EggCamper Internal Measurements - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-15-2014, 01:09 PM   #15

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron F View Post
Dale, Problems developed over time with the rear bumper location. The square tube bumper starts to rust and the thin walls of the bumper tube is easily crushed and eventually fails. Ron
Thanks, Ron. Does the tubular rear bumper seems pretty robust. Does it rust from the inside out due to moisture from the "stinky slinky" and rain splashing through the vent holes in the rubber end caps? I'd be happy to store the slinky elsewhere (the previous owner stored it in a heavy duty plastic bag on the floor of the shower) and plug those end vent holes if that will help preserve the bumper as a location for the spare tire. Dale

Old 08-16-2014, 04:53 AM   #16

Name: Ron
Trailer: Eggless for now.
Formerly NH, now full timing
Registry
Dale,
Yeah, it looks beefy, but it's not. It rusts from the inside, then the wall fails. And, if you store your stinky slinky inside the bumper, the rust will chafe the hose and cause it to leak after a while, and then it'll really be stinky and messy. I recommend the PVC storage tube that you can get at most RV places. They're a bit pricey, but you'll forget where the extra $ went long before the stink goes away :-). I installed a piece of 4" PVC pipe to store my slinky, but it was too small for some brands of waste hose. I was lucky to find one that just barely fit.

Don't "cheap out" on this one. Get the bumper reinforced and don't store your hose inside.

Ron

Old 09-02-2014, 10:31 PM   #17

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Alabama
John, After a closer look, I'm doubting if you can fit a 29" x 21" x 21" fridge in the entry closet without it sticking out into the entry area 2-3". I was still curious and had a little time this evening, so I took some cardboard and tape and made a little mock-up box that was 30" x 21" x 21", and it did not quite fit back into the closet. So question, when you say the fridge you're looking at is 20.5" deep, is that total depth, with say 2" sticking out the front and 18.5" extending back into the cabinet? If that's the case, then it still might work. But if you need to have 20.5" clearance behind the cabinet wall, then it looks to me like it won't fit. And even if it does fit, it will really compromise your ability to get in behind the fuse/breaker box where all the main wiring is. You'd probably have to remove the fridge to do any serious service to your core electrical system. Dale
Old 03-03-2016, 12:18 PM   #18

Name: Crystal
Trailer: 2008 Fun FinderX 160, wanted Eggcamper all electric
Michigan
were dimensions of the bed from wall to isle given? also if from edge of bed to front of a/c,and a/c to fridge be given. I am trying to figure out if I can mod a fold out bed in that space before I make a move on a purchase.....planning a mod before the egg, but this way I am one step ahead on plans
Old 03-04-2016, 08:41 AM   #19

Alabama
Crystal, I'm not sure what you're asking. The A/C and frig are on opposite sides of the center aisle (A/C street side, frig curb side). Please let me know just what it is you're trying to do, and I'll get you some measurements. Dale
Old 03-04-2016, 02:13 PM   #20

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Crystal, I'm not sure what you're asking. The A/C and frig are on opposite sides of the center aisle (A/C street side, frig curb side). Please let me know just what it is you're trying to do, and I'll get you some measurements. Dale
The "open" floor area. I am trying to see if I can do a mod similar to the drawer under the bed mod. someone did (2 drawers that pull out and have totes under the bed). I want to have one door open for a platform unit that comes out directly alongside the seats that will have drop legs to allow a quick "2nd" bed option for 2 vs having the seats be a singe bed. So very similar mod but with the added extra bed enclosed that can easily push back into the under bed storage. I see things like murphy beds etc that really have me curious about installing something similar. I was thinking depending on the bed depth to wall, there could be a drop down door that hides the cot platfrom which pulls out and then the legs can fold out and lock in place. If you don't need it, it will store inside itself contained. Then I figured having a drawer directly below that will a roll up mat similar to how you would roll a yoga mat to lay out across both to make one bigger bed, somehow connecting it via the table and the cot with a latch or buckle. I realize that the bed will likely cover the a/c unit a bit, so we'll just have to have a fan blowing the cool air from low to high. Most of the time I wouldn't need this, but again, a quick option in a pinch when we need the room.

I know egg owners told me there is lots of room in there and they have put a cot in there, but I wanted to try and build one in if the width is right. I am just trying to research and look for ideas before going forward.
Old 03-04-2016, 04:12 PM   #21

Alabama
Okay, I think I got it. See if this helps.

Widths: The center aisle, interior fiberglass to interior fiberglass, is just under 41" wide, but because the front of the A/C unit sticks out, and the front of the fridge sticks out, you only have about 36" width of open aisle front to rear. Functional width under the bed is also about 36" because the curb side interior wall moves in about an inch, and under the bed, lower storage doors are surface mounted on both sides, so they stick out a bit on both sides (but these can easily be removed). If you come up to the height of the dinette seats (21" from the floor up to the molded fiberglass seat level), it is 62.5" wide from street side interior wall to front of the fridge door.

Lengths: It is 71" from the front of the full-sized bed to the shower wall (open aisle space). It is 52" from that same location at the front of the bed BACK to the rear wall. However, for the last 12" of that, the floor starts to curve up to form the rear wall of the camper. So you only have about 40" of flat floor under the bed, then the space starts narrowing down at the rear (I hope that makes sense).

Heights: The top of all fiberglass bench areas (dinette seats and what the full-sized bed frame sits flush on) is 21". The braces under the full-sized bed frame extend down about 2". So functionally, you have about 19" clearance under the full-sized bed (for about 40" until the floor starts curving up to the back wall).

So, it looks like you can easily create a 3' wide by almost 6' long bed just in the open aisle. If you come up to bench level, you can make a 5' wide by almost 6' long bed, but that will be over the top of the A/C unit with only two small open areas at the shower and door entrance for cool air circulation. Plus, anyone in the rear bed trying to get to the bathroom or exit out of the camper would have to walk all over whomever is sleeping in the aisle (safety issue in case of an emergency?).

Let me know if any of the above doesn't make sense or if you have any further questions. Best of luck with your "just thinking about it" mod.... Dale
Old 03-05-2016, 09:45 AM   #22

Alabama
Crystal, Just my opinion, but if I understand the mod you are contemplating - a built-in pull-out make-shift bed for the center aisle - that could really compromise access to the water pump and water heater, which are both accessed through a cabinet door under the full-sized bed. Plus that could deny you access to a ton of storage area in the other cabinets accessed under the bed and would take up most of the large storage space in the center aisle under the bed (where we stow larger items like folding chairs, ice chests, etc.). Given the functional open isle floor space of roughly 3' x 6 ', you might be better served by just using an inflatable air mattress with a powered air blower for rapid filling and unfilling. Unfilled, it can just be folded up and stowed in a relatively small space. And for trips where you don't need the bed, you still have the full compliment of storage space and easy access to the water pump and water heater (important for winterizing the camper). Just a thought. Dale
Old 03-05-2016, 10:27 PM   #23

Michigan
Thanks Dale! I will write it all down and give some thought as to the best idea going forward, but all you have said does leave room for considerations
Old 03-10-2016, 04:08 PM   #24

Michigan
Been searching options for a cot next to the dinette to make another full size bed (for when that time comes) but either they are to long or to short, I feel like the 3 bears and want one just right lol. I am leaning more toward 2 pieces of ply wood about 24" wide, cut in half and hinged, with folding locking legs at the ends and in the middle, the more I think about that it seems to be the best/cheapest option, then have an inflatable bed or a thick memory foam cut to size. Thoughts??

http://m.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Gander-Mountain-Tracker-Gunmetal-Cot&i=760887
Old 03-10-2016, 10:48 PM   #25

Alabama
Crystal, Deryk from New Jersey put a folding futon bed in the back of his Parkliner camper so that he could fold it up to make a couch with a cushioned back (and open up more aisle space) or fold it down to make a bed. Use the "Search" function to search for "futon", and you'll bring up a couple of his threads and I think a photo or two. Or just contact Deryk directly. Ikea offers several folding futon beds that you can look at to get ideas that sound very much like what you're wanting to do.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:22 AM   #26

Michigan
The eggcamper I am looking at as a possibility does have the futon mattress they leave set up as a bed. I am looking to make another good size bed with the dinette so we can sleep up to 4 vs 3 on designated beds. I know others have put a cot under the bed part way but I really like the idea of pull out drawers for storage. I keep looking at some of the sticky trailers with the lifting beds and thought about that too, having it with a lift spring that holds it up while you access the doors. Just thinking ahead (and out loud) so that if someone has already done this I can get their thoughts on how it worked for them. I think some have done the lift bed in the snoozy which is where I think I saw it here somewhere.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:37 AM   #27

Alabama
A two-futon camper? One from the back unfolding forward to make the primary bed. And another from the side unfolding inward to make a secondary bed. Is that what you're thinking? Your plans will become so much clearer in your head once you have the chance to actually step inside an EggCamper.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:42 AM   #28

Name: Letitia
Trailer: 2011 Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
I'm not sure how you would comfortably fit four adults sleeping in the Eggcamper. My dinette measures 24" wide and 5'6" from head to toe. The plan to use the center aisle for a cot would leave no room to put your feet down on the floor, should someone need to get up in the night. Just my opinion.....

2011 Eggcamper #106
Letitia is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper