleum gloss black over that for the frame and axle.

One very good tip I thought of afterwards is to make as many reference marks as you can of where the body lines up to the frame so when it goes back on you know it is in the right spot, same for the flooring if you replace it while the body is off.

All else I can say is you are brave and good luck!
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:07 AM   #6

Name: Jessica and Miles
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr
Pennsylvania
Registry
Thanks for the awesome advice!! Glad to have you mention making reference marks, as I'm sure that was a lesson learned the hard way.

We found somebody local who will sandblast the frame and cover it with Bar-Rust and new paint, so we'll be having that done for sure.

This is what we're starting with. Can't wait to show *after* photos too...
Attached Thumbnails
2016-03-14_152702796_1ECEC_iOS.jpg  
MilesandJess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:05 PM   #7

Name: Talia
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr.
USA
I know this is an older thread now, but I just did a body-off removal of a Compact Jr so that the frame could be worked on. It was a one-person job, and not a lot of muscle power involved. Would be happy to step through it for anyone that may need to know how in the future.
Talia is offline   Reply With Quote