Escape Trailer Rock Guard Rain Strip - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2006, 11:19 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
The rock guard over the front window on an Escape trailer has a rubber strip that runs along the bottom. The rubber strip is there to keep water from flowing under the rock guard when you are driving in the rain. This is necessary because the front window slides opens and water can be forced under the rock guard and into the trailer via the sliding window seals. The ventiliation from the large from window is great, but the rubber strip chafes the trailer gelcoat. Some tow vehicles divert the rain enough that water intrusion would not be a problem, my Jeep Cherokee is apparently not not large enough to disrupt the airflow adequately.

Since I don't expect to drive in the rain very often, I drilled out the rivets holding the rubber strip in place and removed the rubber strip. I put the rubber strip in a baggie with a set of screws, washer and nuts of the same size. I included a spare set of hardware in case I drop something.

My plan is to only install the rubber strip when I drive in a significant rainfall. This will minimize the chafing. When returning from the Cambria Rally I got to drive in the rain without the rubber strip installed and only a little bit of water made it into the window track. Rather than install the rubber strip, I put a towel over the top of the gaucho bunk and put a corner of the towel in the window track. This acted like a wick and absorbed the little bit of water that seeped into the track.

I considered other options such as bonding a rain channel below the window, keeping the area and rubber strip well polished, or using alternates to the rubber strip, but decided that since I live in a dry part of the country, removing the rubber strip is better for me. I'll be surprised if I use the rubber strip more than twice a year.

Has anyone else done anything to modify the rubber strip on their trailer?
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 01:05 PM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I'd be tempted to leave the rubber strip in place and then put a narrow thin piece of the peel and stick closed cell foam weatherstipping on the rubber where it contacts. You can test it by only exposing a small amount of the tape in a few places.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 04:01 PM   #3

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Or apply 3-M Anti Squeak tape to the fiberglass under the rubber:

3M Squeak Reduction
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 05:07 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Thanks for the ideas. I'll need to remember the 3-M squek tape, it sounds handy.
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape