Eliminate the roof vent? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2019, 06:20 PM   #21

Trailer: Scamp 2003 13 ft
I ordered my Scamp 13' in 2003 without a vent. I did so because my garage door opening was 7' and the Scamp just fit into my garage without the vent. I still have the Scamp and have never missed the vent. However, many people feel it is a useful feature.

I think it's a good idea to keep the sink.
Francis H. Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 07:56 PM   #22

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
My 2013 Escape does not have a fan in the bathroom vent (that would have been very handy). I bought a kit from Escape to convert it to a powered vent, but I have not installed it yet.
If you have that bathroom fan, my suggestion is to shut it off before flushing or you'll suck sewer gas into the bathroom, especially if you don't have a bathroom window open.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 02:29 PM   #23

Name: Chelsea
Trailer: Ventura
Manitoba
In my '74 Ventura the roof vent (vent only, no fan) had a small leak. Just a slow drop during heavy rains.

I spent a couple hours on it last weekend on our maiden voyage to my family farm (with a full indoor shop to work on it!), scraping off the old layers of silicone that were carelessly thrown onto it, cleaning the area, and applying new outdoor silicone sealant. It dried for a few hours, and more-so on the highway home.

I'm happy to report that there were no leaks during the rain we had this week. After a little TLC it's working great, and we avoided buying a whole new vent. We don't have an AC unit (or a camper battery for that matter), so the vent is essential.
Chelsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 06:17 PM   #24

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Well.. question asked and answered. But even if it was not meant to be the answer to the question of why people take things out, I do think that leaks of various types are one of the main reasons that people remove things. I removed my water heater after the shutoff valve developed a leak and I realized that I did not need the water heater. People remove propane because of a fear of leaks (often more fear than is warranted). People remove roof vents and since I have two, I will seal up the larger one when the time comes.

But somethings are worth taking the chance of a leak and I think a roof vent is one of them.
I prefer to take care of stuff. If it leaks fix it. Propane is needed for cooking, heating water, keeping warm, running the fridge, etc. Propane is not that dangerous if you check the system for leaks, have a detector and take care of stuff. Water the same thing. Fix a leak if you get one. Do you get rid of your toilets and not replace it at home if it leaks? I don't think so. Your trailer is your second home and should be taken care of just like your main house. I just like nice things and comfort I guess.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 06:56 PM   #25

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
I prefer to take care of stuff. If it leaks fix it. Propane is needed for cooking, heating water, keeping warm, running the fridge, etc. Propane is not that dangerous if you check the system for leaks, have a detector and take care of stuff. Water the same thing. Fix a leak if you get one. Do you get rid of your toilets and not replace it at home if it leaks? I don't think so. Your trailer is your second home and should be taken care of just like your main house. I just like nice things and comfort I guess.
Well I agree 100%.. I was just suggesting that leaks (or fear of them) is a reason that people remove things. But if something serves a purpose for you then by all means fix it. The water heater did not serve any purpose for me, so I elected to remove it, rather than repair. Everything else gets repaired and maintained as needed.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 12:07 AM   #26

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
man, hot showers are one of the best parts of trailer camping.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:14 PM   #27

Name: T
Trailer: Designing and building
Florida
We have a small fiberglass teardrop, and through some misadventures in engineering, it developed fan roof leaks. I was doing quite a bit of modification at the time when I chose to take care of these problems, so the roof got plugged properly, and a pair of vent fans were installed in the galley bulkhead. at first we went with a pair of large computer case fans, which do about 90% of the job they need to. These are currently in the process of being replaced with a pair of high static pressure axial fans with a speed controller.
I suspect that this rig will move more air than our fantastic fan ever did. it's now more visually pleasing and aerodynamic, also, though the visual impact is probably much easier to measure then the mileage difference.
Thomcat316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:25 PM   #28

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOB View Post
My vent does not have a fan and I have never had a trailer with a fan vent.
Very easy to add one....
Old 07-10-2019, 01:12 PM   #29

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Very easy to add one....
I added a large computer fan to the vent in the 76 Trillium 1300 I rebuilt.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 02:39 PM   #30

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Install a MAX-AIR vent...no rain leaks...keep open at all times.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 02:54 PM   #31

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
Install a MAX-AIR vent...no rain leaks...keep open at all times.
Its actually Maxxair. And a rain cover can be added to most any standard size vent or vent /fan, such as the Fantastic Fan which is what I have. I don't know if there is one to fit the larger vents. And yes, its great to have a roof vent open in the rain.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 05:11 PM   #32

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
My scamp has a roof vent with fan. It has the all weather cover. I can't imagine camping without it. I use it when I am not in the camper even if I am using the air conditioning. Air conditioning an empty space is a waste.

I had some leak problems. found that they were fixed mostly by caulking around the unit. First tried caulking the obvious holes. That sure didn't work. But when I caulked everything it did.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:36 PM   #33

Name: keith
Trailer: scamp
Georgia
Registry
fan mod

I converted my escape hatch in my 16" scamp to a maxxair fan with lights
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190401_153424986.jpg   IMG_20190407_205008906.jpg  

kmeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:35 AM   #34

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I camp in all kinds of weather. The benefit of a roof vent, any roof vent is during the late Fall shoulder season. Helps mitigate condensation inside the trailer, especially on single-pane windows and at nighttime. I keep the vent over the bed open a crack whenever I'm sleeping.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote