Ergo Sleeping on a Bigfoot Gaucho! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-08-2011, 06:21 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
theresa p's Avatar
 
Name: theresa
Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
New Brunswick
Posts: 1,382
Registry
here's my 2 cents worth on memory foam....it is luxuriously comfortable. however, if you plan on using it during the winter, BEWARE. the damn stuff will freeze solid. and i mean like a rock. that completely negates it's luxurious qualities!
__________________

__________________
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:10 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
Posts: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post



I've been thinking of something along those lines! I have an old (King Size) comforter cover that can be resized/customized to encase a mattress.
In our 1999 Bigfoot 21 RB there is a "jack-knife" sofa (in the front) that has much the same issue. However, when my better-looking half read this, she said "A-ha"!

She is going to try out the idea of the comforter/quilt thing, folded into thirds, with two thirds on the 'lower (thinner) half" and one third on the thicker (seat) portion, to see if that can help resolve the issue. The quilt can be stored under the couch during daytime.

As soon as we get the trailer back from Escape where we are having a few things done on it, she says she will go and experiment.......

She had been planning on disassembling the upholstery on it and replacing the seat-back portion with something thicker (and re-installing the original material)

She had already made new cushions for our Boler 1700 and they turned out GREAT, so she is not afraid of experimenting.
__________________

__________________
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:56 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Jane P.'s Avatar
 
Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
In our 1999 Bigfoot 21 RB there is a "jack-knife" sofa (in the front) that has much the same issue. However, when my better-looking half read this, she said "A-ha"!

She is going to try out the idea of the comforter/quilt thing, folded into thirds, with two thirds on the 'lower (thinner) half" and one third on the thicker (seat) portion, to see if that can help resolve the issue. The quilt can be stored under the couch during daytime.

As soon as we get the trailer back from Escape where we are having a few things done on it, she says she will go and experiment.......

She had been planning on disassembling the upholstery on it and replacing the seat-back portion with something thicker (and re-installing the original material)

She had already made new cushions for our Boler 1700 and they turned out GREAT, so she is not afraid of experimenting.


Great News! Someone else who understands with the gaucho couch problem!

I want to hear about the experiment. Let's keep in touch!

I am not an upholsterer. But, if all else fails, that would be a consideration. What I'd want to avoid is having to get new material and reupholstering the entire trailer ($$$$). However, you still have that "gap" where the backrest meets the seat. Will additional cushioning alleviate that?

I was thinking about getting a thin topper for the "thinner" seat back section, and then putting it with a 1-2 inch mattress in a custom made cover a la Floyd. I'm trying to figure out how to keep the thin topper in place: It seems that everything slides around to where you don't want it after lights out.

What does your wife think about sewing a thinner topper to the mattress itself? How does she plan on fastening the folded sections of the mattress so that they stay in place?

I need to be able to fold the bed back into couch position. I must to be able to maneuver around the cabin during the day, and I don't want to remake a bed every night.

But it would be great to travel with something as compact as Floyd's mattress.

Any other suggestions?
__________________
'92 Bigfoot 19' | '07 Chevy Tahoe
Jane P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:04 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Jane P.'s Avatar
 
Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
here's my 2 cents worth on memory foam....it is luxuriously comfortable. however, if you plan on using it during the winter, BEWARE. the damn stuff will freeze solid. and i mean like a rock. that completely negates it's luxurious qualities!
I think you may be right. I'm also trying to avoid memory foam because over time, I fear that a concave impression will form where I usually sleep, as well as where the seat back and seat come together on the gaucho couch. Somehow, I think this would compromise my comfort.

My first goal is to discern "how thick" can this mattress be to fill in the "crack", and still allow me to fold the bed back into position. My second problem is to decide the type of mattress best suited for my camping needs.

Comfy and warm: 2 worthy components to a good nights sleep.
__________________
'92 Bigfoot 19' | '07 Chevy Tahoe
Jane P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:55 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
Posts: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post


Great News! Someone else who understands with the gaucho couch problem!

I want to hear about the experiment. Let's keep in touch!

I am not an upholsterer. But, if all else fails, that would be a consideration. What I'd want to avoid is having to get new material and reupholstering the entire trailer ($$$$). However, you still have that "gap" where the backrest meets the seat. Will additional cushioning alleviate that?

I was thinking about getting a thin topper for the "thinner" seat back section, and then putting it with a 1-2 inch mattress in a custom made cover a la Floyd. I'm trying to figure out how to keep the thin topper in place: It seems that everything slides around to where you don't want it after lights out.

What does your wife think about sewing a thinner topper to the mattress itself? How does she plan on fastening the folded sections of the mattress so that they stay in place?

I need to be able to fold the bed back into couch position. I must to be able to maneuver around the cabin during the day, and I don't want to remake a bed every night.

But it would be great to travel with something as compact as Floyd's mattress.

Any other suggestions?
Remember that my Bigfoot does not have a gaucho - it is a full-on luxo sofa of the "jacknife" type that, when you lift on the front edge, it tilts up, a "click" ensues and it pivots outwards as you lower it back down to form a bed. (putting it away consists of lifting the front again and allowing it resume its 'sofa configuration") The Sofa back is thinner than the sofa cushions. It spends 99% of its time as a sofa. So sewing a "make-up" piece onto it is NOT an option.

There is no discernable "gap" between the sofa back and the sofa cushions

Any extra foam etc would be folded up and stuffed into the cavernous space under the sofa when the foam is not needed as "mattress padding"

She was thinking about opening up the material on the sofa back and re-upholstering that portion to make it thicker and 'cushier' for sleeping, if that can be done sans impairing the sofa function
__________________
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 08:41 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Florida
Posts: 878
Registry
We had our sailboat cushions re-done last year. The upholsterer recommended 3" foam (higher density) with an inch of memory foam (cheap topper) glued to the higher density foam top for the v berth. It's great.
Before you spend the bucks, just try spreading a 1 inch over the existing cushions, perhaps? If the cushions are fairly stable. A lot of rv cushions are fairly low density foam, and tend to bottom out, even while sitting, worse when sleeping.
__________________

__________________
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bigfoot


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ergo seating DavidSo Modifications, Alterations and Updates 14 11-06-2011 11:22 AM
Bigfoot Trailer 1981 17 foot gaucho model for sale Pat B Classified Archives 12 01-23-2011 04:59 PM
1992 Bigfoot '17 Gaucho - $8400 Bonnie B. Classified Archives 2 12-21-2009 11:19 PM
1993 Bigfoot Travel Trailer 17' Gaucho Floor Plan Larry Fidler Classified Archives 3 04-17-2008 09:37 AM
1990 17' Bigfoot - Gaucho floorplan $7500 Andrea in Oregon Classified Archives 13 03-25-2008 12:59 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.