Fan install for Trillium - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2013, 12:16 AM   #1

Name: Shelley
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Ontario
Fan install for Trillium

Hey Trillium Owners...got a question. I wanted to install one of those fantastic fans in my 1975 Trillium 1300. The RV dealer said it could not be done...any suggestions.
Shelley Brinacombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:37 AM   #2

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
The dealer is correct in that you cant just take the fantastic fan out of the box and put it into your trailer. If you do it will hang down low into the trailer. Part of the challenge is that a Fantastic Fan is designed to go into a traditional stick trailer roof. A stick trailer has a much thicker roof compared with your fiberglass trillium. As a result, you need to come up with some sort of spacer to lift the vent up and fill in the gap.

We recently had a really good discussion about installing the fantastic fan in a boler. You will probably find a lot of that discussion applies to you. There were a couple of very good solutions to this problem documented in that discussion, complete with photos.

Check out the Boler discussion here:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...all-56274.html
glamourpets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:07 AM   #3

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Your 1300 has a 9" vent opening. That is probably what the dealer has an issue with. Since the Fantastic fan requires a 14" opening, it will be necessary to cut a larger opening. This is intimidating for some.
Measure twice, cut once.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:29 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Your 1300 has a 9" vent opening. That is probably what the dealer has an issue with. Since the Fantastic fan requires a 14" opening, it will be necessary to cut a larger opening. This is intimidating for some.
Measure twice, cut once.
Didn't someone recently post a source for a 9" vent fan? Not a Fantastic fan, but maybe better than none.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:08 AM   #5

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
BrandonC showed me some pictures of his install. He used a large computer fan. I don't think he is done yet. Hopefully he updates this thread wheh he is finished.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rce-56547.html
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:51 PM   #6

Name: Ryan
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 16- side bath
Virginia
I've found the fiberglass is ally easy to cut. Many types of tools will do the job just fine. For a slow and calculated/accurate cut I've found the oscillating tools work very well- I have a Drexel multimax. Just make sure to carefully mark out the new cuts, I prefer blue/green painters tape as it give you a nice defined edge compared to a pencil line, plus if protects the surrounding fiberglass should your cutting edge slip a little. I run a shop vac directly under the path of the falling fiberglass dust, and wear proper clothing and lung/eye protection.

Check out this Maxxair fan I found one for significantly cheaper than in this link.....
http://www.amazon.com/Maxxair-00-051...ds=maxxair+fan

Mine only drops below the interior of the ceiling by about 3/4" and I did not have to build up a structure above the roofline. I only had to create a thin 1/2" spacer for the interior perimeter of the mounting flange. I'm super happy with the fan so far, it can stay open in the rain with its integrated vent/cover. It has something like 10 speed settings or so.
Ryan P R is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium