Exterior, In Mid-repaint Process - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2007, 04:52 PM   #1

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Tirah
We are finally in the process of repainting our Scamp with Interlux Brightside. So far, we're very impressed. We sanded, washed, and painted with a roller and brush. It is a very glossy finish- much nicer than our decayed, sun baked gel coat. We are still going to add another coat and some embellishments to it...and some snazzy hubcaps!

Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer_painted1.jpg
Views:	631
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	8676
Attached Thumbnails
trailer_painted2.jpg  
Tirah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 05:25 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Looking Good
Old 07-06-2007, 06:34 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler 1984

Name:	PICT0001_03.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	8681
That's looking good.
You guys give inspiration. I can only hope that this one will look as good.
I've got 'er sanded and the top half primed as of to day. Hope to get a couple of coats of finish on in the next week. and then work on the lower half. In between the Honey-do's i might "get-er-done" by fall. Here's a pic while being sanded.Jim
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 06:58 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
So far, we're very impressed. We sanded, washed, and [b]painted with a roller and brush. It is a very glossy finish-
I am impressed! Very good for a roller and brush!
Old 07-06-2007, 09:56 PM   #5

Looks rather good.

Though the color looks rather hot for a camper....I'd add white on top, other coloring striping with white on the side to bring the white top into the color scheme. The other coloring to add touch matching the interior colors....
Mike jagular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Looks rather good.

Though the color looks rather hot for a camper....I'd add white on top, other coloring striping with white on the side to bring the white top into the color scheme. The other coloring to add touch matching the interior colors....
Thanks!

We have an AC, and the trailer is kept parked under a giant oak tree and tarp when not in use, so we weren't worried about the heat factor. We'll repaint the top in a light color if someday we decide not to have AC. That Brightside paint and an electric sander makes it an easy job.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:09 PM   #7

Trailer: Trail Michigante
Quote:
Thanks!

We have an AC, and the trailer is kept parked under a giant oak tree and tarp when not in use, so we weren't worried about the heat factor. We'll repaint the top in a light color if someday we decide not to have AC. That Brightside paint and an electric sander makes it an easy job.
Bright side is an easy way to go we used it for years on boats aLways good for 2+years. on boats used every day on the water. were getting ready to over haul the scrambled egg. Nick our soninlaw WIll paint it, its his now & the deal is he cant sell it.she's my first love just after paula & the Lord. seams Ihad a week moment a bought JERRY& Bonita,s little toy. Iam working on the tug know. Hope to make it too Bullards early sunday. hope i added the right picture??? thank u all LEE

Name:	MVC_034F.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	8898
Paula Washburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 04:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Bright side is an easy way to go we used it for years on boats aLways good for 2+years.
Is that what can be expected on a Boler paint job?
Suzanne P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 06:52 AM   #9

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500 (tandem)
[quote]We are finally in the process of repainting our Scamp with Interlux Brightside. So far, we're very impressed. We sanded, washed, and painted with a roller and brush. It is a very glossy finish- much nicer than our decayed, sun baked gel coat. We are still going to add another coat and some embellishments to it...and some snazzy hubcaps!

Attachment 8676

Looks really good for using a roller and brush. I'm considering doing some exterior work also, so I was just wondering why a roller instead of a spay bomb? What kind of paint did you use?

MIke
mmaclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 12:51 PM   #10

Trailer: Burro
How did you get such a finish with a roller? also did you have to do any repairs ? I have some spiderweb cracking I want to take care of
corey lossing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 06:06 PM   #11

Trailer: Boler (maybe)
Quote:
How did you get such a finish with a roller? also did you have to do any repairs ? I have some spiderweb cracking I want to take care of

I have used Brightsides on boats and it really looks like it was sprayed on when it was just rolled.I use a mini 3 inch hot dog roller made of foam and a good quality brush.The trick is thinning it just a little and only rolling up and down from like the bottom to the belly band and then tipping with the brush left to right.Only roll about a 6 inch wide spot and then tip it and just work your way around it.I will probably start with the roof and then do from the belly band up and then from the bottom to the belly band.I will be doing my Scamp in a few weeks.I am still working on the interior.

Mike
MikeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 06:29 PM   #12

make sure to prime with interlux primer to fill in pits and spiders, since brightside is such a glossy paint all defects will show
Quote:
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 07:25 PM   #13

Trailer: 88 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
I think the color turned out great. It's a bright shine too. Sooooo..... Just how much paint did it take to cover your 13' ?
DanPatWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 07:57 PM   #14

Trailer: Two 13 ft Scamps
Registry
This is so amazing. Where do you get this paint and primer?
jaye580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 07:45 PM   #15

Hey Dan,

I haven't logged in here for a while, so sorry this is such a late reply... we used about four quart cans on the trailer.

Quote:
I think the color turned out great. It's a bright shine too. Sooooo..... Just how much paint did it take to cover your 13' ?
Old 12-30-2007, 08:41 PM   #16

Trailer: 88 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Hey Dan,

I haven't logged in here for a while, so sorry this is such a late reply... we used about four quart cans on the trailer.

Thanks for getting back to me. We have proceeded with the interlux product since my previous post. We ran into a few problems and ended up purchasing a totally of 1.75 gallons. I'm very impressed with the color of the product, but unlike others on this forum I'm a little bit unsatisfied with the finish results. Maybe I'm a bit to picky, I'm not sure. I'm used to dealing with automotive spray finishes and we ran into to many problems with dust, and remaining streak marks from the tipping process. I believe we followed all of the recommendations and application instructions per manufacturer but we just weren't able to produce a finish that I'd be totally satisfied with. For now it will have to do, and the next time we will have the unit sent out to a local spray shop with a downdraft booth to do the application.
DanPatWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 07:18 AM   #17

Trailer: 1978 13 ft Scamp
I think it looks fantastic, does it match your tow car, funny i want to do mine a blue but my van is green so im thinking perhaps i stay with white.
Valerie G is offline   Reply With Quote