Enlarging closet door opening. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-04-2014, 04:10 PM   #15
Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Alice: yes, I was thinking of a breaker box. Followed up with <gasp> labeling the wires as to what they actually do. I love my little Scamp, but some of their construction practices leave a lot to be desired!

fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:25 PM   #16
Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I cut mine Alice using only a jig saw - drilled a hole in the corners first to keep those clean. Just put painters tape over the fiberglass and drew my cutting line on it. Worked well, if you have an rough spots on the cut line you can simple use a palm sander to smooth them out.

I did not cut the whole face of the cabinet - simple cut out an open in the bottom half leaving a strip of about 4" of fiberglass between the upper large door and the smaller one below.
One thing with a jig saw whether cutting wood or fiberglass. Stick on some masking tape and draw your line. Then take a razor knife and cut into the top surface through the tape into the top face. Now when you cut on your line next to the razor cut the material will not chip past the razor cut. Remember to remove the tape soon as old dried out masking tape from a stalled project can be hard to remove. Use a shop vac when cutting to save allot of the clean-up hassle.

stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:56 AM   #17
Trailer: 2002 13 ft Scamp
North Dakota
I just did this a couple of weeks ago and my dad did the cutting with his skil saw (he does not trust me with his saws...).

A few years ago, I made a shelving system out of PVC pipe and plywood, press fit against the sides of the closet (so nothing is screwed into it) and when I did, I made it so that the PVC frame goes all the way down to the floor. Then I put a shelf on top of the wheel well, so as not to lose that space, but the only way to get to it was through the first shelf of the closet opening. I was only doing week-long trips at that point, so I didn't really need the space down there. But since I was planning this long haul to Nova Scotia from Minnesota, I needed it.

So we made the hole just under the reinforced fiberglass at the base of the existing closet opening and down to the top of the wheel well. I need to get some edging for it (didn't happen before I left), but otherwise, it's perfect. We were making new cupboard doors already, so I made a new taller closet door that covered the new opening as well. Unfortunately, the wood we used was warped, so it doesn't even pretend to close anymore, so I'll have to redo it when I get home. A bungee cord keeps it closed in transit.
Karen B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:59 AM   #18
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Originally Posted by Karen B. View Post
We were making new cupboard doors already, so I made a new taller closet door that covered the new opening as well. .
BTW if someone is wanting to add a new door and keep their original Scamp doors, you can order from Scamp a new door to match & they will cut it to what ever size you want.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:23 PM   #19
Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp
I would recommend an oscillating saw with a 3/4 circle blade. These are AWESOME for cutting fiberglass. I got this one for $19 at Harbor Freight and it goes through it like butter. No splintering at all. And you can do plunge cuts.

mmcwhort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 12:58 AM   #20
Name: Frank
Trailer: Scamp 16 Side dinette
I removed the furnace on my 16' Scamp and enlarged the opening into the door on the right side of the furnace. I used a Roto-Zip with a right angle adapter made by the company. I used a diamond blade and it made a very smooth cut. It created lots of fiberglass dust though. Use a breathing mask. I squared up the opening into one large opening as Scamp doesn't care to much about square cabinet openings and made a door with hinges on the right side of the opening. I used a cabinet catch that supports the wide door on the left side.
frankcfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 01:00 AM   #21
Name: Frank
Trailer: Scamp 16 Side dinette
I talked to Scamp a few weeks ago about cabinet doors and the only doors they have is Cherry
frankcfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:06 AM   #22
Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
[QUOTE=Wallo;462522]Greg: Does the Roto Zip have a blade, or is it a drill bit type cutter? I have a Ryobi hand held router, could that be used with the correct cutter?

Sorry I didn't get back sooner, but to answer your question; The Roro-Zip blade, while appearing to look very similar to a standard drill bit, is actually a rotary abrasive cutter which cuts laterally through objects as opposed to drill bits which are limited to penetration only. If Ryobi makes suitable rotary cutting blades similar to Roto-Zip blades, I'd say that would be great. I don't believe the standard Roto-Zip blades would tighten up in the Ryobi's bit chuck, but I haven't seen one up close. Most router bits have a larger diameter shank on them.

Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote