Exterior color scheme too tacky? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2018, 06:52 AM   #41

Trailer: Compact Jr 1972
Bedliner paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
If you are satisfied with the quality of the paint work and want to keep a good relationship with the owner, I'd ask for a reasonable discount and let it be.

Alternatively, how about the red stripe on the bottom and painting the pop-top yellow for better reflectivity and less heat gain?

Maybe too late, but I wonder if the lower stripe could be painted in a matching red tinted bedliner-type product for chip resistance?
Yes, probably too late, but I could ask, what a great idea!! The original color of my trailer was yellow, so I suppose I can expect more yellow chips now that the lower part will be red-on-yellow. Just much more obvious chips!
Cory Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:04 AM   #42

pop up color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
I read about the leg mix-up decades ago--if I were having something cut off, I'd be writing on it myself with a paint pen!

But who thinks of writing on a surface before a paint job? What if the writing bled through the paint?

I don't know that getting angry would have helped; I like the proportions better this way, but would maybe have added a thinner yellow stripe above the belly band as well...though you could get a nice racing stripe or other long decal on ebay for a few dollars, in yellow if you wanted, or black or white, and add it. Some decal work can really perk up the look--as we found with Peanut. You can get the trailer brand and name done...that was one of the most fun parts of finishing Peanut, picking out the embellishments.

I've found if a provider keeps saying the same mistake more than once that there's a chance their mind is elsewhere.

What color is the pop-up top? We'll see it next weekend, knock wood. I'm hoping the rain doesn't drown us all.

Kai
"K"
The pop-up is a tired beige. My intention is to get it replaced, but I can't find an upholsterer to do it--years now. Someone here just told me to ask a sailmaker, but the one I visited here once was busier than a koot and was retiring to boot. Do you think I should do the pop-up material yellow? Seems kind of carried away to me.

The shop owner is painting thin stripes at the edge of each color, so I'm waiting to see what that looks like.

On the campout if it's raining you likely won't see my pop-up at all--popping it up makes it awfully cool in the trailer, and I'm short enough I don't need to pop it up for space. But i'll try to get it up for trailer tours if at all possible.

Photos: the "good ol days" before the paint debacle; photo from the original 1970s Compact Jr. brochure.

THANKS for the support, everyone!!
Attached Thumbnails
CJwithawnings1.jpg   CompactJr70sphoto of photo 3-14_resized.jpg  

Old 09-16-2018, 07:11 AM   #43

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
The stripes sound super. Should make it all look very intentional and sporty. It's a darling trailer.

I don't know what should be done about the pop up fabric. I've seen some threads on that topic here on occasion.

I hear you about keeping it closed if it's too chilly.

Kai
Old 09-16-2018, 12:04 PM   #44

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
If you do the canvas popup in anything other than a neutral color, everything inside, including people and food will take on that hue. I would stick with tan.
Old 09-16-2018, 12:42 PM   #45

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
Doctor Harold: Thanks.

We chose the simpler way, since our van is plain white, and just went with that.

works for me!

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 01:56 PM   #46

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
A plain white trailer is a blank canvas.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:13 AM   #47

Name: Jason
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Newfoundland and Labrador
Can the whole partridge family fit inside? Lol

Paint it whatever colors you love.
DiBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:44 AM   #48

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
No one could ever say they didn't see you. I would avoid black though as the darker the color the more heat it will absorb and the more heat you have to shed so you can sleep at night.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:02 PM   #49

In the paint shop--first peek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
If you like it that is all that matters.
Ta-da! Here's a couple of photos of my Compact Jr. I snatched today just after completing his "second stripe". WAY better, I think!!

Also the painter got an upholsterer interested in doing the popup "canvas"!
Attached Thumbnails
Jr. right after 2nd red 9-17-18 2.jpg   Jr. right after 2nd red 9-17-18 1.jpg  

Jr. right after 2nd red 9-17-18 3.jpg  
Old 09-17-2018, 11:14 PM   #50

Name: Daniel
Trailer: Sold it
Northern VA
You now have the Spanish flag.

Looks pretty good.
Dan-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:24 AM   #51

Spanish Flag-Mobile

Believe it or not, I was just thinking about the Spanish flag a few hours ago! Decorated a skeleton to look like a pirate for Halloween, and today shopping for things to make a "treasure chest". Passed by a series of small flags at Goodwill, but didn't know which one would be a nice Spanish Armada one. Now I know!!
Old 09-18-2018, 01:10 AM   #52

Ambulance paint job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Hilby View Post
Ta-da! Here's a couple of photos of my Compact Jr. I snatched today just after completing his "second stripe". WAY better, I think!!

Also the painter got an upholsterer interested in doing the popup "canvas"!

If I ever am in a big, big rush I just need to back my trailer up the freeway and everyone will think an ambulance is going past!
Attached Thumbnails
Jr. right after 2nd red 9-17-18 1 (2).jpg  
Old 09-18-2018, 06:34 AM   #53

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Looks great, can't wait until this weekend to see it in person. It is definitely noticeable!
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote