Entire floor replacement on a 1981 Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2019, 04:46 PM   #1

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Scamp
NM
Entire floor replacement on a 1981 Scamp

Hi everyone,

Completely new here, so please bear with me if this information has been covered, or if I'm breaking protocol here.

My partner and I purchased a 1981 Scamp and essentially had no idea what we were in for. This was a couple of years ago, and I recently started making renovations. One water damaged-part led to another, and my fiancee and I essentially had to rip out the entire floor. It's down to the frame now, and I've been working on removing rust from it wherever I can.

I know that the floor should be replaced piece by piece, but how do I do this in a way that connects the fiberglass shell to the frame? The wood flooring slides into the lip and is then glued and screwed into place, right? There's a bit of urgency here because our landlord announced out of nowhere that the scamp needs to be moved soon (within 2 weeks), and this can't be done without the floor being put back in. I'm a wreck thinking about would happen if we moved it too early or installed it incorrectly and the shell slid of the frame or something.

Any resources or guidance would be massively appreciated. Thanks!
FingersCrossed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:11 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
As a prolific reader of everything Scamp, I am pretty sure the that the information you need is provided in older posts on this forum and at SOI.

I am less confident that you will get as much detail in replies in this thread.

So I suggest some serious forum searching. This will get you started:

https://www.google.com/search?q=scam...berglassrv.com

But I also suspect that the two week time-frame is not reasonable. Perhaps you need to cut your loses and bail out.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:21 PM   #3

NM
Thank you so much! I truly appreciate you taking the time to help. Take care, and I'll post updates.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:25 PM   #4

NM
Also, it's two weeks we'd need to install the new floor and move the Scamp 20 feet away on the same property, not for it to be completely upgraded.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:42 PM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by FingersCrossed View Post
Also, it's two weeks we'd need to install the new floor and move the Scamp 20 feet away on the same property, not for it to be completely upgraded.
Yes I understood.. I doubt a new floor can be done in two weeks unless maybe you are at it 24/7 and have all the tools an equipment needed. But maybe you can move it within the two weeks. GL
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:45 PM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
What is stabilizing the shell/body now? You need to stabilize the shell.

Since you are only moving it 20 feet, no need to worry about the shell sliding off the frame. Just cut a few 1x4's long enough to reach across the bottom of the shell and insert into the lip in both sides. Temporarily secure with screws through the lip into the 1x4's. Wherever there are frame cross members, 1x4's should rest on those. And there should be additional 1x4's every foot or so...
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp