fan for fridge? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2011, 10:13 PM   #21

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Registry
Quick follow-up on this topic... I did install a fan in the upper vent, it seemed to kick on and the fridge cooled okay. The biggest problem was how strong the pilot smelled while being in the camper. Strong enough it gave me a head-ache until I shut it off. My LP alarm didn't mind it, but I sure did.

Is this common, or do I need to line the compartment better? It's quite tight, and I doubt I'd have room for reflectix. But maybe I could re-do my sheet metal and flashing that goes up to the upper vent?
LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:47 PM   #22

Name: Greg
Trailer: 1977 17' Boler
Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeP View Post
I'm tackling a changeover from the dorm fridge that the PO put in my Boler, to a 3-way. I'm installing my vents like the "almost good venting" from the site recommended a few other times on here Gas/Electric Fridge Venting

However, I'm not sure where people have installed the small 12v fans (or computer fans, etc) to help the airflow best? Thoughts or help? Thx!
Hi Luke,

Thought that I should add my two cents in here. Have you looked at the Dometic web site for vent spacing for your fridge model. Now it mat not be possible to follow all of the specs that Dometic is asking, but they engineered the fridge to be vent as close as to what they ask for proper operation. Now in the real world, there are very few trailer manufactures that have followed what Dometic wants either, hence the venting and cooling problems. Who put that cupboard there for the microwave So each trailer and each installation poses its own problems. I would look up your model at Dometic and see what they are asking for vent size and spacing and what you are able to do on the Boler. RV - Dometic

Alot of vent above vent fridge instals are way under sized and that is why the owners have difficulties later on.

Boler77 Greg
Boler77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:23 AM   #23

Registry
Good call, Greg. I do think I was able to install within specs. I found an old Dometic manual for my fridge that gave a range of spacing and placement specs - I was able to make it work.

However, maybe the strong pilot smell is normal, and I'm just more sensitive to it? I don't seem to have problems getting it cooled, just the smell.

Thx!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boler77 View Post
Hi Luke,

Thought that I should add my two cents in here. Have you looked at the Dometic web site for vent spacing for your fridge model. Now it mat not be possible to follow all of the specs that Dometic is asking, but they engineered the fridge to be vent as close as to what they ask for proper operation. Now in the real world, there are very few trailer manufactures that have followed what Dometic wants either, hence the venting and cooling problems. Who put that cupboard there for the microwave So each trailer and each installation poses its own problems. I would look up your model at Dometic and see what they are asking for vent size and spacing and what you are able to do on the Boler. RV - Dometic

Alot of vent above vent fridge instals are way under sized and that is why the owners have difficulties later on.

Boler77 Greg
Old 08-09-2011, 11:43 AM   #24

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Luke,
If you are getting a smell every time you run the fridge on propane, then I would look for a opening to the inside of the trailer from the burner area.

Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeP View Post
Good call, Greg. I do think I was able to install within specs. I found an old Dometic manual for my fridge that gave a range of spacing and placement specs - I was able to make it work.

However, maybe the strong pilot smell is normal, and I'm just more sensitive to it? I don't seem to have problems getting it cooled, just the smell.

Thx!
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:20 PM   #25

Trailer: 74 Boler 13 ft / 97 Ford Aerostar
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Luke,
If you are getting a smell every time you run the fridge on propane, then I would look for a opening to the inside of the trailer from the burner area.

Bill K
You might also have a leak elsewhere in the propane system if you are turning the gas on from the tank when running the fridge. Since the pilot light for the RM2201 is on the rear exterior of the fridge, venting to the outside, you would only smell gas inside the trailer if the pilot was not burning all the gas and you also had a leak around the fridge letting the unburned gas into the trailer. You should check the gas connections leading to the fridge, and your other gas connections for your other appliances as well, as it seems possible that you have a leak from something that is inside the trailer. If you only smell the gas when opening the fridge door, then a hole where the capillary tubes for the two thermostats enter the fridge is a place to check.

With normal operation I do not think you should smell any propane at all, except perhaps for a brief time when you are lighting the pilot.

You can check to see if your propane detector is working by running a butane lighter without flame under it. The detectors need to be replaced every few years.

Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:47 PM   #26

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick G View Post
You might also have a leak elsewhere in the propane system if you are turning the gas on from the tank when running the fridge. Since the pilot light for the RM2201 is on the rear exterior of the fridge, venting to the outside, you would only smell gas inside the trailer if the pilot was not burning all the gas and you also had a leak around the fridge letting the unburned gas into the trailer. You should check the gas connections leading to the fridge, and your other gas connections for your other appliances as well, as it seems possible that you have a leak from something that is inside the trailer. If you only smell the gas when opening the fridge door, then a hole where the capillary tubes for the two thermostats enter the fridge is a place to check.

With normal operation I do not think you should smell any propane at all, except perhaps for a brief time when you are lighting the pilot.

You can check to see if your propane detector is working by running a butane lighter without flame under it. The detectors need to be replaced every few years.

Rick G

+1 and I might ad that your pilot should be an all blue flame, if there is any yellow in there you may need to clean your burner.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:32 PM   #27

Registry
Thanks for the thoughts, let me add to them.

Checked the LP detector which is new this season - and it works at a mere breath of propane! I also sprayed all of my connections anyway to ensure there wasn't a leak elsewhere - no bubbling.

Rick mentioned holes for tubes, I do have one open that I assumed was a drain hole. However, the strong pilot smell is regardless of the door being closed. and it usually was to keep the cold air in.

I did run a light behind the fridge and see that I have a slight gap along the trim, that could be allowing enough 'smell' in to the interior.

I didn't think of this before, and personally I can't see why it would matter - but I did end up needing a new thermocoupler. I picked one up at a small RV shop and it's a Dometic with the same fittings, but longer than the original. Can't see why it would matter, but it IS the only change I've made since I bought it. When it was bench tested I never noticed the smell - but it wasn't in close quarters either to really tell. Thoughts on whether this matters?
Old 08-14-2011, 09:20 AM   #28

Name: Sue & Gene
Trailer: 1989 Scamper 16ft
Illinois
Registry
Smile Venting

We made great use of the outside vent-it helps provide venting for the dorm size frig we have, and the A/C unit we installed recently, AND allows for the A/C unit to drain properly!
We also installed a 9 inch fan at the back/top of the cabinet the appliances sit in, and drilled holes in the sides of that same cabinet, to allow even more air movement! It has all worked like a dream!
Susanm34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:23 AM   #29

Name: Sue & Gene
Trailer: 1989 Scamper 16ft
Illinois
Registry
Photos

Ooops didnt get the photos included!
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0610.JPG   DSCN0612.JPG  

Susanm34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags