fan for fridge? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-14-2011, 07:52 PM   #15
Member
 
Name: Russ
Trailer: Boler
Minnesota
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeP View Post
No problem, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something! As Byron said, my understanding was that vents were needed - and I cut them in last night! Went smooth.

NOW, how do you all keep water from soaking in the inside, when it's raining/driving???? Do you have some sort of vent cover?

Last question, does a 3-way fridge drain somehow? Mine is used and with no manual...
I cut my vents as you described and haven't had any trouble with water. I did my best to keep the back of the fridge completely sealed from the interior and made sure there was a drain hole at the bottom to evacuate any water that did get in.

Russ

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4396.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	37909
__________________

__________________
RussL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:20 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
LukeP's Avatar
 
Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Iowa
Posts: 261
Registry
Thanks for the pics Vic and Bill! Mine look exactly like Bill's pics, and we did drive thru rain last night and everything seemed to stay dry.

I had read thru Roy and Norm's posts on their work - and did a similar setup. However, since I'm tired of spending money on this whole project, I did use some stuff laying around - so it's a bit more tacked together than some of the craftsmanship I've seen on your trailers!.... I used some aluminimum flashing I had to build a little "hood" to the upper vent, used metal tape to seal all of the gaps in the hood as well as the plywood box I built to separate the fridge. Mounted the fan just inside the upper vent to draw up. Will attach a pic here before the vents went in.

Tim, I have an old Dometic RM2201 that I picked up used - and have just found a manual online. Unfortunately, nothing in the manual addresses a drain line, and I'm not certain where it'd drain from? There is a hole in the floor, I've always assumed from the original ice box, that I've caulked over. It would be easy to pull that out and drop a hose in if I knew where it drained.

Lastly, now if only I could get the fridge to fire up It bench tested fine, but no-go since it went in the camper. Guess I'll tackle it again tomorrow. Thanks for all of the help!
Attached Thumbnails
fridge vents and fan.jpg  
__________________

__________________
LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:01 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,432
Luke, the RM2201 three-way that's in my 23 year old Scamp doesn't drain anywhere. There IS a drip tray (inside) at the very back under the refer portion. It goes the entire width of the refrigerator and is removable. I've never noticed more than a couple of tablespoons of water in it. YMMV
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:02 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
LukeP's Avatar
 
Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Iowa
Posts: 261
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Luke, the RM2201 three-way that's in my 23 year old Scamp doesn't drain anywhere. There IS a drip tray (inside) at the very back under the refer portion. It goes the entire width of the refrigerator and is removable. I've never noticed more than a couple of tablespoons of water in it. YMMV
Thanks Donna! Does yours have a little drain hole inside the fridge, in the back wall just under the fins? I see one in mine, wonder if it should have a plug, or if it would end up in the drip tray?
__________________
LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 02:04 PM   #19
Member
 
Susanm34's Avatar
 
Name: Sue & Gene
Trailer: 1989 Scamper 16ft
Illinois
Posts: 92
Registry
We recently added a dorm frig and a 5000 BTU A/C unit, where the old original frig was located in our 16 Ft Scamp. We found a 9 inch clip on fan (electric) that we have mounted at the top of cabinet, behind the frig and A/C unit. We also have the original vent that was there for the old Frig, and drilled holes in the cabinet facing the bench up front, for added air flow.
__________________
Susanm34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:38 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Posts: 203
Registry
I installed one 12v 4" computer fan on the upper refridgerator vent facing outwards as well. It is switched. It does drastically improve the cooling of the fridge.

I also lined the top of my fridge compartment with reflectrix and duct sheet metal to direct the hot air out the upper vent. I did this mainly as a way of reducing the fridge heat that was bleading up into the interior.
__________________
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:13 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
LukeP's Avatar
 
Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Iowa
Posts: 261
Registry
Quick follow-up on this topic... I did install a fan in the upper vent, it seemed to kick on and the fridge cooled okay. The biggest problem was how strong the pilot smelled while being in the camper. Strong enough it gave me a head-ache until I shut it off. My LP alarm didn't mind it, but I sure did.

Is this common, or do I need to line the compartment better? It's quite tight, and I doubt I'd have room for reflectix. But maybe I could re-do my sheet metal and flashing that goes up to the upper vent?
__________________
LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:47 PM   #22
Member
 
Name: Greg
Trailer: 1977 17' Boler
Saskatchewan
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeP View Post
I'm tackling a changeover from the dorm fridge that the PO put in my Boler, to a 3-way. I'm installing my vents like the "almost good venting" from the site recommended a few other times on here Gas/Electric Fridge Venting

However, I'm not sure where people have installed the small 12v fans (or computer fans, etc) to help the airflow best? Thoughts or help? Thx!
Hi Luke,

Thought that I should add my two cents in here. Have you looked at the Dometic web site for vent spacing for your fridge model. Now it mat not be possible to follow all of the specs that Dometic is asking, but they engineered the fridge to be vent as close as to what they ask for proper operation. Now in the real world, there are very few trailer manufactures that have followed what Dometic wants either, hence the venting and cooling problems. Who put that cupboard there for the microwave So each trailer and each installation poses its own problems. I would look up your model at Dometic and see what they are asking for vent size and spacing and what you are able to do on the Boler. RV - Dometic

Alot of vent above vent fridge instals are way under sized and that is why the owners have difficulties later on.

Boler77 Greg
__________________
Boler77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:23 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
LukeP's Avatar
 
Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Iowa
Posts: 261
Registry
Good call, Greg. I do think I was able to install within specs. I found an old Dometic manual for my fridge that gave a range of spacing and placement specs - I was able to make it work.

However, maybe the strong pilot smell is normal, and I'm just more sensitive to it? I don't seem to have problems getting it cooled, just the smell.

Thx!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Boler77 View Post
Hi Luke,

Thought that I should add my two cents in here. Have you looked at the Dometic web site for vent spacing for your fridge model. Now it mat not be possible to follow all of the specs that Dometic is asking, but they engineered the fridge to be vent as close as to what they ask for proper operation. Now in the real world, there are very few trailer manufactures that have followed what Dometic wants either, hence the venting and cooling problems. Who put that cupboard there for the microwave So each trailer and each installation poses its own problems. I would look up your model at Dometic and see what they are asking for vent size and spacing and what you are able to do on the Boler. RV - Dometic

Alot of vent above vent fridge instals are way under sized and that is why the owners have difficulties later on.

Boler77 Greg
__________________
LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:43 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Posts: 692
Luke,
If you are getting a smell every time you run the fridge on propane, then I would look for a opening to the inside of the trailer from the burner area.

Bill K


Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeP View Post
Good call, Greg. I do think I was able to install within specs. I found an old Dometic manual for my fridge that gave a range of spacing and placement specs - I was able to make it work.

However, maybe the strong pilot smell is normal, and I'm just more sensitive to it? I don't seem to have problems getting it cooled, just the smell.

Thx!
__________________
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:20 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Rick G's Avatar
 
Name: Rick
Trailer: former Boler, now 1980 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Posts: 366
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Luke,
If you are getting a smell every time you run the fridge on propane, then I would look for a opening to the inside of the trailer from the burner area.

Bill K
You might also have a leak elsewhere in the propane system if you are turning the gas on from the tank when running the fridge. Since the pilot light for the RM2201 is on the rear exterior of the fridge, venting to the outside, you would only smell gas inside the trailer if the pilot was not burning all the gas and you also had a leak around the fridge letting the unburned gas into the trailer. You should check the gas connections leading to the fridge, and your other gas connections for your other appliances as well, as it seems possible that you have a leak from something that is inside the trailer. If you only smell the gas when opening the fridge door, then a hole where the capillary tubes for the two thermostats enter the fridge is a place to check.

With normal operation I do not think you should smell any propane at all, except perhaps for a brief time when you are lighting the pilot.

You can check to see if your propane detector is working by running a butane lighter without flame under it. The detectors need to be replaced every few years.

Rick G
__________________
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:47 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Tim Wood's Avatar
 
Name: Tim
Trailer: Class B for now
NY
Posts: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick G View Post
You might also have a leak elsewhere in the propane system if you are turning the gas on from the tank when running the fridge. Since the pilot light for the RM2201 is on the rear exterior of the fridge, venting to the outside, you would only smell gas inside the trailer if the pilot was not burning all the gas and you also had a leak around the fridge letting the unburned gas into the trailer. You should check the gas connections leading to the fridge, and your other gas connections for your other appliances as well, as it seems possible that you have a leak from something that is inside the trailer. If you only smell the gas when opening the fridge door, then a hole where the capillary tubes for the two thermostats enter the fridge is a place to check.

With normal operation I do not think you should smell any propane at all, except perhaps for a brief time when you are lighting the pilot.

You can check to see if your propane detector is working by running a butane lighter without flame under it. The detectors need to be replaced every few years.

Rick G

+1 and I might ad that your pilot should be an all blue flame, if there is any yellow in there you may need to clean your burner.
__________________
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:32 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
LukeP's Avatar
 
Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Iowa
Posts: 261
Registry
Thanks for the thoughts, let me add to them.

Checked the LP detector which is new this season - and it works at a mere breath of propane! I also sprayed all of my connections anyway to ensure there wasn't a leak elsewhere - no bubbling.

Rick mentioned holes for tubes, I do have one open that I assumed was a drain hole. However, the strong pilot smell is regardless of the door being closed. and it usually was to keep the cold air in.

I did run a light behind the fridge and see that I have a slight gap along the trim, that could be allowing enough 'smell' in to the interior.

I didn't think of this before, and personally I can't see why it would matter - but I did end up needing a new thermocoupler. I picked one up at a small RV shop and it's a Dometic with the same fittings, but longer than the original. Can't see why it would matter, but it IS the only change I've made since I bought it. When it was bench tested I never noticed the smell - but it wasn't in close quarters either to really tell. Thoughts on whether this matters?
__________________
LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:20 AM   #28
Member
 
Susanm34's Avatar
 
Name: Sue & Gene
Trailer: 1989 Scamper 16ft
Illinois
Posts: 92
Registry
Smile Venting

We made great use of the outside vent-it helps provide venting for the dorm size frig we have, and the A/C unit we installed recently, AND allows for the A/C unit to drain properly!
We also installed a 9 inch fan at the back/top of the cabinet the appliances sit in, and drilled holes in the sides of that same cabinet, to allow even more air movement! It has all worked like a dream!
__________________

__________________
Susanm34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fridge


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fan-tastic Fan Seller - Best Price I Found barryra General Chat 1 07-11-2011 05:51 PM
Slowing down a fan! Russell A Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 14 03-22-2011 03:33 PM
Fan vs. A/C Time K General Chat 2 09-01-2008 06:48 PM
Fan-tastic fan Ken&Chris Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 13 04-11-2006 08:15 PM
Breeze Fan Christi V. General Chat 36 03-25-2006 09:49 PM

» Trailer Showcase

Bigfoot

jordo

Carefree

Elfinor
» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.