Ergo seating - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2011, 08:49 AM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
Ergo seating

I'd like to redo the seat cushions in my Scamp dinette area with something more ergonomic. Might have to rework the structure a bit too. I was wondering if anyone had gone down this path. I've seen some nice seating in the LiL Snoozy. That seating is designed by a seating specialty company. I'm thinking something a little reclined and more form fitting. The factory cushions would be perfect for say, Sponge Bob. I've thought about maybe grafting in a car seat, but I would like to retain access underneath. Has anyone successfully tackled this? My dinnette is never a bed, so I don't have that constraint.

Photo Gallery: Family Vacation: Camper Uses: Smoakin Concepts Composites

David
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:30 AM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Attachment 40955
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSo View Post
I'd like to redo the seat cushions in my Scamp dinette area with something more ergonomic. Might have to rework the structure a bit too. I was wondering if anyone had gone down this path. I've seen some nice seating in the LiL Snoozy. That seating is designed by a seating specialty company. I'm thinking something a little reclined and more form fitting. The factory cushions would be perfect for say, Sponge Bob. I've thought about maybe grafting in a car seat, but I would like to retain access underneath. Has anyone successfully tackled this? My dinnette is never a bed, so I don't have that constraint.

Photo Gallery: Family Vacation: Camper Uses: Smoakin Concepts Composites

David
The jack knife couch in the Li'l Snoozy is an "off-the-shelf" unit, readily available from camper suppliers. Just go to your local RV dealer and look , then order the type, size,color and fabric which you like. adding a simple plywood bridge across the back would allow you to retain all present storage and even add a large amount under the couch.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:16 AM   #3

Arizona
Thanks Floyd, I looked around before posting and couldn't find that sort of thing ready made. I assumed it was custom for the Snoozy. That particular one is probably too long for the space I have, but perhaps it comes in different sizes. I just need to find a source.
David
Old 11-02-2011, 12:54 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool

You might be interested in reading http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ble-24915.html.
There is a good diagram in post #16 if you're interested in just modifying the existing seating.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:17 PM   #5

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Nick Smoak told me the name of the seating supplier for the Snoozy but I don't remember it?

Same for the window supplier.

I would think a simple phone call or email to them would be the answer.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:22 PM   #6

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I also recently spent some time in a Casita that had a Boat seat on top of the fiberglass box and it was surprisingly very comfortable to me.

Since then I have been looking at every boat seat I can find and test sitting in them and I think I will likely either just replace the Freedom Captains Chairs with some nice ones or build boxes like the Spirit and mount them there.

I call it FrankenSpirit!

Try some they are surprising.

The only small down side is that most are a waterproof fabric for obvious reasons and not as comfy maybe as a cloth but I have found a few in non-vinyl that I like.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:48 PM   #7

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Those RV jackknife sofas are made by a company in Indiana, I believe, for Snoozy. I can't recall the name now either. They are made in a variety of lengths and materials and styles. One thing though, I think they would stick out farther from the wall than the OEM dinette bench; the recline angle of the back plus its added thickness (due to frame and stuffing used) push the seat out maybe another 15"-20". But plenty of RV dealers out there can get you info and order the size and type you want, if that will work for you.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:04 PM   #8

Arizona
Thanks for all the ideas guys! I'm actually leaning toward a boat seat of some kind now. I really only need one seat, but it needs to be something I can sit in for a couple hours to read. As it is, I keep squirming around till every side is equally chafed, then I give up and go to bed. The boat seats are pretty simple, and they make some pretty nice ones for high end boats. Really, improving on the factory bench is not a high bar to get over
David
Old 11-02-2011, 09:41 PM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
My trailer's aisle is just big enough for a 'zero gravity' lounger, so that's my current solution. When not in use it fits under the bed.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:30 PM   #10

Arizona
Mike,
I love those loungers. I just don't want to fill up the floor with it. I carry one in the truck for those days when I can use it. I've had $1,000 chairs that were LESS comfortable than my $50 lounger. I decided on one of these for my Scamp though:

wise deluxe hiback - Walmart.com

Free shipping to the store, BUT, I checked on direct shipping to my address and it was only $3.97! I don't know how that could be on something like a seat, but the order went through. I can't drive to the store that cheap. The nearest Walmart is 35 miles away.

It had a lots of good reviews, is reasonably priced, and should be easy to mount. From what I gathered, it has an upright position and a slightly reclined position. I think it looks pretty good too. Nice colors. I'm going to mount it on a hinge in the front so I can tip it forward to access the bench storage. There is room next to the chair to builld some sort of console or maybe a nice side table. I'm going to check out the seat angle too and possibly adust that per the info on that other thread.

thanks for all the help everyone

David
Old 11-05-2011, 09:16 AM   #11

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
We have the same issue with our Scamp 16. We tried making new cushions that were thicker at the front. We also tried the same with the cushions that form the seat back.

This helped a little, but obviously hasn't worked well for sleeping on.

So now I am in the process of modifying the side benches to become a long bench that fits along the back. This has a slope of about 1-1/2 inches front-to-back, similar to a Danish style sofa we have in our living room. The back will also have a slope about the same top-to-bottom. Since we often nap comfortably on the sofa, we believe this will work.

For a table, the plan is to use a couple of those smallish, fold-up tables that can be purchased from camping stores. Put together they would be just fine for a nice dinner. They could then be used separately in each end of the trailer as needed for a desk or whatever. Since they fold up so compactly, are light weight and inexpensive I foresee us eventually having several.

So, one of us will sleep in the forward area and the other in the rear. I am an early to bed, early riser guy and my wife is the opposite. I like to get up between 4 and 5 am, make a pot of coffee and read or listen to music with headphones. She prefers to have her quiet time in the evenings, and also enjoys arising in the morning to a warm trailer, so this arrangement should be just fine. We'll see!
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:02 AM   #12

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
Quote:
Mike,
I love those loungers. I just don't want to fill up the floor with it. I carry one in the truck for those days when I can use it. I've had $1,000 chairs that were LESS comfortable than my $50 lounger. I decided on one of these for my Scamp though:

wise deluxe hiback - Walmart.com

thanks for all the help everyone

David
That's interesting.
Just last night we were in a Wal-Mart and looked at one of these (different model though) and were wondering if two of these would work out in our Scamp side dinette. I plan to take some measurements and see if mounting the swivel base would allow these to swivel in the side dinette area. Normally these are mounted on a 4 bolt shallow swivel base in boats.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:39 AM   #13

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Thanks for that link Scaleman.

I am planning on modifying the front bench on 136 to become a two person dinette. I was thinking of keeping the "make into a single bed" aspect, but, I am leaning toward just using the area as dinette/seating.

While space is limited in a 13', there is a limit to how much can get crammed in and still work easily and comfortably. IMHO anyway
Trill136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:43 AM   #14

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
That's interesting.
Just last night we were in a Wal-Mart and looked at one of these (different model though) and were wondering if two of these would work out in our Scamp side dinette. I plan to take some measurements and see if mounting the swivel base would allow these to swivel in the side dinette area. Normally these are mounted on a 4 bolt shallow swivel base in boats.
Radar, Walmart has many more seats available online than in the stores. You can have them delivered to the store for free, but in my case the shipping was so cheap it wasn't worth getting off the couch. If you can do without the bed option, I think they would be a big improvement. All these better seats take up more room though because you are reclined a bit in them. The factory cushions put you bolt upright. Consider that in your measurements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min View Post
Thanks for that link Scaleman.

I am planning on modifying the front bench on 136 to become a two person dinette. I was thinking of keeping the "make into a single bed" aspect, but, I am leaning toward just using the area as dinette/seating.

While space is limited in a 13', there is a limit to how much can get crammed in and still work easily and comfortably. IMHO anyway
My evolution over many years has been towards "less is more". Many years ago I traveled in a 69 VW bug. I took out the passenger seat and the rear seat, and turned that side of the car into a full time cot. Underneath was storage. Even in that little rig I never had to roll up the bed. In my trailer I have basically eliminated all the dual use areas. For short trips or occasional use it's not so bad to tear down the table into a bed or whatever, but day after day it becomes too big of a headache for me. Since most of my waking hours inside the trailer are spent sitting, having good seats makes sense to me. I'm looking forward to seeing what this seat is like. It looks nice and was highly rated.
David
Old 11-06-2011, 11:22 AM   #15

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Quote:
My evolution over many years has been towards "less is more". Many years ago I traveled in a 69 VW bug. I took out the passenger seat and the rear seat, and turned that side of the car into a full time cot. Underneath was storage. Even in that little rig I never had to roll up the bed. In my trailer I have basically eliminated all the dual use areas. For short trips or occasional use it's not so bad to tear down the table into a bed or whatever, but day after day it becomes too big of a headache for me. Since most of my waking hours inside the trailer are spent sitting, having good seats makes sense to me. I'm looking forward to seeing what this seat is like. It looks nice and was highly rated.
David
Pretty much my outlook also David.

I try to have my "stuff" set up as permanently as possible. Not much to pack away when I want to move from spot to spot. Haven't had a chance to use 136 out on a trip (hopefully early spring 2012), but, with the rig/setup I have been using I can be having a coffee, and part way through decide to leave, and be on the road is less than an hour. And that includes loading the boat (and all its gear, rods, safety stuff), outside gear (awning, roll up table, barbeque, stove, etc.). Then I finish the coffee.

Many times I just have to give my head a "shake" when I see some of the rigs that are out "camping". Takes a day to get partly organized, and then, they start packing up the afternoon before, when they plan to leave at noon the next day!! WT????
Trill136 is offline   Reply With Quote