Fantastic Fan install by factory. - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-22-2016, 08:39 AM   #1

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 13
None
Fantastic Fan install by factory.

Just got off the phone with Scamp. I have an appointment to stop by the factory on my way back to Michigan from Fargo, ND. 8AM on Sept 19th they will install a Fantastic Fan and the new door weatherstrip. Said it should take about 2 hours.

Will be glad to have the fan, since the closet mount air conditioner is only partially effective. Planning a trip down to Florida in Feb of next year.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:42 AM   #2

Trailer: 16 Scamp, 17 Casita, 21Bigfoot now
Registry
Make sure it is reversible. You will like it. Never bothered to use the thermostat on mine and never had the rain sensor. You might consider the shield that goes over it but beware some cut down on airflow. The one on FF site should be the one if you want.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:49 AM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
...they will install a Fantastic Fan an...

Will be glad to have the fan, since the closet mount air conditioner is only partially effective. Planning a trip down to Florida in Feb of next year.
There is a new model that has a built in rain cover but I cannot imagine that Scamp would offer it as an option. So if you get the original fan at Scamp I would think you would want to also buy the (larger) rain rain cover for it. Being able to vent the trailer in the rain is great! The new model might be a better option but I have no personal knowledge about it. MaxxAir is another option for DIYers.

Also if you boondock you might want to consider a different fan, or modifying the FF so it takes less power. The FF uses resisters to slow the fan on lower speeds and that is just a waste of power. I am waiting on delivery of a PWM motor speed controller (from China) that I might well install on the FF. Infinite speed control with less power waste.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:51 PM   #4

Name: Wayne & Barbara
Trailer: Parkliner
Iowa
Quote:
Just got off the phone with Scamp. I have an appointment to stop by the factory on my way back to Michigan from Fargo, ND. 8AM on Sept 19th they will install a Fantastic Fan and the new door weatherstrip. Said it should take about 2 hours.

Before you get a Fantastic Fan, ask if it is the MaXX Fan, which can be left open in the rain.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:36 PM   #5

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
A bit of confusion there. Fantastic Fans and MaxxAir fans come from separate companies. Both excellent but the Maxxfan is newer and more versatile.

Walt
Old 08-22-2016, 06:47 PM   #6

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
A bit of confusion there. Fantastic Fans and MaxxAir fans come from separate companies. Both excellent but the Maxxfan is newer and more versatile.

Walt
Over simplification.

There are many models from both companies (including the new model from Fantastic Vent Co, AKA Fantastic Fan, AKA a division of Atwood Mobile Products), that I linked to, and that seems to be a direct competitor to the MaxxFan offering. And there are covers and accessories available also. So a simple statement that one is newer and more versatile than the other might be correct but it depends on the different manufacturer's models you are talking about.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:51 PM   #7

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Thanks for the update. Glad to see Fantastic is responding to the competition. It has always been an unusually good company to deal with.

Walt
Old 09-21-2016, 06:30 AM   #8

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 13
None
Well, I got home from my trip to North Dakota yesterday, just under 3000 miles. No significant problems. The hubs on the new axle were spewing some grease when they warmed up, had to wipe it off the wheel several times. When I got to Backus, I asked them to check it out. Also, I made the mistake of washing my door curtain by swishing it in some mild soapy water - it shredded!

I had changed the appointment date to the 14th, on the way out to ND instead of on the way home.

When at the factory, they checked out the wheel hub and just decided that it had too much grease, and what was spewing out was just from the hub cover. said the seals were all intact, so they cleaned out the hub - no further problems on the way home.

They also installed the fantastic fan and new door seal. Took 15 minutes longer than they estimated when I made the appointment. When they gave me the invoice, it was about $25 BELOW the lowest cost estimate. They charged nothing for checking and cleaning the wheel hub, and they did not charge for a new door curtain. All in all, another GREAT Scamp service experience. Was also fun to see the factory and get to look through the new trailers waiting for their owners to pick them up.

When we pulled around back to the service bay, I was surprised to see a completely gutted Airstream parked outside. When they finished with the work on my trailer, the service tech said the Airstream was his next project - they are completely refurbishing the interior - it is just the shell now. I didn't realize they would work on any make of trailer - but the tech said yeah, they do a lot of work on non-Scamps. Interesting.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:18 AM   #9

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
That sounds like a very productive visit.
Quote:
...- but the tech said yeah, they do a lot of work on non-Scamps. Interesting.
Yes, interesting, it suggests that they know other brands well, which is always a good thing.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:37 AM   #10

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
The grease "spewing" is normal for the excess grease to be pushed out of the hub.
The EZ Lube works this way normally.
When you grease per the instructions the bearings will be over greased resulting in them making room when traveling for the first few times.
If you wipe out the excess around and under the rubber it will be less.
They will also run a little hotter as well until the excess is expelled. Aslo normal.
A bearing with the non EZ Lube hubs if over greased will also run hotter and expel the grease usually past the seals. Maybe the out board (no problem) or the inboard (possible problem with contaminating the brakes)