Exterior 12v outlet? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2016, 11:23 AM   #1

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
Exterior 12v outlet?

I am wishing I had an exterior 12v outlet to run awning lights, recharge my phone, etc. This is what I had in mind:

https://www.amazon.com/Marine-Grade-...ade+12v+socket

Do you think it is possible to mount this beneath the Scamp in the vicinity of the exterior AC outlet? I would NOT want to cut into the shell for mounting purposes. Another location that would be handy is at the end of the rear bumper.

Opinions? Ideas?
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 01:15 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Those come apart, you could then use the mounting plate as a guide to mark for drilling holes to mount it if you really need all those connections at once. Personally I would just use a 12V plug marine outlet and one of the adapters that plug into that for the USB connection for the phone charging.

Mounting it outside means you're going to drill a hole somewhere to get 12V and ground anyway, unless you plan to tie into the main harness which I think would be a real rain, plus figuring out how to seal up the connections to the back of this.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 01:57 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
If you don't want to mount it to the trailer shell. You could always get an oversize battery box and mount it to the box. Run an inline fuse to the battery to protect the circuit. This way you can run your lights right up to your awning.
Provided the battery box is still on the tongue on your trailer.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 02:59 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Registry
This box is another option.
https://www.amazon.com/MinnKota-Trol...ta+battery+box

Ken
Old 08-18-2016, 02:59 PM   #5

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We have an AC outlet under the passenger side dinette. We drilled a hole thru the wooden floor for an AC cable. The outlets are in a metal box with metal, hinged covers. Something similar could be done with a 12 volt outlet requiring no thro Fiberglass holes.

We have a 12 volt outlet in our fridge cooling vent area, accessible by raising the cover. We use it for a 12 volt compressor. We could have located one in the hot water heater on the other side. We have chains on our hot water heater cover allowing it to serve as a shelve.

In the trailer we have 3 AC outlets that have built in USB charging ports.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 09:05 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Unless you can find a 12v outlet RATED for exterior use, I would not do it. It will HAVE to have a sealable cover as well. I have/had one installed right at my Scamp door on the inside of course.

I'd much prefer run a 12v ext cord outside or simply get a 120 plug in with 12v outlets. I'd build one but that's me.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 09:33 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
We had a 16 ft deluxe scamp. with screen door. It has a wood panel inside the door on the left. I put a 12v cigarette lighter socked there, and spliced the wires into to the 12 volt refrigerator circuit.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 11:28 AM   #8

Name: ken
Trailer: bigfoot
British Columbia
I used 110 V waterproof outlet box but only run 12 volt to box and I cut the end of my 12 volt lead and put a normal 110 V plug on, works pretty good. Make sure you mark the box as low-voltage or 12 volt
ken jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 03:34 PM   #9

Trailer: 2003 Scamp 16 ft
Very dangerous practice do not copy this. Every plug has a different configuration for different voltage/amperage for a reason.
Dave Chatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 03:50 PM   #10

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Check your local auto supply. For a whole lot less you will find one meant for a pickup truck box.

Something like this:
Bell 12 Volt all weather power outlet 05349-8- Read1Reviews onBell #05349-8
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 03:52 PM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I agree 100% with you Dave!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Chatham View Post
Very dangerous practice do not copy this. Every plug has a different configuration for different voltage/amperage for a reason.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 05:41 PM   #12

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by herons View Post
I am wishing I had an exterior 12v outlet to run awning lights, recharge my phone, etc. This is what I had in mind:

https://www.amazon.com/Marine-Grade-...ade+12v+socket

Do you think it is possible to mount this beneath the Scamp in the vicinity of the exterior AC outlet? I would NOT want to cut into the shell for mounting purposes. Another location that would be handy is at the end of the rear bumper.

Opinions? Ideas?
Peg,

I'll second Charlie on just installing a 12V marine power outlet (cigarette lighter style socket). You could then add a portable USB adapter when needed for charging.

That way the more delicate and hard-to-clean contacts in the USB connectors would not be exposed to weather, road spray, etc. The adaptor would be stored in the trailer or tow vehicle and just plugged in when needed.

After all, the power socket is only weather "resistant". Unless you've recently changed your climate in MA, resistant may really not be good enough over the long haul.

Locating the one you linked within a polycarbonate weatherproof enclosure might be another option, but that might be more complicated or expensive than you'd favor.

https://www.google.com/search?q=poly...oe=&gws_rd=ssl

In any event, I suggest trying to find an exterior location that's as sheltered as you can. And/or, go with the enclosure.

It sounds like an interesting project. Good luck!

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 05:49 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Or you can really cheap out and run a 12V extension out the door or out a window, like I do.
Attached Thumbnails
12V extension cord.jpg  
Old 09-01-2016, 05:58 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I also have a couple splitters. Got these at The Source in Canada ( was Radio Shack once ) or Canadian Tire.
Attached Thumbnails
DC splitters.jpg