Exterior storage ideas for Scamp 16 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2018, 02:02 PM   #1

Name: A&H
Trailer: Scamp std 16
Wisconsin
Exterior storage ideas for Scamp 16

We are getting a (new) Scamp 16 next month and I'm wondering what other owners have done to provide exterior storage. I have seen some ideas that I'm pondering, such as a hatch door under the benches, as well as boxes or PVC under the trailer. Post your thoughts or pictures of your solutions!

I'm particularly interested in tongue boxes, but what do people do with the propane tank (we will have one, not two) and the battery? I'm getting mixed messages on whether it's a good idea to put either one in an enclosure. But then I'm seeing a lot of other travel trailers that sell their units with the tank in a box.
birchbark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 04:07 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
FWIW, on our Escape, the battery is inside the optional front storage box. Its in a regular battery box. Since it doesn't vent to the interior of the trailer, its not the issue that having a battery inside the cabin.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:40 AM   #3

Name: Tom
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
Lead-Acid Batteries produces hydrogen as part of their charging process. It can be explosive, but batteries don't make very much of it. And this gas goes up, as it is lighter than air. Vents at the top of an enclosure will be handy for batteries.

Propane gas is heavier than air, and you have a lot of it if there is a leak. Definitely have a large vent at the bottom of the enclosure.
TomE11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 10:08 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Not sure, but I got the idea that Scamp is now including a cargo door for the space under the left side rear bench.
If your's doesn't have one, I can send pics of the one I added on our 2000 DLX.
Send me your e-mail at Lwgcollins@aol.com
wc
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp