Fan in refrigerator - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2018, 08:58 AM   #1

Name: Henry
Trailer: Scamp 2017 16-ft SD / FB
Texas
Lightbulb Fan in refrigerator

Looking for info on the installation of a 12v muffin fan in 120/propane Scamp refrigerator.

I was reading in DoItYourself RV about getting better cooling with the addition of a 12v fan. This seem like a great idea to increase refrigerator temp but not freeze the food. In Texas it is hot, the temp stay around 39-40 degrees and freezer well let say the freezer not really that great.

If someone has completed this project need some guidance
and pic would be helpful.

Henry
Gattopuin64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:39 AM   #2

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
I got one of these and they claim it will run 30 days on a set of D batteries. Seems to help quite a bit.
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Interior.../CAM44123.html
Old 06-17-2018, 10:26 AM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16ft Scamp
Minnesota
fan

I have the same fan, it helps a ton and with the D cells it does run for a month. No wiring to worry about.
John
Old 06-17-2018, 10:51 AM   #4

Name: Roxanne
Minnesota
Newbie question coming your way...

Do you put this battery operated fan inside the refig itself?
MNDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 11:06 AM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNDreamer View Post
Do you put this battery operated fan inside the refig itself?
https://rvingwithmarkpolk.com/2016/0...r-tips-tricks/
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 11:17 AM   #6

Name: Tim
Trailer: Scamp 16' Deluxe side bath
Minnesota
fan

I use the same camco fan. Works great and batteries last a long time. The other fan mentioned here not so good. Went through 3 of those.
swenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 12:02 PM   #7

Name: Dano
Trailer: Winnebago
Florida
Curious, I am not a fiberglas guy - one of the things I noticed was the frig has 2 vents on it's back side - one low one high.

Since the heat exchange going on back there is essential, has anyone looked at ways to improve air flow?

Maybe a small exhaust fan (high) and maybe an intake (low)?
DanoFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 12:04 PM   #8

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanoFL View Post
Curious, I am not a fiberglas guy - one of the things I noticed was the frig has 2 vents on it's back side - one low onehigh.
One intake, one outgo. Sometimes the top vent is on the roof, sometimes its on the side . For some reason, the top vent is ALWAYS on the side in a pop-up tent camper .

BTW, I went cross country in a Winni when I was 20... but now its a fiberglass egg for me
Old 06-17-2018, 12:26 PM   #9

Name: mark
Trailer: ,Retro by Riverside RV
California
I use 2 of the Camco battery operated and last trip of 4.5 weeks still blowing and keeping the fridge 33_40f and freezer -3.
Mark
MK Evenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 12:37 PM   #10

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Curious, I am not a fiberglas guy - one of the things I noticed was the frig has 2 vents on it's back side - one low one high.

Since the heat exchange going on back there is essential, has anyone looked at ways to improve air flow?
Use of fans in the exterior fridge vents is not uncommon and it has nothing to do with being fiberglass or a sticky. The fans are a very good idea in hot weather.

I've had at least two units with factory installed fans and my Oliver has a switch on the panel for that fan.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:17 PM   #11

North Carolina
Quote:
Yes they have, and there has been A LOT written on the subject on the Internet over the years. One at a time, this thread is bringing up up all those suggestions again.

I’ll try to quickly outline them, but its from memory so I might miss something. If you need more detail, its available.

Absorption Fridge tips

Operation:
  • Level the fridge.
  • Park so the fridge side is not in the sun, or add a shade.
  • Open door as little as possible and for a short a time as possible (know where things are and dont go hunting).
  • Pre-cool the fridge and food that goes in it.
  • Pack the fridge roughly 50-75 percent full, and in a way that allows air to circulate around the food and the fins.
  • Propane is sometimes more effective than 120 volts. 12 volts is usually only to maintain the temp with the door closed while traveling and tow vehicle supplying power.
  • Have pressure checks done annual (the fridge uses a very small flame and is sensitive to improper regulator setting).

Modifications:
  • Add insulation to the box part of the fridge.
  • Use a small fan inside to move the air over the food and cooling fins. (Usually battery operated).
  • Use a fan or two to move over air over the evaporator and condenser, from the intake to the exhaust vents.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:23 PM   #12

North Carolina
There is another idea.. and I will be testing it in July...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J0WQ48A

Runs off 12 volts or 120.. should work well when I am mostly on the road. For longer stays I will fire up the big fridge in the camper.

Old 06-17-2018, 01:49 PM   #13

Name: Stephen
Tennessee
The permanent fix for fridge cooling is a 12 volt-powered thermostatically controlled exhaust fan mounted near the top vent to draw air through the system when the temperature rises above about 90F. If you use your fridge 24/7, an inspection will likely show it is heating up so much that the nearby woodwork is starting to burn.

It is criminal, that trailer manufacturers don't fix known problems like this that are clearly spelled out in the appliance installation manual. They think the average owner is too brain-dead to notice until it is too late for a warranty claim. Travesties like lack of fridge cooling make you wonder what else they have cut corners on? Until owners raise enough cain, this sort of thing will continue. Caveat emptor.

Propane refrigerators, on the whole, are very powerful. Mine generates TWO containers of ice cubes starting from OAT on a hot day in SIX hours without any foolishness of "pre-cooling". But my exhaust fan is running most of the time the fridge is on.
Stephen_Albers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 04:37 PM   #14

Name: t
Trailer: Phoenix
California
Quote:

Maybe a small exhaust fan (high) and maybe an intake (low)?
I had two 80mm computer box fans blowing out at the top when we had an adsorption fridge. No longer needed with a compressor fridge. One was on a 90°f fixed t-stat switch, the other on an adjustable that ended up being set at about 90°f. They were annoyingly loud, but they did improve the fridge's performance..
Old 06-24-2018, 09:08 AM   #15

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
There are two possible “Fans” for use in RV refrigerators. One very basic battery operated fan placed on a shelf inside your refrigerator. These cheap devices are available in RV stores and through Amazon.

If you go on Amazon and search for these fans for RV refrigerators you will find not only these but higher quality RV factory type 12 Volt DC hard wired fan units (often called muffin fans). These units are designed to cool the operating systems of refrigerators and also are found in some computers. Much information on these two types can be found on the Amazon website.

I purchase most if not all of my RV supplied through Amazon...excellent selection and prices...fast delivery.

Happy Camping
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator