Dupli-color to paint Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2017, 08:00 AM   #1

Name: Jeroen
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
Dupli-color to paint Scamp

The 1977 Scamp that I'm fixing up needs to be painted, as the gel coat is bad. I think it would look great in the same color as my truck; Toyota magnetic gray.

Has anyone ever tried using Duplicolor BTY1619 Perfect Match Touch-Up Paint Magnetic Gray to spray a fiberglass camper? The instruction video shows it being used to paint plastic bumpers and such.

One can contains 8 oz. I found online that a Scamp 13 takes about a gallon, so that would be 16 cans. A can is 7.32 (https://www.jbtoolsales.com/duplicol...magnetic-gray/), so that would be a total of 117 dollars to get the paint done. Pretty cheap if it looks decent.
jeroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:31 AM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I've never been happy with rattle can finishes on large areas. I always get misting. Here's a method I would consider if I wanted to paint my trailer. Worth a look.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ing-57412.html
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:52 AM   #3

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Rattle can paint

Raz I am in the process of painting our Hunter l, lower half, with a rattle can blue. I was not able to get anything close to a smooth finish. The finished product is o.k. but will definitely not win first in show ( or even 2nd ,3rd etc ) anywhere. Could be , and probably is, that I am not very good at painting as I have no experience in that realm. Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:33 AM   #4

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Paul painted our 1973 amerigo over dark brown; he was meticulous and diligent with the prep work (vital) and had the windows out (and the interior was gutted, so any splashed paint was irrelevant).

He used marine enamel and a foam "got dog" (closed end) roller--and rolled for all he was worth. He tried roll & tip but for him the "tip" wasn't working well. The paint did self-level eventually; he sanded before all coats and wiped with tack cloth and washed with acetone after fiberglassing holes...

There are videos online and numerous threads here on FGRV that detail the procedures. Brightside Marine Enamel and some other high-end brands get high marks here...

WE used Rustoleum MARINE enamel primer and topside top coat paint both in premixed white...we were very pleased with our results.

YMMV--many people have used somewhat different techniques and products and many have been very pleased with their results.

BEST
Kai
Attached Thumbnails
1A 2 In our driveway October 2015.jpg   Peanut 8 2016 E.jpg  

Old 08-02-2017, 10:59 AM   #5

Painting

Kai Great looking job on your trailer and kudos to your husband !! I wish I had gone that route but alas I am now done with the Hunter l. although not what I had hoped for but the trailer certainly looks better than before. Lee
Old 08-02-2017, 11:43 AM   #6

Name: Henry
Trailer: Scamp 2017 16-ft SD / FB
Texas
Painting

Call Maaco, not cheap but a much better job than rattle can with a lot less work. Ask yourself what would I do if my car needed a paint job.
Gattopuin64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 01:00 PM   #7

Registry
Hi, Lee Senn..

Thanks! Sorry, didn't realize it was a completely done deal. I agree that a rattle can doesn't do a totally even job...but I bet it DOES look a lot better than before, and you can always sand lightly and roll a bit on some other year if you feel it's important.

You could also consider the "lace" technique from the 70's--you get a bit of lace yardage, tape it over the blue paint, and spray over that with white enamel. Then you pull the lace away and move it to a new section--voila, lace over blue!

Don't know if that's quite your thing...but it would hide the slight irregularities of the blue. We used to see it on muscle cars for a while back when the pterodactyls darkened the skies.

BEST
Kai
Old 08-02-2017, 01:01 PM   #8

Registry
As long as I'm here causing trouble, any pics of your work? Always interested!

Kai
Old 08-02-2017, 01:03 PM   #9

Name: Jeroen
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
I think I'll try the door first and see how it comes out. If it looks crappy then I'll try roll and tip instead. I just thought making it match the color of the truck would look pretty awesome, and the red decals from Scamp would looks great on the magnetic gray.
jeroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 01:27 PM   #10

Painting

Kai The lace over idea is interesting. I may try it sometime in the future ( may go with something else like snowflakes etc. lace might damage my fragile male ego ). Lee
Old 08-02-2017, 01:40 PM   #11

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Kai, your trailer looks great. I would have never guessed you could get results like that with a roller! When we were married and moving into our very first apartment in '71, our new next door neighbors were hippies. They decided to paint their VW micro bus. Prep work wasn't even a consideration. They dumped a gallon of Rustoleum primer in a tray and went to town using high-nap rollers. There were about 5 of them rolling paint and joints at the same time. The only windows that escaped paint, were the ones they rolled down. When they finished; it looked like stucco. They were pleased as punch. Still laugh when ever I think about it.

TomK
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 02:50 PM   #12

Name: J Ronald
Trailer: Casita 17 ft. Liberty Deluxe
North Carolina
I agree with Kai. I've painted boats with Interlude Brightside with very good results. No brush tipping, use small white foam rollers, change them out before they start to fall apart. Roll it until it is sticky and it will not run. Prime with the interlude primer recommended. I tried Rust Oleom marine paint, not good. Fair any nicks and scratches with Marine text or something similar then sand. This paint is very forgiving. After an hour you will be amazed at how well it is leveling out. A coat of Teflon rises to the top as it cures, this makes it easy to clean. Do not wax it, wax removes the Teflon. I learned the hard way.
J Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 02:54 PM   #13

Name: J Ronald
Trailer: Casita 17 ft. Liberty Deluxe
North Carolina
PS. Colors cannot be added to brightside but different colors of the paint can be mixed. I mixed white with a color to lighten it.
J Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:14 PM   #14

Registry
Thanks, all. Good luck to you painting your trailers. At least the paint will dry this time of year!

LOL about the "stucco" look. There were definitely decades when we'd have gone that route...and cars and camping rigs we'd have felt it was improving...

I agree about the decals...never underestimate the power of a properly placed decal~!

"Peanut" -- one shell with two nuts in it.

BEST
Kai
Attached Thumbnails
Peanut 8 2016 B.jpg   Peanut 8 2016 C.jpg  

Old 08-02-2017, 04:15 PM   #15

Name: Dave
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 16 Delux
Oregon
Registry
Matching truck paint

Before I finished my Scamp 16 rebuild I decided to have the truck painted with my old Toyota color. White trucks kind a makes me think of city trucks. Both the truck and the Scamp are painted by professional auto people, because I couldn't begin to get a decent job with a rattle can or the tip method. This is just a picture to show you how they match.

Dave Heffner
Roseburg, OR
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0028.jpg  
SouthwestOregon201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:20 PM   #16

Registry
Dave ... VERY nice; lovely jobs! And what a match! Almost look like you planned it that way!

We just rolled our trailer in the general color of our "new" van...
we figure it's good enough for the likes of us:

I'd have loved to do a different color on the bottom half...but I know myself too well. After six months, I'd want a different color, and a new interior color scheme to match. So I kept it KISS and am possessing my soul with patience.

BEST
Kai
Attached Thumbnails
Peanut 8 2016 D.jpg  
Old 08-08-2017, 11:01 PM   #17

Name: Jan
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
the problem with most Dupli Color rattle cans is they are lacquer based, they dry fast but have no shine, they are meant to be clear coated. I think PO used a fluffy roller to paint my boler. Paint is rock hard so I am going to try wet sand a small area and power buff it to see if it helps
Jan
Jan Dyke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, scamp