Expanding the Fuse Box. Where to get parts? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2017, 06:13 PM   #1
Nik

Name: Nik
Trailer: BigFoot
Colorado
Expanding the Fuse Box. Where to get parts?

I'd like to add a circuit or two to the 'fuse box' on my 17' Bigfoot TT.

Buying the fuses is easy, but not so much the female fuse receptacles and the lugs holding the wires at the bottom of the board.

I don't even know the actual name for these items. The local electronics store doesn't stock them. Radio Shack is history around here.

Can someone please identify these items and maybe suggest a supplier? Looks like they might snap into place - hopefully no specialty tools needed.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1871.jpg  
Nik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:47 PM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
It looks like you have a MagTek converter which was standard equipment in most Bigfoot trailers. When it was new, it wasn't very good, overheated, and if that is what you have in your trailer, it would be best to replace it. Progressive Dynamics makes a 4600 series converter that fits into your old housing and is a wonderful upgrade. I took my old MagTek out several years ago, and was shocked to find the vinyl floor covering scorched under the converter. I felt lucky to discover the issue before I has a more serious issue. The 4600 series has plenty of extra fuse blocks.
https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/po...r-4600-series/

Also check 12 volt fuse blocks on Amazon.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:52 PM   #3

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
I would second that. The MagTeks are notorious for overheating. Many folks who have replaced them have found a scorched area on the floor under the converter. I also like the recommendation to go with the Progressive Dynamics converter. Check out http://www.bestconverter.com and ask Randy.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:23 PM   #4
Nik

Colorado
The Converter is an Inteli Power 9100 Model PD9130.

https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/po...er-converters/

So I'm good on that front. I don't want to buy a whole new board, though maybe I have to. I'd just like to know how to expand this one. I'm guessing someone replaced the converter but the board stayed original. Is that a MagTek product? Can anyone say who made that board and where to get parts for it?
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0151.jpg  
Old 11-14-2017, 07:33 PM   #5

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik View Post
The Converter is an Inteli Power 9100 Model PD9130.

https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/po...er-converters/

So I'm good on that front. I don't want to buy a whole new board, though maybe I have to. I'd just like to know how to expand this one. I'm guessing someone replaced the converter but the board stayed original. Is that a MagTek product? Can anyone say who made that board and where to get parts for it?
I would say take a few photos of your setup and give Randy a call. He's seen every converter, power center and board out there, and can get you what you need. No, I dont work for him, just a satisfied customer.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:01 PM   #6
Nik

Colorado
Thanks. I wrote to Randy with pics included. Look forward to his reply.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:05 PM   #7

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
Were you able to get the additional board? I think I have something that would work if you are interested. I took mine out and reworked it. The board in the old one I didn't use.
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 09:20 PM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
These are great and easy to find at any autoparts store...

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 09:37 PM   #9
Nik

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricAllyn View Post
Were you able to get the additional board? I think I have something that would work if you are interested. I took mine out and reworked it. The board in the old one I didn't use.
Actually I ordered an expensive new board which lacks the lugs on the back, making the whole thing really not as good as the old one. Forces me to crowd the front lugs. Overcrowd, really.

I'm camping as we speak, didn't install the new one and am looking for a solution still. Think of returning this $50 unit which really isn't an improvement. All I really want is to add fuses and lugs to what I have, as seen in the original post.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:23 AM   #10

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Add a circuit

https://www.walmart.com/ip/TAP-Micro...&wl13=&veh=sem
Attached Thumbnails
1B8379F9-9D58-4080-9327-1D1C3EC36D9E.jpeg  
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 12:33 PM   #11

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
floyd, I purchased a part like that through Walmart on line. It was drop shipped from the distributor.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 06:12 PM   #12

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I have seen a similar fuse board that has updated receptacles for the newer blade fuse styles. The same kind of front lugs with screws are on this board. The product description says it is a replacement for the Magnatek converters but I don't know if it will work with your converter. You will have to find that out for yourself.

https://rvpartsexpress.com/product/7...-036-7100-002/
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 07:23 AM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
NIK

What KC found other then pictured upside down looks like a drop in replacement for you.

Give it a look see.

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 08:05 AM   #14

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
options galore...LOL

and they will all work....I'll add another....LOL

with so many replacing their power centers completely (as opposed to your situation with just a replacement converter)....you'd think there are some old PCs gathering dust in the back rooms of RV parts departments...might be worth a visit...

this is what my BF looked like when I got it.....looks like you got "shortchanged" in the board department...
Attached Thumbnails
yyy.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:54 AM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Franswa
The original one in my 1999 17' Casita was exactly like yours.
I upgraded to a PD4635 and took the still working parts to a rally hoping to give them away last fall.
While helping a friend fix her refrigerator I found that large ceramic resister behind the transformer in pieces and was able to repair her inverter and refrigerator. I told her she needed to take the fuse board too.
I try not to be a pack rat but don't like to trash good stuff.

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote