Fanless Furnace? - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-03-2008, 05:07 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 13 ft Scamp
Somebody recently noted that there's a furnace available that doesn't require a blower. I think I'd be interested in that product, as the constant cycling of the factory-installed furnace in my '08 Scamp 13 tends to keep me awake.

Can somebody provide a reference? I'm not interested in catalytic or and free-standing unit; I want to replace the built-in unit I've got with a quieter one.

Thanks,

Jeff
WI

Old 12-03-2008, 05:25 PM   #2

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I don't know of any that are currently in production (although I'd love it if this were wrong and someone piped in with a new model available in stores), so you have to find a used one.

Seems that quite a few tent campers had them (in the smaller sizes we need), so if you have an RV parts place/junkyard you can go to, you might score there.

I think they're fantastic (so to speak ), and I don't quite understand why they aren't made any more.

Raya

Old 12-03-2008, 05:33 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
The current vented RV furnaces are loaded with safety cutoffs, one of which is the blower throughput (Sail switch) -- Obviously the makers decided to go that way on vented furnaces -- Market? Safety? Who knows...
Old 12-03-2008, 07:37 PM   #4

Name: Daniel
Trailer: '74 Trillium 1300
-
Like Raya we also really like ours and can't understand why they don't make them anymore. They are not very complex, either, so I'd imagine they should be fairly durable.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:19 PM   #5

Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia
I had one in a 17 ft Boler which i have since sold. That was the best furnace i ever had. No power draw and gave good heat.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:07 PM   #6

Trailer: 2008 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Like Raya we also really like ours and can't understand why they don't make them anymore. They are not very complex, either, so I'd imagine they should be fairly durable.
Right, besides eliminating fan noise, a heater w/o a blower would save on the battery.

JP
Old 12-03-2008, 10:51 PM   #7

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft / 4 cyl Tacoma
I had one in my Class C motorhome in the 70s. I think it was a Suburban or an Atwood... can't remember which. It was the same as the blower furnace without the blower and thus almost no battery draw. the Blower was an option. Sure wsth I could get one for my Casita. That furnace really draws down the single battery on a cold night.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:49 AM   #8

Trailer: Two 13 ft Bolers and one 17 ft Boler
Quote:
Somebody recently noted that there's a furnace available that doesn't require a blower. I think I'd be interested in that product, as the constant cycling of the factory-installed furnace in my '08 Scamp 13 tends to keep me awake.

Can somebody provide a reference? I'm not interested in catalytic or and free-standing unit; I want to replace the built-in unit I've got with a quieter one.

Thanks,

Jeff
WI

Here is the Suburban model that is in my 1976 Boler.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:18 AM   #9

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft / 4 cyl Tacoma
Kevin61,
Great videos. Thanks. That looks just like the furnace that was in my Class C Diamond motorhome, so it must have been a Suburban. Wonder why they quit making them?
Lon
Old 12-04-2008, 10:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Here is the Suburban model that is in my 1976 Boler.
I posted a "wanted" ad here a short time ago looking for a furnace like that for my Boler and suddenly it seems that everyone is flaunting theirs!

Actually, Kevin, I wanted to thank you (now that I realize it's you) for posting that video of how to remove the dinette jalousie windows from a Boler. That's going to be a great help! (Now I just need to figure out how to do the same for the small jalousies -- I posted a query in a different thread.)

It is so annoying that they stopped making these furnaces. "Progress"
Old 12-11-2008, 05:13 AM   #11

Name: Cory
Trailer: Decrepit Canoe
British Columbia
Quote:

Thanks,

Jeff
WI
Don't know if THIS is the one you were thinking of.

Name:   heaters_newportP.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  10.2 KB

That is the one I WAS going to install until I discovered THIS.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sardine1.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	17142

Anyways, here's the link for the top one.

http://www.dickinsonmarine.com/propheaters.html

Good luck.

Peace!

P.S. If you read the manual, it says that use of the fan is optional.

Later.
Old 12-20-2008, 03:02 PM   #12

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 13 ft / 1999 Toyota Tacoma
Jeff,

I had the same problem you had, the battery would not last long.

I put in a Catalytic heater, but it was not enough for winter camping.

Then I found this:

The Force 10 Cozy Cabin Marine Heater

here is the link:

http://www.force10.com/heaters/index2.html

Works great, no fan, Piezo Ignition, has an oxygen sensor to shut off if O2 is below 96% of normal

heats great---photo of it installed in my Scamperooie 13

Good Luck

Garo

Attached Thumbnails
Scamp_Force_10_Heater_002.JPG  
Old 12-20-2008, 04:07 PM   #13

That looks nice, Gary

Also, do I see something custom going on with your dinette bench and floor in the photo? Could we please see or hear more about it? Looks very interesting!

A couple of quick notes on the propane Cozy Cabin:

1) If you get one, do check over the joints and such for leaks and problems, or near-problems. I know of two (boat) people who have had to make minor repairs on the units as they came new.

This isn't a "dis" on Force 10, as I've had and used products of theirs for years. Just know that this is one of their most "economical" products, and, as such, I don't know if the ultimate in quality control is there when they are made. They are simple though, and there's probably nothing that can't be tweaked/repaired, if necessary.

2) They're not "direct vent" (some of their other heaters are), so the flame is basically open to the cabin, and they do not use outside air for combustion unnless you rig up something custom.

Again, nothing against Force 10, or against Gary's choice; just adding to the info. pool

Raya
Old 12-20-2008, 05:14 PM   #14

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 13 ft / 1999 Toyota Tacoma
Raya,

When the heater got delivered, I checked the connections and found them all tight.

This has been the second season for this heater, and the vent pipe I changed from a straight piece of alum tubing to a piece of fin tube from an electric baseboard heater. The heat recapture works well.

As to the open flame, yes that is something to be considered.

I lowered the heater to the floor level because of the open flame, every time my fat yellow lab stepped up into or out of the trailer, there was a slight oder of singed hair.

If I had to do it over again, I might have gone to the other Force 10 heater on the website.

This one works well, it was about 10 below zero a few days here and the trailer had been winterized when an unexpected guest needed a place to sleep. Just went out fired up the Force 10 and in less than a half hour it was 70 degrees, on high setting. He slept with it on low, keeping it about 60.

But all things considered, with attention to keeping the window in the door open about 3/8 of an inch, and the roof vent open about the same, this little heater works great. It is dryheat, there are no hotspots like I had when the Cat heater was in there.

And yes, the was a complete interior and outside remodel done two winters ago, and we are very happy with the change. But there are still things to be done yet....LED lighting, and perhaps a radio /cd player.

Garo

Tags
furnace