Fantastic Fan Install & Heater Repair - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2011, 09:45 PM   #1

Trailer: 1993 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Fantastic Fan Install & Heater Repair

I am getting exited about getting our Scamp out of storage in early April & we are wanting a Fantastic fan installed to replace the vent/escape in the ceiling. We also need our heater repaired. I am pretty sure the butterfly switch needs adjustment.

I guess I could call Scamp & ask what this may cost but was wondering if anyone here has had work similar to this done on their used Scamp.

Also... is there a particular model Fantastic fan that you like more than another?

Thank you in advance
barryra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:03 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Barry I do not think you will find a Fantastic Fan that will fit in the large hole left by the Scamp vent/escape hatch. I like most others have left the original vent in place and put a Fantastic Fan in either forward of it or aft of it. Its not hard to install the fan - there are lots of posts here that show how its done. I have the basic Fantastic Fan but in hindsight the one with the rain sensor would have been a nice option.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:11 PM   #3

Registry
I called Scamp today & Michah said the Fantastic fan is $145 & it is $135 to install & I forgot to ask if that was the rain sensor model. I think I will try to do it myself.

Thanks Carol... I will add another hole & leave the other vent. is it hard to hide the wires?

I live about 1 1/2 hours from Backus where Scamp is so I still will have them put in a new ice box fridge & fix the heater.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:59 PM   #4

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I installed my Fantastic Fan over the table/bed area so I would have a little breeze on warm nights. It's to much trouble and expense to mount it in the escape hatch area.
My fan is the 3 speed with reverse and I'm very satisfied with it.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:51 PM   #5

Registry
I already had a light over the table and that is were I cu the hole to put the fan so I just used what had been the lights wires for the fan - simple. I also like having the breeze on warm nights - actually havent used the portable ac I have since putting the Fantastic Fan in. BTW if the price that Scamp gave you for installing the fan included the fan that is actually a pretty good deal.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:58 PM   #6

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft (Fluffer-Nugget)
Registry
I just added a Fantastic Vent/Fan to my Trillium. I bought mine through Vintage Trailer Supply because they offered the 4000R model (three speeds, reverse and manual crank) with a white dome cover instead of the smoked colour and a shorter crank handle for lower roof heights. I paid $139 for it and that was the cheapest that I could find. I was very happy with Vintages shipping, it was out of their warehouse the next day and I received it in less than two weeks. The intall was very easy once we found a good method for cutting the fiberglass and the product looks good! I like the white dome with the lighter colour trailer. Good luck with yours! Emily
Attached Thumbnails
011.JPG   013.JPG  

002.JPG   003.JPG  

Emily R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:15 PM   #7

Registry
The escape/vent is above & right on the edge of the table/bed. So do people put it above the bed when there is another vent so close?

Thanks Emily!! I have seen only black covers. Great photos... I wonder if I should get the model with the rain sensor.. it would at least give me peace of mind if I were to leave the vent open while I was out hiking or in town.

When you cut the roof.... do you go right through the fabric in the camper?
Old 02-12-2011, 08:40 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryra View Post
Thanks Emily!! I have seen only black covers. Great photos... I wonder if I should get the model with the rain sensor.. it would at least give me peace of mind if I were to leave the vent open while I was out hiking or in town.

When you cut the roof.... do you go right through the fabric in the camper?
I meant to ad the link in my last post....Yes you can get the rain sensor model with the shorter crank and the white dome....Vintage Trailer Supply have all the Fantastic Vent models. Fan-Tastic Fan Vent

I realize you don't have a vent to remove but in our case we did, so once the vent was removed we trimmed back the insolite to just past where our roof cut was going to be. You don't have to be too exacting as there is a 1.5" beauty ring that covers the gap between the vent and the insolite.
It wasn't too difficult to do, just very dusty!
Attached Thumbnails
001.JPG   004.JPG  

005.JPG  
Old 02-12-2011, 09:26 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryra View Post
is it hard to hide the wires?
Because your Scamp has rat fur, you can fish the wire between the fiberglass and the insulation. The wires won't even be noticable that way. Lots of folks have done it.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:08 PM   #10

Registry
I actually ended up cutting a slice in the ensolite and tucking the wire in and then regluing the ensolite. It's not perfect so I'm thinking I will use some paintable caulking on the seam to improve the look.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:39 AM   #11

Registry
"When you cut the roof.... do you go right through the fabric in the camper?"

Barry yes you do but you should go to the inside and cut a hole into the fabric that is much smaller than the fan and then just pull the rest of the fabric away from the roof while you cut into the fiberglass. That way you have enough fabric to tuck in under the trim to make it all neat and tidy. If you cut to much fabric away you will have a problem. Once you have the fiberglass hole cut and the fan fitted into it you can cut away the the fabric you do not need and use a 3M spray to tack the fabric back up onto the roof before installing the trim.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:50 AM   #12

Registry
Barry wrote "The escape/vent is above & right on the edge of the table/bed. So do people put it above the bed when there is another vent so close?"

I did and I have seen lots of others the same way. Below is a photo of how I set mine. Note I found my fan on sale - under $100 - on a trip south but did not know they made one with a thin profile at the time so it hangs down into the trailer about a inch with the trim. Not an issue as its over the bed area. I ended up trimming it to match the escape hatch.
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp fans 2009 small.jpg  
Old 02-13-2011, 11:53 AM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily R. View Post
I just added a Fantastic Vent/Fan to my Trillium.

Nice job Emily!
Old 02-13-2011, 12:44 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Nice job Emily!
Thanks!
Working on the trailer is always fun....Especially when you have a helper!
Old 02-14-2011, 04:39 PM   #15

Registry
Thanks for the info & the photos Carol . Now I feel good about putting the fan near the vent. We like to have a breeze when we are sleeping.

I am going to order the 6000 model from the place Emily got hers from. I like the white cover. We thought the rain sensor model would be a good idea too... the extra price isn't cool ($209 comparable to the 400 model $139) but I like to keep things aired out. I would try to keep the battery charged up.

Thanks for all the information about this. I'm sure I will have other questions once it's here

Happy Valentines Day ladies!!
Old 02-14-2011, 05:24 PM   #16

Registry
Your Welcome!
I know you will enjoy your vent/fan
Happy Valentines Day to you too!
Old 02-14-2011, 09:31 PM   #17

Trailer: Casita
The Fantastic company recognizes that, even on low speed, the fan sometimes moves too much air for our small trailers. They will send you (free) a resistor to cut the speed. IIRC, it is 4-ohm, 10-watt and seems to cut the airflow to about 50 percent of original. Makes all three speeds useable.

Marv
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:05 PM   #18

Registry
Thanks Marv, would I ask Fantastic for the resistor or the company at where I am buying it from? Thanks again for the tip!
Old 02-14-2011, 10:18 PM   #19

Trailer: Casita
Call Fantastic (800-521-0298). They have a super customer service department. Another thing, you know that X-shaped knob that opens the cover? They will give you a low-profile replacement that will give you an extra inch or so of headroom if you need it.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:46 AM   #20

Registry
I called Scamp & they mentioned if the place I ordered the fan from didn't have the low profile knob & resistor... they would send me them.

I will be getting our Scamp out of storage in early April & will install the new fan then

I have a youtube video of our scamp. You will see the rat fur needs to be re-glued. I used the 3M 77 spray glue but I think the higher 3M.. I think it's 3M 90 will be used when I do the fan project.