Fabricating Window Hardware - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2013, 07:56 PM   #1

Name: Cathy
Trailer: 1973 Love Bug '13
Florida
Registry
Fabricating Window Hardware

We are once again making progress on the Love Bug. My question is about windows.
Our LB came with repairs and changes done by PO. I can tell that some of these parts have been replaced, what I don't know is how the hardware should be put together.

We don't want to replace them, we like them and want to use them.

We removed the windows and disassembled them, removed the dry rotted gaskets. Cleaned them, replaced the plexi, put them back together. #2 Couldn't find the correct "glazing gasket" so caulked around the plexi. Pressing the plexi close to the side facing in. The thicker glazing is on the window facing out. #3. That is the side that the glazing gasket were.

#1 is the window frame reinstalled. There was no interior ring so we used heavy aluminum angles. Plan to cover with decorative window frame.

#4 this is how the windows were put together. The screens are attached to the window frame. The push bars pass through a slit in the screen then through a hole in the window frame. Then the ends are hooked under brackets.#9. All four of the push bar connections are different.#5 The slit in the window frame, that they pass through, is badly damaged because of the ill fitting push bars banging against the sides.

The push bars were attached to the windows with nuts and bolts. There is barely enough room for the bracket to be attached. # 6 and 8 show the holes. They are badly damaged from repeated "work" as well.

I fabricated a new attachment bracket #6 and plan to put two new holes in the window to secure. Can those be attached with rivets or should they be attached with nut and bolt? The brackets are attached through the plexi. All of the plexi windows were cracked at that point when we got it. I can't figure out another way to attach the push bars without penetrating the plexi.

#9 is an original latch hook for the push bar as well as one that I am fabricating. Does anyone know where to get one of them. We are only missing one.

Any information that anyone can give me on how this type of window should be put together and or if my plans look like they will work. Pictures would be great.

Thanks for any ideas or thoughts,
Attached Thumbnails
Forum post pics.jpg   Forum post pics1.jpg  

Cat futrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:33 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
These are tilt out windows? See if there's anything in this thread that helps: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ows-42049.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:42 PM   #3

Name: Cathy
Trailer: 1973 Love Bug '13
Florida
Registry
Wow Donna,

Great thread. Thanks for pointing me that way. We are getting closer and closer to camping. If you had told me, last July when we got him, that we still wouldn't be camping, I don't think we would have done all of this. I still keep thinking that something else is going to go wrong.

Just gun shy, I guess.
Cat futrell is offline   Reply With Quote