Escape Trailer External Lights - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2008, 02:39 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
It is pretty easy to add external lights to the rear and driver's side of an Escape, these come in handy when parking at night and camping in out of the way places. The pictures below show these lights installed.

Rear Light.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4269.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	16252

Driver's side light.

Name:   IMG_4264.JPG
Views: 194
Size:  18.1 KB

If you open the interior storage doors and feel around the inside above the hatch, you’ll notice a ledge that runs the length of the storage areas. This is a good place to run the wires necessary for the rear exterior light. I put my rear light on the passenger's side of the trailer for convenience but a light would work just as well on the driver’s side of the trailer. I held the wires running along the ledge in place with pieces of foam rubber stuck into the ledge area.

If you open the interior storage doors and feel around the outside wall of the storage area near the "floor" of the storage area, you’ll be able to feel 2x4s that are bonded on the exterior wall of the trailer. These 2x4s are the attach points for the cabinets and provide a good place to mount the exterior lights. I back drilled the hole for the exterior light's wires from the inside to the outside of the trailer to make sure the exterior light attach points line up with these 2x4s.

For power I spliced into the factory installed water tank monitor panel and ran one set of wires to the rear light and a separate set to the driver's side light. Because I spliced into the existing monitor panel, no new fuses were required. The Black and White wires on the monitor panel are the power and ground leads. On my trailer the Black wire was originally spliced into a Red wire and the White was spliced into a White wire.

The pictures below show the wires and protective overwrap to the rear and driver's side light. The large wire harness for the driver's side light was added when I put in an external tank monitor as described here http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...r+monitor+panel

Rear light wires.

Name:	IMG_4215.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	16255

Driver's side light wires.

Name:	IMG_4208.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	16254

The only significant lessons learned is to attach the wires to the lights before you install the lights, it is hard to reach into the cabinets to splice a set of wires. Make sure you have adequate wire lengths and cut the excess off after running the wires to the interior monitor panel.
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 04:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Thane... For those of us who are not "Electricky" minded you can order an external light on the darkside of the trailer for night hook ups as well as the porch light. Our 5.0 also came with one under the front for hooking up the fifth hitch...and we use it like a porch light too.
Reace and Tammy are soo accomodating!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape, lighting, lights