Emergency response Scamp Ham Shack - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2018, 10:35 AM   #1

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Emergency response Scamp Ham Shack

Michael missed us in Navarre, but we were ready to bug out with our Scamp 16.

After the hurricane and as a ham (radio that is) I started thinking about all of the guys that respond to the call.

It seems that there is a shortage of hams to handle the communications in many Florida counties, mostly because they will only use ARES certified operators. That means that there is really a self imposed shortage, but that is besides the point.

The issue is that while I have High Frequency (HF) equipment I don't have VHF and UHF radios currently ( I gave mine to my son who doesn't use them).

The point is that with the Scamp and the threat of large hurricanes in the future I plan to get the Scamp set up for them.

I have a 2800 watt HF Predator inverter generator and I have three Grape 100 watt solar panels to add, replacing a defective flexible 100 watt panel currently installed.

My current plans are to add mounts for antennas to the rear bumper and the tongue in the front. The issues are grounding for the antennas and power for the IC7000 and VHF/UHF comms. I have a 120 to 13.8 volt power supply when on 120 volt and I think I need to add a power run from the battery under the driver's side bed to the table in the aisle.
Currently I have a single GRP 27 deep cycle battery a NAPA 8301. While this is called and listed as a DEEP CYCLE perhaps it is a combination system..
I may have room for two Golf Cart batteries to increase reserve capacity.
Any observations?
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:52 AM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Is it save for you to be living and sleeping right next to all those antennas?
My pops was big into the ham stuff and had a large antenna over his garage way up high. But he wasn't sleeping next to the stuff.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:40 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
My Campster is my portable ham shack. I keep it simple with a Yaseu FT897 to cover all bands and a matching screwdriver type antenna. I have to put the antenna on the truck to get it to tune some bands since there is so little metal in fiberglass trailers. I also have several VHF/UFH HTs as well as a VHF/UHF rig in the truck.

I found weatherproof bulkhead connectors to go through the fiberglass and ran power directly from the house battery. I have a 45w solar panel on the roof. I'm not sure how long I would be able to operate of grid But the only thing else on the battery is a couple of LED lights.

We will give it a bit of a test over at the state park in a couple of weeks. Our club is using it as the net control station for a fund raising event for 2 nights. I'll be satching the battery voltage, especially to see how it recovers with our cloudy northwest weather.

W7DAF
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:40 PM   #4

Florida
With 300 watts of slar I hope to be able to keep the 12 volts powered for a long time. The issue would be the storage in the battery(s).
I would add a second 12 volt battery in parallel but if they are not perfectly matched (impossible long term) they would not be as efficient as two 6 volt golf cart batteries in series.
If the batteries in parallel are not matched more or less perfectly one will take more charge than the other and also under discharge one will tend to spread it's charge to the other battery. The one with the lowest internal resistance will take more charge and have a higher output current.
I have an IC 7000 transceiver and will get a VHF/UHF rig for the repeater work that does the majority of the message traffic.
I am looking for a liveable relatively long term station that is more self supporting that can be towed to the location and stay for the duration of the need with power, lights, AC, bathroom, fridge, and cooking.
The solar would help stretch the fuel for the generator and provide power for the communications basically without the generator at all.

73s. KE4MD
Old 10-16-2018, 12:54 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
Michael missed us in Navarre, but we were ready to bug out with our Scamp 16.

After the hurricane and as a ham (radio that is) I started thinking about all of the guys that respond to the call.

It seems that there is a shortage of hams to handle the communications in many Florida counties, mostly because they will only use ARES certified operators. That means that there is really a self imposed shortage, but that is besides the point.

The issue is that while I have High Frequency (HF) equipment I don't have VHF and UHF radios currently ( I gave mine to my son who doesn't use them).

The point is that with the Scamp and the threat of large hurricanes in the future I plan to get the Scamp set up for them.

I have a 2800 watt HF Predator inverter generator and I have three Grape 100 watt solar panels to add, replacing a defective flexible 100 watt panel currently installed.

My current plans are to add mounts for antennas to the rear bumper and the tongue in the front. The issues are grounding for the antennas and power for the IC7000 and VHF/UHF comms. I have a 120 to 13.8 volt power supply when on 120 volt and I think I need to add a power run from the battery under the driver's side bed to the table in the aisle.
Currently I have a single GRP 27 deep cycle battery a NAPA 8301. While this is called and listed as a DEEP CYCLE perhaps it is a combination system..
I may have room for two Golf Cart batteries to increase reserve capacity.
Any observations?

I am a ham operator. I bought a second deep cycle (marine) battery the I use to power my Yeasu 857D. I also carry a 65 watt portable solar panel to charge both the house battery and the radio battery. The 857D draws 22.5 amps on voice peaks. Listen (which hams do most of the time) is less than 1 amp. So this works well for me.

Antennas, Sometimes I carry my Buddie Pole and other time just the EndFEDZ (1 20M, 1 40M 120/40M). Both have work fine. With the EndFEDZ I have two fiberglass telescoping poles one extends to 19' the other to 33'. I carry a couple of short steel fence posts that I can drive into the ground and bungie one of the fiberglass poles to.

The 19, if perfect for 20 meters and the 300' works great for the other two.

For emergency communications the buddie pole configured NVIS has worked great for HF short range communications.
Along the same lines I have a Yeasu 8800 in the truck which I can run off the truck battery for VHF and UHF. I've sponsored a few ham camping trips using these radios and it has worked quite well. The only problem is when you the sun is gone the battery will discharge.

I've also used this same set up for both ARRL's Field Day and Winter Field Day.

This for information only.

Check the current needed for each radio and size batteries and solar accordingly.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:02 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
Is it save for you to be living and sleeping right next to all those antennas?
My pops was big into the ham stuff and had a large antenna over his garage way up high. But he wasn't sleeping next to the stuff.

The answer is YES.
There's been a lot of misconception about RF radiation in the past few years. Unfortunately the term is applied to two types of "radiation" one electromagnetic and the other is "gamma" In simpler terms "non-ionizing" and "Ionizing".

Because of all the misconceptions the FCC has required ham radio operators to do a safety survey if your power output is >100 Watts, thus feeding the misconception.

When sleeping you're NOT transmitting. Even then inside a Scamp with it's four layers of aluminum foil you're pretty well shielded.

Ham it up and enjoy.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:16 PM   #7

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
The answer is YES.
There's been a lot of misconception about RF radiation in the past few years. Unfortunately the term is applied to two types of "radiation" one electromagnetic and the other is "gamma" In simpler terms "non-ionizing" and "Ionizing".

Because of all the misconceptions the FCC has required ham radio operators to do a safety survey if your power output is >100 Watts, thus feeding the misconception.

When sleeping you're NOT transmitting. Even then inside a Scamp with it's four layers of aluminum foil you're pretty well shielded.

Ham it up and enjoy.

Perhaps he was asking about lightning danger.

n4lbl
minke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 01:35 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I was just thinking about radiation from radio waves. I know nothing about ham other than you push the button to talk. Some day I want to get my armature licence but I find it very frustrating and the range of study is so vast. My 4wd club have all went to hams and left me behind still holding my CB.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:12 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
My 4wd club have all went to hams and left me behind still holding my CB.
Yeah our overlanding club went to ham also, if we got spread out we weren't able to stay in touch with CB. With 2-meter ham I have easily conversed at 15 miles or more on flat ground.

People get intimidated by the test but it isn't that hard, a little studying on the basics and you should pass easily. I am not a ham hobbyist and the test wasn't a problem for me. After passing the technician test I almost passed the general test without even studying for it.

KD0TED
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:18 PM   #10

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
i totally concur re: the lack of hazards from RF, but do note, reflectix seems to be non-conductive (at least according to my ohmmeter), so all that 'aluminum foil' isn't actually rf shielding.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:37 PM   #11

Florida
I think that the reflectex is aluminized on the inside of the plastic, but it still should shield.
How is the TV reception from inside the trailer?
That has little application to my particular Scamp as it is a 1985 and has the Ensolite insulation.
It is possible that I have already fried enough brain cells so that a few more won't make that much difference or maybe a few more may make all of the difference.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:11 PM   #12

Mid Left Coast
the aluminization rubs off reflectix pretty easily.... anyways, if its not grounded, the shielding is fairly sketchy.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:12 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
I think that the reflectex is aluminized on the inside of the plastic, but it still should shield.
That has little application to my particular Scamp as it is a 1985 and has the Ensolite insulation.
It is possible that I have already fried enough brain cells so that a few more won't make that much difference or maybe a few more may make all of the difference.
You could be right. It's been a long time since I got samples of the insulation (reflex type). My memory tells me that there is foil on each side of the Mylar bubbles. I know there's two layers. So it's either 2 layers or 4 layers of foil.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:14 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
I don't know about TV reception (NO TV IN MY TRAILER). But I do know that I had to hold my hand held VHF transceiver up to a window to receive a signal.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:23 PM   #15

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I don't know about TV reception (NO TV IN MY TRAILER). But I do know that I had to hold my hand held VHF transceiver up to a window to receive a signal.
Yes, using a number of different RF receivers (FM radio, Weather Radio, TV, and even cell phone)... I have noticed a big increase in signal strength by only moving the receiver outside the Scamp. Even without more scientific evidence I still do think the insulation acts much like a Faraday cage. '73
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:53 PM   #16

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Question for the HAM people; when we bought our Uhaul it had this antenna on it. We didn't meet the previous owner as we bought the trailer from a RV dealer that was selling it on consignment. There was some indication that the PO was a HAM radio operator. Is that what this antenna was used for?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0999.jpg   IMG_1000.jpg  

IMG_1001.jpg  
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:45 PM   #17

Mid Left Coast
that kind of looks like an FM radio antenna, with a standard car radio plug on the end.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:50 AM   #18

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I have been deployed to several events and try to take my Egg as a base camp for myself while there.
Having said this though I have almost never been asked or seen a way to operate from the trailer?

There is always a Net Control set up or being setup somewhere and I operate in the field where the help is needed directly.
Further I have never heard of or experienced otherwise.

So my ability to charge and maintain batteries is pretty important but not for use in the trailer itself.

Mainly I have been assigned to comms in Food Trucks and have to be ready to go and keep going indefinitely and can not rely on vehicle power but can use it if available usually too.

I carry several 4,7 & 18 AH BATTERIES IN VARIOUS carriers and keep them charged to power an HT or mobile rig as the situation requires.
An 18ah battery can keep a mobile running at 25watts most of a day if you watch your power as we should already.
These are the same batteries in most large Jump Boxes and are portable enough and powerful enough to be relevant.
Likewise a 4ah Battery will run an HT all day long and are easily carried by almost anyone too.

Everything needs to be portable and able to move at any moment as these deployments can be pretty dynamic and physical fitness is easily the most important thing I can bring as well!
I often wish that I had more of it too!

Also day to day I have only needed UHF/VHF on the ground though there will be HF at Net Control and like most I carry a 7000 & BuddiPole system as well,must be a good reason?

In the days after Joplin we did use my trailer briefly while Net was being setup and my HF system to make worldwide contacts for Health and Welfare checks for SATERN with whom I was attached for that one.
The BuddiPole system is an amazing portable antenna.

EZDog
KC0UKR

Ham in Egg
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:02 AM   #19

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
that kind of looks like an FM radio antenna, with a standard car radio plug on the end.
It does have the standard car radio plug John, but there was also one of those universal fit type car radio antennas on the trailer. There was a car radio in the trailer and I don't remember which antenna was hooked to it. Not the one pictured as I recall. I took the radio out so no telling now.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 02:25 PM   #20

Name: Ed
Trailer: Casita 17 ft SD
Colorado
HAM Radio in the Scamp

I have my Casita setup for VHF/UHF. Have an 80W solar panel. The antenna is setup to install on the rear bumper and power coming from the fuse panel into a power works connector under the dinette table. Also the antenna cable is routed to the same area. It comes up through the bottom of the Casita. Have a friend who mounts his HF antenna on the tow vehicle so that it is farther away and has a good ground.

There is one issue that you talked about that has not been addressed.

(It seems that there is a shortage of hams to handle the communications in many Florida counties, mostly because they will only use ARES certified operators. That means that there is really a self imposed shortage, but that is besides the point.)

With things the way they are today our county requires a back ground check on everyone serving in the EOC. We are dealing with sensitive information. This includes HAM operators. The other issue is we are using equipment and digital programs that requires prior training to operate. During an emergency situation there is no time to train someone on these things. Another issue is we need to have developed a relationship with the EOC personnel so that are comfortable with who we are and what our capabilities are. Are we trust worthy.
ehoepner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp