EggCamper Internal Measurements - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2016, 04:12 PM   #21

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Okay, I think I got it. See if this helps.

Widths: The center aisle, interior fiberglass to interior fiberglass, is just under 41" wide, but because the front of the A/C unit sticks out, and the front of the fridge sticks out, you only have about 36" width of open aisle front to rear. Functional width under the bed is also about 36" because the curb side interior wall moves in about an inch, and under the bed, lower storage doors are surface mounted on both sides, so they stick out a bit on both sides (but these can easily be removed). If you come up to the height of the dinette seats (21" from the floor up to the molded fiberglass seat level), it is 62.5" wide from street side interior wall to front of the fridge door.

Lengths: It is 71" from the front of the full-sized bed to the shower wall (open aisle space). It is 52" from that same location at the front of the bed BACK to the rear wall. However, for the last 12" of that, the floor starts to curve up to form the rear wall of the camper. So you only have about 40" of flat floor under the bed, then the space starts narrowing down at the rear (I hope that makes sense).

Heights: The top of all fiberglass bench areas (dinette seats and what the full-sized bed frame sits flush on) is 21". The braces under the full-sized bed frame extend down about 2". So functionally, you have about 19" clearance under the full-sized bed (for about 40" until the floor starts curving up to the back wall).

So, it looks like you can easily create a 3' wide by almost 6' long bed just in the open aisle. If you come up to bench level, you can make a 5' wide by almost 6' long bed, but that will be over the top of the A/C unit with only two small open areas at the shower and door entrance for cool air circulation. Plus, anyone in the rear bed trying to get to the bathroom or exit out of the camper would have to walk all over whomever is sleeping in the aisle (safety issue in case of an emergency?).

Let me know if any of the above doesn't make sense or if you have any further questions. Best of luck with your "just thinking about it" mod.... Dale
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:45 AM   #22

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Crystal, Just my opinion, but if I understand the mod you are contemplating - a built-in pull-out make-shift bed for the center aisle - that could really compromise access to the water pump and water heater, which are both accessed through a cabinet door under the full-sized bed. Plus that could deny you access to a ton of storage area in the other cabinets accessed under the bed and would take up most of the large storage space in the center aisle under the bed (where we stow larger items like folding chairs, ice chests, etc.). Given the functional open isle floor space of roughly 3' x 6 ', you might be better served by just using an inflatable air mattress with a powered air blower for rapid filling and unfilling. Unfilled, it can just be folded up and stowed in a relatively small space. And for trips where you don't need the bed, you still have the full compliment of storage space and easy access to the water pump and water heater (important for winterizing the camper). Just a thought. Dale
Old 03-05-2016, 10:27 PM   #23

Name: Crystal
Trailer: 2008 Fun FinderX 160, wanted Eggcamper all electric
Michigan
Thanks Dale! I will write it all down and give some thought as to the best idea going forward, but all you have said does leave room for considerations
4x4LDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:08 PM   #24

Michigan
Been searching options for a cot next to the dinette to make another full size bed (for when that time comes) but either they are to long or to short, I feel like the 3 bears and want one just right lol. I am leaning more toward 2 pieces of ply wood about 24" wide, cut in half and hinged, with folding locking legs at the ends and in the middle, the more I think about that it seems to be the best/cheapest option, then have an inflatable bed or a thick memory foam cut to size. Thoughts??

http://m.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Gander-Mountain-Tracker-Gunmetal-Cot&i=760887
4x4LDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:48 PM   #25

Colorado
Crystal, Deryk from New Jersey put a folding futon bed in the back of his Parkliner camper so that he could fold it up to make a couch with a cushioned back (and open up more aisle space) or fold it down to make a bed. Use the "Search" function to search for "futon", and you'll bring up a couple of his threads and I think a photo or two. Or just contact Deryk directly. Ikea offers several folding futon beds that you can look at to get ideas that sound very much like what you're wanting to do.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:22 AM   #26

Michigan
The eggcamper I am looking at as a possibility does have the futon mattress they leave set up as a bed. I am looking to make another good size bed with the dinette so we can sleep up to 4 vs 3 on designated beds. I know others have put a cot under the bed part way but I really like the idea of pull out drawers for storage. I keep looking at some of the sticky trailers with the lifting beds and thought about that too, having it with a lift spring that holds it up while you access the doors. Just thinking ahead (and out loud) so that if someone has already done this I can get their thoughts on how it worked for them. I think some have done the lift bed in the snoozy which is where I think I saw it here somewhere.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:37 AM   #27

Colorado
A two-futon camper? One from the back unfolding forward to make the primary bed. And another from the side unfolding inward to make a secondary bed. Is that what you're thinking? Your plans will become so much clearer in your head once you have the chance to actually step inside an EggCamper.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:42 AM   #28

Name: Letitia
Trailer: 2011 Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
I'm not sure how you would comfortably fit four adults sleeping in the Eggcamper. My dinette measures 24" wide and 5'6" from head to toe. The plan to use the center aisle for a cot would leave no room to put your feet down on the floor, should someone need to get up in the night. Just my opinion.....
2011 Eggcamper #106
Letitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 01:15 PM   #29

Michigan
I wouldn't use the whole space and it wouldn't be permanent, that is why I might make the bed myself to make it more like an oversized twin size vs full size like the back bed. If the seats are 24" and a twin is about 36", then I would say a bed about 18 inches wide would make it just a little bigger than a twin and still leave over a foot of walking space. I was trying to avoid a build by finding the perfect sized folding cot but that hasn't happened since the one the right height is way to wide. Again just thinking out loud
Old 03-11-2016, 01:23 PM   #30

Colorado
How about hanging a military gurney stretcher from the ceiling - like a suspended top bunk? Not a big fan of the holes you'd have to drill in the ceiling/roof to do that, though....
Old 03-11-2016, 03:03 PM   #31

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
How about hanging a military gurney stretcher from the ceiling - like a suspended top bunk? Not a big fan of the holes you'd have to drill in the ceiling/roof to do that, though....
Yeah I wouldn't put holes in the roof, coming from a previously leaking sticky (window seal replkaced) is why I am going FB in the first place. If you ever felt a wet thin wall before you 'd know why I am fearful of that. Ultimately I am keeping it a dinette and only doing this if the husband decides to join us (will be a rare occasion). So far the tallest in the bunch is me coming in at a whopping 5'3" so we don't need so much length. I actually wondered if we could sleep 3 in the bed area with me on the side with dinette seat for extra length. looking for more examples Thinking of something like this to raise the bed at the back, then I can get to doors

http://www.strutmaster.net/strut19.jpg

Heavy Bedlift Kit - Hatchlift 120-150 - Bed Pads & Mattresses - Camping World
Old 03-11-2016, 03:28 PM   #32

Colorado
Crystal, Just a couple other options to consider:
1) We love our EggCamper, but there is just the two of us. And even with just us two, space is precious with little to spare for major space-occupying mods. If you are looking at accommodating three people on a regular basis, with the occasional possibility of a fourth, maybe you just need to bite the bullet and get a larger camper designed for that.
2) Do like Thom ("Accrete") did, and pull with a van so you can have extra sleeping space in the van when needed (see photo; he has since sold his ParkLiner). As I understand it, Thom and his wife set it up like a "Bed & Breakfast" where they ate and socialized in the camper but slept in the van (I believe he even had bathroom facilities in the van).
Just more things to ponder....
Attached Thumbnails
Accrete's Bed&Breakfast.jpg  
Old 03-11-2016, 05:20 PM   #33

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Just pack a tent for the occasional guests or the kids.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 12:02 PM   #34

Michigan
Can I please get the measurement from the seat up to the window in the dinette? I saw something on pinterest that was pretty cool and I had an idea The mod would probably not allow the existing table to be utilized, but it could still be seating as well as a bed. unless I got really crafty........which has me thinking maybe it can be all these things....I love a good challenge Thanks in advance
Old 03-14-2016, 03:31 PM   #35

Colorado
Crystal, It's approximately 17.25" from the top of the seat base up to the bottom edge of the dinette window (see photo; I moved my wife's swivel seat out of the way for a better view). So you know, I raised the dinette table about 1.5" to restore knee-room when we put in the padded high-back fishing boat-style swivel seats (from Bass Pro Shop). Let me know if you have any more questions. I'll be curious to see what you finally decide to do. Dale
Attached Thumbnails
DSC08561.jpg  
Old 03-15-2016, 06:24 AM   #36

Michigan
Thanks Dale!! What my brain is thinking and it might work out pretty well is to do similar to what you show, a FB seat on the FB seat, but put hinges at the edge, so the seat flips forward and then becomes a bed space. So imagine your seats facing the fridge, then flip them forward like a lawn mower seat and have the back be the legs that holds up the bed. This would make for about a 48" x almost 70" bed. I was thinking about putting the table on a telescoping bar and then having just the extra part of the table also hinged to fold out. So for me it's about finding or making a fiberglass seat to pretty much mirror the dinette seats so when folded out the seam will hold the table extension the way the seats now hold the current table in the recessed groove. Does this make sense or do I just sound crazy? I know this will only leave about a foot for walking by in the middle of the night, but I also thought it will be like having to chaise loungers also I actually sent a message to Jim at egg camper to see if I could get scrap pieces of fiberglass (and I'd buy them off him instead of having custom made). We'll see how my plans go......sure hope my sticky sells fast lol......that will be my egg dream come true!
Old 03-15-2016, 06:59 AM   #37

Colorado
If you live anywhere near a good-sized lake, there's probably a fiberglass boat repair shop nearby (for boaters who hit floating logs and submerged tree stumps at full throttle!) with an experienced fiberglass fabricator who could help you with your project, too.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:09 AM   #38

Michigan
that is a great idea too! Do you think it sounds crazy? I think a guy that had the thought for the boat seats was looking for a unique twist also Yes that pun was intended, but I think this is what I have fallen in love with, this camper is so easy to make changes too, even though you don't need to. I think this will save all the space under the bed for lots of storage (mostly our duffle bags with clothes etc).
Old 03-17-2016, 10:50 AM   #39

Michigan
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/AbMKCv...MQg-V2u-TbhnQ/

This is one idea, similar concept, but my plan was to include legs to the back (by wall with window) vs the sides of the seat

I also have another idea that might work, but still looking for a good example
Old 03-17-2016, 11:11 AM   #40

Michigan
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/203365739396095070/

here is another thought, but a surface on this and have it glide off and then put support legs under, it would also serve the purpose then cover with bedding. The nice thing about this option is that you could make it whatever width that suites you as long as you have the right size for the matress topping. Anyone do anything like this in their trailer?

Tags
eggcamper