Epoxy, Gel Coat, Bondo, fiberglass repair - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-19-2016, 11:55 PM   #15
Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trails West CampMite Campster
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
Marine tex is an epoxy. You would be better served using Duraglass. It won't soak up water like Bondo which isn't really an issue on a trailer since the repair doesn't sit under water. Duraglass is much harder to finish and adds strength to the repair which Bondo won't do. Its a superior product to Bondo.
See SDS below.

Fiberlay is my local store, used to be walking distance but they moved a few miles away

k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 02:09 PM   #16
Name: andrew
Trailer: 1973 13' Trillium
British Columbia
painting 1973 Trill 1300 on Vanc Island, BC

Hi! Great info but probably body/paint on a Trill is too much for me to attempt. Has anyone on Vanc Island taken their Trillium/Boler to be painted? if yes, to a body shop or marine shop or ? I just got a quote from a body shop, that specializes in fibreglass, for $4500! Ouch! Any other suggestions would be very welcome......I am not sure how to post pics of our trailer but will try to do so in a few days. Our trailer is painted teal green above the belly band and black below it but $4500 by PO to match his hot road but seems pretty steep to me. Awesome site and so grateful for so many campers sharing their knowledge and skills!

jagbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 03:11 PM   #17
Commercial Member
Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Dunno about paint, but I saw a great wrap job on a U-Haul last year....
Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: http://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:07 PM   #18
Name: Mike
Trailer: Uhaul
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Dunno about paint, but I saw a great wrap job on a U-Haul last year....

The "wrap" technology and materials are so good now that you can achieve a custom look in 2 days that will take a paint shop 2 months or more in "Body Shop Jail" all the while getting same or better life expectancy as paint with less upkeep.

Body work is still important with a "wrap" as a "wrap" does NOT cover and hide crappy body work. A nice smooth surface produces a nice smooth "wrap"!

One of my Featherlite trailers was "wrapped" 12 years ago, has sat outside the whole time and still looks presentable. No way "I" would paint a fiberglass egg trailer given the availability and durability of a "wrap"!

Getting ready to "wrap" my 1995 Ford dually I purchased new instead of repainting the truck and going to do the same to my daughters Westfalia VW camper bus.

vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote