Egg Camper half closet - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-23-2011, 06:06 AM   #15

Name: Ron
Trailer: Eggless for now.
Formerly NH, now full timing
Registry
Shelves in my EggCamper

Hi Bob,
I too have an EggCamper and added shelving to both closets. The easiest way to attach shelving is to use 3M 4200 Fast Cure adhesive to mount small blocks of wood directly to the fiberglass walls. Measure up from the floor of the closet to define a line on the insulation where your shelf will be. Cut away a small section of the insulation where you want to mount the block and clean the surface with MEK or acetone to remove any adhesive from the insulation. Apply an ample amount of the 4200 and press the block to the fiberglass. If you cut the insulation so that the block gets some support from the remaining edge of the insulation, you don't even have to clamp the block. The 4200 will hold it against the wall and the insulation will keep it from slipping down. Wait 24 hours before trying to attach anything to the block. I used maple (hardwood) for blocks and 1/4 birch plywood for the shelves. The hardwood holds a screw really well.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
LargeCloset.jpg   SmallCloset.jpg  

MountBlocks1.jpg   TestFitShelves1.jpg  

Old 04-23-2011, 06:14 AM   #16

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
Michigan
Thanks. It's always good to hear from somebody who's "been there and done that." Is the all electric working ok for you? Though our house is all electric, it'll be new to have an RV that is.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:24 AM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
Thanks. It's always good to hear from somebody who's "been there and done that." Is the all electric working ok for you? Though our house is all electric, it'll be new to have an RV that is.
We've been camping for a couple of years in the EggCamper and early on I bought a honda 2000eu generator. But since then, I've only used the generator once and now I'm thinking of adding some solar to charge the battery. (Solar is much quieter and doesn't offend neighboring campers.) On most weekend trips, power isn't a problem. The fridge is very efficient and will go a couple of days without charging. I modified all the lighting to replace the incandescent with LEDs. Except for state and federal parks in the north, most places have electric hookups. We cook mostly outside with a small propane stove, just like we did when we tented.

If you're anywhere near NY or PA, you should join us at the Pocono Rally this summer. Check out the Calendar on the left.

Ron
Old 04-23-2011, 06:57 AM   #18

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron F View Post
We've been camping for a couple of years in the EggCamper and early on I bought a honda 2000eu generator. But since then, I've only used the generator once and now I'm thinking of adding some solar to charge the battery. (Solar is much quieter and doesn't offend neighboring campers.) On most weekend trips, power isn't a problem. The fridge is very efficient and will go a couple of days without charging. I modified all the lighting to replace the incandescent with LEDs. Except for state and federal parks in the north, most places have electric hookups. We cook mostly outside with a small propane stove, just like we did when we tented.

If you're anywhere near NY or PA, you should join us at the Pocono Rally this summer. Check out the Calendar on the left.

Ron
Ron,
You still haven't reversed your closet door? I found it awkward to open it and then having to step back. Also I see on the newer models the catch on the street side is 2/3 way up, I guess so someone sitting at the dinette would not brush back on it. That move is still to be done as I have not brushed or leaned back while sitting. I like your shelving, mine was done by the factory and not as compartmentized as yours.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:30 AM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Ron,
You still haven't reversed your closet door? I found it awkward to open it and then having to step back. Also I see on the newer models the catch on the street side is 2/3 way up, I guess so someone sitting at the dinette would not brush back on it. That move is still to be done as I have not brushed or leaned back while sitting. I like your shelving, mine was done by the factory and not as compartmentized as yours.
Thanks. After first installing the curb side shelves, I added the divider, which then allowed me to use those little bars that you stretch across the front to keep things from falling off the shelves while traveling. When I added the shelving, I moved the closet pole to the street side closet, placed it high up in the closet. It's shorter and bit more difficult to access, but we don't bring many hanging clothes when we camp.

The door mounting for the closet works as is for us. We cook outside almost always and we often just reach in for things in the closet.

I really like your electric cord modification and small hatch on the street side.

My next projects for the EggCamper are an Atwood propane furnace and solar panels. I think with those mods, we'll have some additional options for off-the-grid camping.

I'm looking forward to checking out yours and other folks modifications at the Poconos.

We're lovin' our EggCamper. Even on rainy days, it never feels cramped.

Ron
Old 04-23-2011, 07:43 AM   #20

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Yes, so am I. It will not be long before July in the Poconos, I'm hoping to get up there next month to check it out and try the WaveIII install.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:41 AM   #21

Name: B & N
Trailer: View
Michigan
Registry
Closet Shelves

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
Thanks for the photos. How did you attach the streetside shelves? My Egg has an electric cord hatch on the outside but not a detachable cord.
This is what I did for the larger closet - same concept will work for the smaller closet. Simple, quick and light - - all the things I aim for in mods ;-)

I also included a wide shot of the front of the Egg showing reversed closet hinge, new folding shower door, painted wood doors and new knobs - - we like the softer look.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
P4020252.jpg   P4020249.jpg  

P4020247.jpg   P4060260.jpg  

Old 04-28-2011, 12:23 PM   #22

Pennsylvania
Registry
Bill,
What is that paint color called, i like it.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:26 PM   #23

Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Bill,
What is that paint color called, i like it.
Thanks! It's Walmart paint - Kilz water base, Satin finish - - 'Mountain Canyon'. It went on smooth. We also like the color - it feels more like a home than a camper.

I got my second set of tail lights mounted - LED in 4" round above the originals. They are too bright to look at directly even in daytime! Also, put five sets of LED in the interior light fixtures - they should work great! I'm running wires fro the furnace, LP alarm and thermostat today - have the furnace opening enlarged and furnace setting in roughed in opening - located the appropriate LP fittings today for my two stage regulator and pigtail - hope to bring all this together by the weekend. Then time to re-pack the wheel bearings - I picked up the new seals today (only $4 each for dbl seals w/ springs).

I'll include a few additional pix - one shows the actual paint finish (you can still see the wood grain with one coat) - a view of the rear of egg with new paint color - comparative pic showing small table with original clear finish and new color on the doors.

Hope this helps a bit - but in reality I know it will just create additions to your 'to do' list ;-)

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
EC_paint finish.jpg   EC_rear.jpg  

EC_comp.jpg  
Old 04-30-2011, 08:08 AM   #24

Name: Ray
Trailer: 21' Escape - former owner of 17' "other brand."
Florida
Registry
Our favorite modification is making the table 6 1/2 inches longer. It still doesn't get in the way and we don't feel quite so cramped when we eat now. After buying our Eggcamper two years ago I suggested to Jim Palmer raising the latch on the inside closet and putting a bumper on the door where it hits the sharp corner of the awning bracket. I'm glad to hear he has raised the latch, do any of you know if he has done anything about the door hitting the awning bracket?
Attached Thumbnails
New Bigger Table.jpg  
Old 04-30-2011, 09:53 AM   #25

Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Escape 21
South Carolina
Registry
Oh, Bill Robinson....I love that color on the cabs....love that the woodgrain still shows. Mr and I plan on a similar scheme in ours....gonna replace the rug floor with driftwood colored vinyl laminate. After a gloomy weekend with dogs and peeps tracking the rug, it's next thing on the list of mods.

Thank you for the pix. Could you post another showing the microwave from a little further back? We've been discussing the pros and cons of such in Li'l Scamp.

J of J&C

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:22 PM   #26

Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2yax2go View Post
Oh, Bill Robinson....I love that color on the cabs....love that the woodgrain still shows. Mr and I plan on a similar scheme in ours....gonna replace the rug floor with driftwood colored vinyl laminate. After a gloomy weekend with dogs and peeps tracking the rug, it's next thing on the list of mods.

Thank you for the pix. Could you post another showing the microwave from a little further back? We've been discussing the pros and cons of such in Li'l Scamp.

J of J&C
Josie - Thanks! If you look above this post you will see another photo of the micro - - and here are a couple more. I don't have many 'glamour' shots - I usually snap some while in a project - you will notice the paint sample on the side of the micro and no door knobs installed below.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
EC_micro3.jpg   EC_micro1.jpg  

Old 04-30-2011, 01:16 PM   #27

Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Escape 21
South Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Robison View Post
Josie - Thanks! If you look above this post you will see another photo of the micro - - and here are a couple more. I don't have many 'glamour' shots - I usually snap some while in a project - you will notice the paint sample on the side of the micro and no door knobs installed below.

Bill
Thanx, Bill....one ?.....where's the wiring? I see no visible plug.

I love the clean lines and color scheme of your Egg.

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 01:30 PM   #28

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
Michigan
The plug to the micro has to be behind it. Ours came from the factory as standard equipment along with a one burner hot plate.

Tags
eggcamper