Fantastic Fan Install - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2013, 09:45 PM   #61

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otters View Post
Thanks for mentioning that one Donna.
If the electricity is "right there" why not have some ambient light?
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:03 PM   #62

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Steve you did a Great Job! Little scary Im sure making that first cut into the roof, but well worth it for that fan!

deryk
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:04 AM   #63

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
Nice job steve and a great way to skin the cat.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:00 PM   #64

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Final follow-up,
Today I finished my Fantastic Fan installation. The crank up knob to raise the hatch ended up almost flush with the ceiling. the face of the fan screen sits up in the inside trim ring about an inch. Nothing to bump your head on. Before installing the fan I installed the 10 ohm 10 watt resistor mod as recomended by Fantastic fan. I installed it on the white wire where it plugs into the fan reversal switch. I also installed a push on, push off switch routed to bypass this resistor. Switch on, the ground runs straight to the reversal switch. Push off, and the ground runs through the resistor to the reversal switch thus slowing the fan speed. This will give you six possible fan speeds in both forward and reverse. There are write-ups on this site where I got the origional information. Credit goes to those authors who blazed the trail before me. This mod works extremely well and should have been standard on these fans.
Thank you for all the kind words you have given me and the contributions of this forum members who set me on the right path.
Steve
Attached Thumbnails
DCP02080.JPG   DCP02081.JPG  

stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:13 PM   #65

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I now have a new plan.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:30 PM   #66

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
I love it when a plan comes together! Congrats Steve on the great job and innovative thinking. I went to Tap Plastics today since there's one in my town. I'm having them fabricate a spacer out of the Starboard product Derek recommended. It'll be ready on Thurs. I'm going to use about 80 lb of butyl tape just be on the safe side. It won't leak, but it may cave in the roof. Yikes!!
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:17 AM   #67

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Since you will have to pay for the large piece of plastic make sure you get the center cutouts they make a great cuting board.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:38 AM   #68

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
Since you will have to pay for the large piece of plastic make sure you get the center cutouts they make a great cuting board.
Good suggestion. I'll be sure to do that.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:59 AM   #69

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Really nice install!!!! If I had to do mine over, fiberglass tube would definitely be my choice over polyethylene. I'm still unclear exactly how you placed the cloth when bonding the tubes. Probably need to check it out again when I haven't been staring at a computer all day.

I love the led strip on in fan idea. I've been using a strip in the sleeping area and I love the colors brightness adjustment. Eventually I'll probably upgrade to a multi channel controller and install various strips, now I think a strip inside the lifted area above my wood trim would be a great spot for one.
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote