Exterior Storage Door - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2017, 04:54 PM   #1

Name: Jami
Trailer: 75 Trillium
British Columbia
Exterior Storage Door

Hey! Not sure if the 1975 Trillium came with an exterior storage door on the entry side of the trailer. Mine has one. Its handy. The storage goes under one of the benches. Anywayyyyy...there was a cover over the hole, that was not hinged or secure, so of course, it fell off somewhere on the highway! Now I need to replace it. The hole is about 17 x 12". Anyone have any suggestions on what material to use, where I can find it and ideas on how to hinge and secure to the trailer and perhaps add weatherstripping??
Thanks
Jami
Jami Scheffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:07 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Maybe the best option is to buy a whole new storage door assembly if you can find one close in size to what you have. Try searching for boat hatches.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:41 PM   #3

Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Ontario
Last summer I found a new hatch door on ebay for 25.00. There was a good selection of sizes at that time. You might find something that works for you there.
Patricia D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:43 PM   #4

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
The keywords you need are "RV compartment door" or "RV access door" sometimes people use the word hatch in place of door. It is unlikely you will find a door on its own. So you do need to get the exact measurement of the actual size of the opening that is cut into the fiberglass before you begin shopping. That cut out opening is the measurement used to specify what you are trying to buy.

Ebay is of course a good place to find them for less than the retail price from the makers of compartment doors.

RV salvage yards are another good possibility and they may be willing to ship. Just email your dimensions along with photos and do use a ruler in the photos so they can verify the measurements and also see exactly how your opening is setup.

It is possible to have a company make you a brand new, custom, access door set to match your opening size if you can't find a used or discounted one that is the correct size.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:19 PM   #5

Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
baggage door

check ebay all sorts of them there. I am thinking of doing a cobble job on my scamper where the water tank is so I can store my tools there!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 12:28 AM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jami Scheffer View Post
Hey! Not sure if the 1975 Trillium came with an exterior storage door on the entry side of the trailer. Mine has one. Its handy. The storage goes under one of the benches. Anywayyyyy...there was a cover over the hole, that was not hinged or secure, so of course, it fell off somewhere on the highway! Now I need to replace it. The hole is about 17 x 12". Anyone have any suggestions on what material to use, where I can find it and ideas on how to hinge and secure to the trailer and perhaps add weatherstripping??
Thanks
Jami
Welcome to FGRV Jami. Your question is pretty straight forward but I wanted to give you a tip for other questions. A few years ago someone asked where to find an XX replacement door. He received many answers from how he described it. Problem was that after he finally posted a pic we were all wrong. If I remember correctly, he wanted a vented door panel for the refer and we were all thinking a hatch/storage door . Sure gave credence to the "a picture is worth a 1000 words". You didn't mention if your door had square or radius corners . Just tossing this out to you for thought. You may be far better off to replace it with a new complete unit, frame and all. Ebay is a good source and you might get lucky to find the exact size you need. If not and you have the room, a tad bigger is good. If you do replace the whole thing, clean the mating overlapping edges for the frame well and use butyl tape as the sealer.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:13 AM   #7

Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
baggage door

dave my A-Liner had a long storage area under a cabinent in my A-Liner everytime I needed something it was on the wrong end. I had to almost climb in there to get it or raise the bed.

so one day I spotted a guy who had got him a couple of baggage doors off ebay and whacked a couple of holes in his A-Liner sort of scarey. Well I looked and looked at the doors and finally went out a drew an outline on the outside it looked ok nothing to cut into serious.

I drilled a hole in each corner started cutting the lines then I had a hole I got out my glue did that to the sides slapped the doors in and had nice new baggage doors 2 of them on the opposite side of the A-Liner!

worked like a charm and oh so nice

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 01:51 PM   #8

Name: Henry
Trailer: Scamp 2017 16-ft SD / FB
Texas
gaggage door

Should be baggage door

I just completed my search for a cargo / baggage door for my 16-ft Scamp.

For used door try azrvsalvage.com (8778248242), for a new replacement doors talked to Rocky or Carol at RVShop.com (8772498571) a custom door cost is in the $180 range with radius corners.

A square or rec door off the shelf can be had a lot cheaper. RV Parts Nation (5742645575) was very high and Challengerdoor.com did not return my phone call. Interstate door has a clerk taking order and MNM Manufacturing telephone is a non-working number.

Henry
Houston TX
Gattopuin64 is offline   Reply With Quote