Fan-Tastic Vent Installation - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2016, 08:46 PM   #1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Fan-Tastic Vent Installation

So here we go..

I decided I wanted a fan-tastic vent and I was concerned about head clearance. The vent would stick down into the space my head usually goes so I was thinking a spacer would work.. Looked at a few videos etc for some ideas.

Oh and I also want to put the Fan-tastic hood over the vent so I can run in when it's raining

Here is what I am doing right now..

I bought some plywood. 3/4" and they had a piece 24"x48" which I cut in half..
Then I measured the 14"x14" space for the vent to fit into.. I also measured the size of the vent cover. So I wound up with a spacer 1.5" thick and the same size and shape as the vent cover..

I measured on one of the pieces and screwed the two together so that when I made the cuts I was only cutting once.. The screws were placed so that they would not get in the way of the cutting or the installation later..

Once I had that cut out I pulled the screws long enough to coat the inside with Fibreglass resin then screwed them back together and liberally coated the whole thing with the resin.. I tinted the resin white just for kicks.

This is as far as I got today.. The plan is to remove the existing vent.. using the existing holes use 1" stainless screw from inside to attach the vent spacer with butyl tape for sealing it.. Then using butyl tape again attach the vent/fan from the top into the spacer and then the cover

Pics so far...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2126 (Medium).JPG   IMG_2127 (Medium).JPG  

IMG_2128 (Medium).JPG   IMG_2129 (Medium).JPG  

IMG_2131 (Medium).JPG   IMG_2132 (Medium).JPG  

IMG_2134 (Medium).JPG   IMG_2137 (Medium).JPG  

IMG_2140 (Medium).JPG   IMG_2141 (Medium).JPG  

Wizard765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:50 PM   #2

Ontario
Ok why is it that my pics are right side up on my computer and on my iPhone but when I upload them they sideways? How can I fix that?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2144 (Medium).JPG   IMG_2145 (Medium).JPG  

IMG_2147 (Medium).JPG  
Old 10-05-2016, 08:52 PM   #3

Ontario
So with this spacer I believe the controls etc will be flush with the ceiling allowing me to walk around without damaging my noggin..
Old 10-06-2016, 06:57 PM   #4

Name: Jennifer
Nova Scotia
This is what I want to do with mine, eventually. Two questions...
What did you use to tint the resin? (Great idea)
Did you consider a maxx air vent?

Keep the pictures coming!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Jennygdeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 07:09 AM   #5

Ontario
Yes Jenny:

I looked at both and it appears they are the only two players in the market..

In my case I know a couple of people with Fan-tastic vents so was able to see them working..
I also had a question or two so contacted Fan-tastic AND Maxxair.. Fan-tastic got back to me with helpful answers right away.. Maxxair never got back to me at all.. I have been reading that the customer service from Fan-tastic is .... well .... Fantastic.. I also think the Fan-tastic might move a little more air..

Where I bought the fibreglass resin they had the tint for it.. could have got almost any prime colour..

Wayne