DUMB QUESTION- removable or opening main windows - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2015, 03:12 PM   #1

Name: Lethbridge
Trailer: 13' Boler
Alberta
DUMB QUESTION- removable or opening main windows

Hi everyone. Like I said I know this is probably a dumb question. But has anybody ever modified the larger windows on a 13' boler so that they can open or be removed? I am thinking of modifying it as a little "store front"

ideas????
davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 03:33 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by davis View Post
Hi everyone. Like I said I know this is probably a dumb question. But has anybody ever modified the larger windows on a 13' boler so that they can open or be removed? I am thinking of modifying it as a little "store front"

ideas????
No such thing as a "dumb" question!

It's going to be hard because the front and rear shell is a compound curve. Windows that open typically require a flat surface. When Scamp changed to sliders on the back, they redid the upper mold to create a flat space for the window.

What if you changed to a larger window on the street side of the trailer, sort of like a Perris Pacer or L'il Bigfoot?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 11:10 PM   #3

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
DUMB QUESTION- removable or opening main windows

Again, no such thing as a dumb question!

We are actually trying to figure out how to do the same thing to our 1976 13' Scamp. We have some good friends that are really good with fiberglass and together we are working that direction.

Take a look at the trailers that have flat windows front and/or rear. The fiberglass would either need to be built out or in to create a flat opening.

This is a bit down the road but plenty of time to find a solution. Our Scamp needs a lot of fiberglass repair, this will be after we gain more skill...

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
bobkatr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:02 AM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I mean no disrespect to Scamp, Boler, or any other brand that adheres to that form factor, but if you want a flat spot where the windows are, sell you trailer and buy an old Trillium. All the windows, even the one in the door, (in later models) are mounted on a flat surface.

Joe Thoen built several concession Trillium 1300's. The back and side windows were hinged at the top and opened up and out to provide a small awning for the customers. There was a bulkhead across the trailer, where the closet and kitchen would have been, and the stock room was ahead of that bulkhead. The door for the trailer opened into the stock room. There was also four flood lights, in a row, on the top of the trailer, above the rear opening window.

One of them was for sale, a couple of years ago, in Alberta for a long time. It was not very expensive.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 02:25 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Good point, David, especially as the OP is in Alberta. Vintage Trilliums are rare down my way. I'm thinking the wraparound open shelf on many of the old Trilliums might be a handy feature in a concession trailer.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windows