Fantastic Fan in Scamp Escape Hatch - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-09-2016, 04:32 PM   #15

Name: Linda
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 16 ft, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Minnesota
Fan-Tastic has a 12 volt portable fan, 14 x 14. I am considering trying to come up with a bracket set up to be able to use it on my escape hatch or countertop. At 4 pounds, seems like the hatch should be able to support it.

Old 02-13-2016, 07:28 AM   #16

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 13
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusedlight View Post
Yeh, I know I can cut a new hole in the roof, but that already-there opening is enticing, considering that as an escape hatch, it's kind of dumb. As in "what sort of condition would actually make that the only way out?" I suppose if a Mighty Wind blew the trailer on its door I would need it.

Or, more likely, a tree limb fell against the door. Seen that happen. Without someone outside to cut/move the limb, a usable escape hatch is welcome. Could always break windows, but then you have repairs to contend with. A usable second exit seems like a desirable feature.

Old 02-13-2016, 07:10 PM   #17

Name: Danny
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
Or, more likely, a tree limb fell against the door. Seen that happen. A usable second exit seems like a desirable feature.
OK, I am certainly NOT a Statistician.....but I bet money that if you have "seen that happen" you are safe from EVER having to experience that again in your Lifetime.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:31 PM   #18

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
A point of having both a Fantastic Fan and a vent on the roof is you don't need to open the curtains/blinds and a window to get good ventilation. Many people like to sleep in the dark-dark. To be effective for ventilation using an electric fan, you need to have a window open and it's even better if not blocked by curtains or blinds. Open the roof vent, turn the fan on exhaust and you'll get lots of fresh air.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 07:55 PM   #19

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
Or, more likely, a tree limb fell against the door. Seen that happen. Without someone outside to cut/move the limb, a usable escape hatch is welcome. Could always break windows, but then you have repairs to contend with. A usable second exit seems like a desirable feature.
On many Scamps there is also the rear window- both window and screen slide out of the way. It would take a reasonably agile person to get out that way, but so would the escape hatch. I can be pretty agile, given the proper motivationů

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughingindian View Post
OK, I am certainly NOT a Statistician.....but I bet money that if you have "seen that happen" you are safe from EVER having to experience that again in your Lifetime.
You're exactly as safe as you were before you saw it happen the first time.

Which is safe enough for me!
Old 04-13-2016, 07:50 AM   #20

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
I'll be replacing the standard rear window in our '91 Scamp with the slider and filling the escape hatch hole with the vent fan to assist in ventilation.

Tags
scamp