Evaporative cooler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2014, 03:51 PM   #1

Name: Cynthia
Trailer: Hunter Compact II
Arizona
Evaporative cooler

Anyone have any experience with Turbocool evaporative coolers for rvs?
cmalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:42 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
I don't have experience with that one specifically, but evaporative coolers are the poor man's air conditioner. They're also called "swamp coolers". They're cheap, but they don't work all that well, even under ideal conditions.

You need to be in a dry climate. We're talking desert conditions... like 30% humidity or less. I see you live in AZ, so that shouldn't be a problem. They use a lot of water, usually in the range of a gallon per hour, so you need to have that on hand. And they only cool the air 15 or 20 degrees below ambient. So if it's 95 degrees outside, you might be able to cool it down to 80.

On the plus side, they're quiet, they don't use much power, and you can run them off of solar panels.
mmcwhort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:36 PM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
You are right Mike about only dropping the temp maybe 20*. I've never had a swamp fan in an RV but had one in the house I had in AZ in the 70's. The 20* drop from outside to inside was fine. If you were inside and got a bit warm, go outside for a few minutes and go back inside.....cool.
The water supply would be something to be concidered but I do think a swamper would be good for people traveling in the southwest.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:14 AM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalla View Post
Anyone have any experience with Turbocool evaporative coolers for rvs?
When I bought my Fiber Stream it had an older version of an evaporative cooler on the roof. The shroud looked exactly like an RV air conditioner. The exception was the permanent hose that hung on the side of the trailer, to screw onto a faucet to get water up to the reservoir. If I left water in the reservoir while traveling it leaked out as if I had left a roof vent open in the rain. I only did that once; I never wanted to repeat the clean-up of every interior surface! The next time I tried to use it the float valve got stuck and it leaked inside again! The exterior hose also drained the reservoir on the roof. It took 1/2 an hour to gravity feed the water out. I never put water in it again. Later I took it off and put a Fantastic Fan in it's place.