Ensolite - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2014, 12:01 PM   #1

Name: Carl
Trailer: 73 Tri-Fab
Texas
Registry
Ensolite

Hi there. I bought a 73 Scamp for a very good price. It is solid and the plywood floors are not rotted..
Upon further inspection I discover its a Tri-Fab and not a Scamp. The previous owner tore out the wall covering/insulation because it was moldy.
Does anyone know where I can purchase new?
Carl
Carl Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 12:33 PM   #2

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
I think you can buy the ensolite stll

Look under " TRILLIUM RV PARTS"

good luck

RRJR
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 12:54 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Hi Karl I also just bought a lovebug also with no ensolite I've decided since ther is none I'm going to remove all items that have been riveted and fiberglass everything back in. I'll have no more rivets on the shell I will also slice 6inches off the closet and kit cabinet and add it to a permanent bed.i will also be turning the front bunk in to a dinette . The one thing good about no ensolite is it allows me to make these changes with out ruining the ensolite..sounds like our projects will be simalar
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 01:20 PM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Wow!
2 - 1973 Love bugs surfacing at the same time. I'd be interested in seeing pictures of the front including window and under the front bench seat. I'd like to see the frame and floor design.

One other thing. What about serial numbers? That might help provide some clues to substantiate this thread: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...nts-26760.html
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 02:47 PM   #5

Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Wow!
2 - 1973 Love bugs surfacing at the same time. I'd be interested in seeing pictures of the front including window and under the front bench seat. I'd like to see the frame and floor design.

One other thing. What about serial numbers? That might help provide some clues to substantiate this thread: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...nts-26760.html
It has the eyebrow on the front window and a black water tank under the front bench seat.
Shower and toilet included.
SN# 138181264 or 13S1S1264. Can't quite tell if it an S or an 8.
I bought it with no title, just a receipt so I have no information of any kind.
Like I said, the previous owner thought it was a Scamp.
Old 04-26-2014, 03:31 PM   #6

I'll beat Donna D. to the comment ... We love Pictures
Old 04-26-2014, 05:32 PM   #7

Texas
Registry
Thumbs down

Tri-Fab
Attached Thumbnails
Tri fab 3.jpg   Tri fab 4.jpg  

Tri fab 2.jpg   Tri fab 1.jpg  

Old 04-26-2014, 07:15 PM   #8

Thanks Carl!
Your pictures have helped fill in some missing information. You may be interested in knowing that not all the Love Bugs had the bossed front window or "eyebrow" as some call it. Floyd has posted pictures of his 1973 Love Bug here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post454310 there is a bit of history for you in that thread.

I'd love to see more pictures. The shower and toilet have me wondering about the layout. I've seen a boler American brochure with the front washroom, the predecesor to the Love Bug, but never seen one in person or pictures.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:49 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
The love bug I have has no washroom .the front window has somewhat of a eyebrow but more of a protrusion to allow for a straiter window but the one thing I find interesting is the tail light housing is the exact same as a boler only it's been reversed so that it sticks out instead of inset
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:12 PM   #10

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Absent the ensolite one will need some sort of thermal barrier or expect lots of condensation. It also helps keep the lighted trailer from putting on a magic lantern show after dark. Paint would work for the second point.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:16 PM   #11

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Carl,since you are in Texas are you going to try to get a "homemade trailer" title for it?? years ago we bought a Starcraft Pop Up the same way.( Bill of sale no title) rebuild was mostly all on the inside, we kept the frame & outside walls...we did not remove ANY of their logos and even used canvas that was just like the old.We had to get it weighed at an official weight station and had to stamp new numbers on the frame the day we got the title.

Just thought I would mention this to you incase you might be interested in checking into it.We did everything at the Tax office were you go to pay tax;tag & title,so if you are interested you should check with your county. We just rebuilt/converted a motor boat trailer to be a kayak trailer & did the same with it( only it is just registered as a homemade utility/boat trailer & doesn't have a title,because of it's weight)

Enjoy your Rebuild and Happy Camping
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:09 AM   #12

Texas
Registry
The vin plate states 4/1973 as date of mfg.
Attached Thumbnails
Tri fab 5.jpg   Tri fab 6.jpg  

Tri fab 7.jpg  
Old 04-27-2014, 04:30 PM   #13

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
?..it also helps keep the lighted trailer from putting on a magic lantern show...
A we bit of camp humor

A couple seasons ago some friends camped with us. Since their rig had no interior bath/shower they set up one of those outside shower tents. After an afternoon of gold prospecting and a good dinner they decided to take showers. The second one in took a camp lantern as it was now dark... He put on a real vaudeville act for us at the campfire. We were all laughing and he didn't have any clue as to why.
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:59 AM   #14

Texas
Registry
Another question please,
Did these trailers have a grey water tank or just the black water tank?
If I pour anything down the sink it just comes up in the shower unless the outside drain is open.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:52 AM   #15

Carl,
I think your trailer has been heavily modified. You are going to find some unique differences. That said, the outside drain would typically be used to connect to an external portable grey water tank, or by hose to a sewer connection.
You can find a wedge shaped portable grey water tank meant for pop ups that will store on a built in hinged ramp between the frame rails under the rear dinette.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:53 AM   #16

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Some campers used a single tank for all waste water. Dolphin is one I know of because my parents owned one. More common is two tanks gray water for drains and black water for toilet.

You could be dealing with a vent stack issue. For water to flow into tank air has to flow out. Typically there will be a pipe with a cap coming up from the tank going through the roof. Wasp nests and debris in that can cause water to not flow down into the tank well, your floor drain and sink probably are on same pipe so if water can't get into tank it comes up through floor drain.

If both the floor drain and sink drain share a common pipe the floor drain may in effect be using the sink drain as a vent stack. Could test by stoppering sink drain and overflow, then try to feed water into floor drain. Does it back up? If you open sink drain does floor drain work?

Open the tank drain as you describe and there would be air flow allowing water to flow.

Just something to check on, not that I disagree with prior post on probable heavy modifications and/or provision for portable gray water tank.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:08 PM   #17

Texas
Registry
Roy,
Heavily modified is not the words I would use.
Rigged is more like it. The water lines to and from the water heater have been run in 3/8 copper tubing thru holes in the floor without sealing. Tacked up with aluminum strips nailed to the plywood across the bottom of the trailer. The electrical was run on a pigtail of a 14 ga. orange extension cord with a 30 amp breaker.
(trailer would burn up before the breaker would trip) Fresh water was run thru the floor across the back and up into the sink with clear vinyl tubing. Again unsealed. Windows screwed shut with lag bolts.
The axle has been raised with two pieces of angle iron welded together.
The frame is gouged from a welder who didn't know about heat settings and its out of alignment.
You get the picture. Modified? I think not.
The trailer is solid and doesn't leak. (other than the broken roof vent)
I have my work cut out for me but I admit, I have fallen in love with the little love bug.
Lord help me.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:24 AM   #18

Texas
Registry
Roger,
The only vent is on the blackwater tank. A piece of 1/2'' pvc thru the roof. You are correct on the shower drain. It's vent is the sink. there is a fitting on the side with a pvc cap siliconed over it that connects to the drain line. I guess a portable tank is in my future.
Thanks to all of you for your help with my questions. I'm sure there will be many more to follow.
Carl
Old 05-01-2014, 09:36 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Brooks View Post
Roy,
Heavily modified is not the words I would use.
You get the picture. Modified? I think not.
I have my work cut out for me but I admit, I have fallen in love with the little love bug.
Lord help me.
Carl,

I was trying to be politically correct in my comment.

I assume that you and I had similar words flash through our minds as we reviewed your current situation. Those words are not appropriate in this forum.

The Lord is helping you already. He has sent you here where you will find a wealth of knowledge, years of experience and the occasional difference of opinions. Many here will help you through your new found labour of love.

Trust me, ressurecting a trailer can be rewarding in more that one way. Our trailers may have come from the same place.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...can-25724.html

Welcome to FGRV!
Old 05-01-2014, 10:43 AM   #20

Texas
Registry
"I assume that you and I had similar words flash through our minds as we reviewed your current situation."

Yes you would be correct.

The more I study it the more I see that needs fixing or replacing but that's OK.
When I'm finished with it, it will be something to be proud of.
For my own knowledge, how were the water lines run from the factory?

Carl