Because of the space available on the back bumper of a typical Escape
trailer, an off-the-shelf sewer hose holder will not fit. Reace and the boys install a custom built PVC tube, but the inner diameter was too small for my sewer hose end fittings. Using a tip from another link, I installed a replacement hose holder fabricated from 5 inch square fence post.
I bought a damaged section of fence post and two end caps from a fencing store for $8, they were happy to find a buyer for the broken post. I cut the fence post couple inches longer than the original sewer hose holder to get a little more storage space.
The fence post had rectangular cutouts for the mating fence rail, so I cut a small rectangular piece from the scrap and covered the cutout that would otherwise be on top of the horizontally mounted hose holder. I glued the cover in place with PVC pipe cement. The lower cut out was left open for ventilation.
I moved the spare tire back an inch or so and inserted a shim between the spare tire rack and hose holder to protect both from chaffing. The square fence post rests on a cross frame and is bolted to the frame on the right hand end and the front left hand corner. It sits real nice on the frame and the spare tire rack adds support. The mounting allowed a 1/4 inch of clearance or so between the fiberglass trailer body and the hose holder. When I removed the standard hose holder I noted chaffing to the fiberglass, just cosmetic but I prefer no contact. I added a bungee cord loop and handle to the cover to make it easier to remove and use a 6 inch screw and stainless steel wing nut to hold the cover on. I trimmed the handle off the battery
box to get an extra inch or so of space.
The following two pictures show the new sewer hose holder installed.
I mounted the original hose holder under the frame, near the dump valves. I use it to store a helical, pre-coiled garden hose. I cut the tube in half so I could reach the far end and bolted that end piece to a cross beam. I added one screw to the top of the open end of the tube and attached it to the longitudinal frame. I used a slip fit coupling to reassemble the two tube pieces and used three hose clamps to attach the tube to the frame. I didn't glue the two tube pieces together, that's why it has a slight bow in the middle.