Fantastic Fan Install & Heater Repair - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-14-2011, 04:39 PM   #15

Name: Barry
Trailer: 1993 13 ft Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Thanks for the info & the photos Carol . Now I feel good about putting the fan near the vent. We like to have a breeze when we are sleeping.

I am going to order the 6000 model from the place Emily got hers from. I like the white cover. We thought the rain sensor model would be a good idea too... the extra price isn't cool ($209 comparable to the 400 model $139) but I like to keep things aired out. I would try to keep the battery charged up.

Thanks for all the information about this. I'm sure I will have other questions once it's here

Happy Valentines Day ladies!!

Old 02-14-2011, 05:24 PM   #16

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft (Fluffer-Nugget)
Registry
Your Welcome!
I know you will enjoy your vent/fan
Happy Valentines Day to you too!

Old 02-14-2011, 09:31 PM   #17

Name: Marv
Trailer: Escape 5.0 (sold) :(
Texas
The Fantastic company recognizes that, even on low speed, the fan sometimes moves too much air for our small trailers. They will send you (free) a resistor to cut the speed. IIRC, it is 4-ohm, 10-watt and seems to cut the airflow to about 50 percent of original. Makes all three speeds useable.

Marv
Old 02-14-2011, 10:05 PM   #18

Minnesota
Registry
Thanks Marv, would I ask Fantastic for the resistor or the company at where I am buying it from? Thanks again for the tip!
Old 02-14-2011, 10:18 PM   #19

Name: Marv
Trailer: Escape 5.0 (sold) :(
Texas
Call Fantastic (800-521-0298). They have a super customer service department. Another thing, you know that X-shaped knob that opens the cover? They will give you a low-profile replacement that will give you an extra inch or so of headroom if you need it.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:46 AM   #20

Minnesota
Registry
I called Scamp & they mentioned if the place I ordered the fan from didn't have the low profile knob & resistor... they would send me them.

I will be getting our Scamp out of storage in early April & will install the new fan then

I have a youtube video of our scamp. You will see the rat fur needs to be re-glued. I used the 3M 77 spray glue but I think the higher 3M.. I think it's 3M 90 will be used when I do the fan project.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:09 PM   #21

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryra View Post
We thought the rain sensor model would be a good idea too... the extra price isn't cool ($209 comparable to the 400 model $139) but I like to keep things aired out.
If you get a MaxxFan instead of a Fantastic, it has a built in rain cover so you can leave it open in the rain without needing rain sensors that may malfunction in the future. I paid $150 for the 3 speed version. It is also more aerodynamic than a Fantastic fan when traveling down the road.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:33 PM   #22

Minnesota
Registry
Thanks for the idea Andy, I better stick with the Fantastic. I like how they have a good customer service dept & I have heard a lot good things.

Thanks again everyone for all your help with this! It would be fun to meet at a campground & I could try out our new dutch oven & make you supper.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:59 AM   #23

Trailer: 16 Scamp, 17 Casita, 21Bigfoot now
Registry
You can also get a Maxx fan cover to put over the FF and leave it open even in the rain.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:23 AM   #24

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Z View Post
You can also get a Maxx fan cover to put over the FF and leave it open even in the rain.
I think I read somewhere that the Aeroflow vent cover will work too and it's a bit less expensive.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:40 PM   #25

Minnesota
Registry
I ordered the Fantastic fan from the place Emily mentioned... that place was easy to deal with. Thank you. My wife thinks I am may have cabin fever... doing all this research on a fan for the camper. ;-)
Old 02-19-2011, 10:31 PM   #26

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryra View Post
I ordered the Fantastic fan from the place Emily mentioned... that place was easy to deal with. Thank you. My wife thinks I am may have cabin fever... doing all this research on a fan for the camper. ;-)
I too did a bunch a research before choosing the Fantastic fan....Who would have thought that picking a fan could be so complicated!

Happy to hear that Vintage was easy to deal with, I'd hate to recommend a place and then the person have a bad experience with them.

Can't wait to see the pictures of your newly installed fan/vent!

Cheers! Emily