Fantastic Fan Vs. Maxxfan - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-13-2018, 10:06 PM   #21

Name: Orlen
Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Colorado
Maxxfan is a good product until something fails. Then the real problems begin.

I have two Maxxfans on my EggCamper. One is the old three-speed model (installed in 2008) and the other is the ten-speed model (installed in 2011). The three-speed model has a very basic speed control consisting of a rotary switch and series resistors. It has been plugging along now for ten years with no problems (well, a large hailstone did manage to break the cover a few years ago). The ten-speed model control circuitry is much more complex, a circuit board with integrated circuits, surface mount components, relays and various regulators. It is connected to a membrane keypad via a flex cable.

Problems (and maybe solutions):

1. Before you install a new Maxxfan put conformal coating on the control board. It is mounted in an area where at least a few drops of water could get on it and, if there is any contaminant in the water such as highway de-icer, you will soon have major corrosion problems.

I'm on my third control board on the 10-speed model. The first replacement was ordered in January of 2014 without incident - a short call to Maxxair, the usual exchange of part number/serial number, mailing address and of course a credit card number and a replacement part arrived in three days. Since then there have been changes in Maxxair's parts sale policy. In July of this year the replacement control board failed. That's when I found out about the next problem.

2. Maxxair will no longer sell parts directly to consumers. They now operate under Airxcel RV Group and corporate policy is to only sell through distributers. If you call them (and eventually get through to a live person) all they do is verify the part number and give you the 800 number for a distributer. The distributer will only sell to a dealer - they will give you a list of dealers who have accounts with them. In my case the closest dealer on the distributer's account list is Camping World - under a mile from my home. Camping World's parts department couldn't figure out how to order the part and even told me they didn't have an account with the listed distributer. Icalled the distributer and found out that the account was with Camping World's OEM division, the portion of CW that sells new campers/motor homes and handles warranty repairs. I was able to convince the OEM division to order the part and finally received the new control board on October 10th (it was ordered in mid-July). The final insult was over $25 in "shipping charges" on the order (an item that only weighs a few ounces) - shipping from Airxcel RV Group to the distributer, from the distributer to Camping World OEM and a processing fee by the Camping World parts department, the folks who said they didn't know how to order the part.

The Maxxfan is the best unit I have found on the market but, if anything fails on it, you might as well just throw the whole thing in the trash and order a new unit unless you are willing to spend a lot of time on the phone trying to find a source for the replacement part.

BTW - Airxcel now owns just about every major RV appliance line including Coleman ACs and Dometic RV refrigerators and their parts sales policy is the same for all so whatever you buy you probably won't be able to get replacement parts. The folks at Camping World parts department told me the only parts they can get are "cosmetic" items such as covers, knobs, trim etc.

Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 10:13 PM   #22

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
ugh, I hate this conglomeration of formerly excellent small companies. the beancounter types who run the big conglomerate, first thing they whack is customer service.

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:10 AM   #23

Name: Gerry
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1300 / 1991 Casita Freedom Deluxe
Maine
After reading you #2 problem I have to agree, with Orlen, that just buying a new unit is better then dealing with all the crap.
I've had issues with the local Camper World and refused for the longest time to shop there but recently they have changed their staff and the service is a bit better.
I have decided that I am going with the basic 4 speed manual model and hopefully less problems with the less circuitry to go wrong.

As said I could use the extra money to go into other things the Casita may need to perhaps put up for sale in the spring at the Spring Fling Rally.
I will keep the Boler.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 10:14 AM   #24

Name: Bob
Trailer: Bigfoot 17G
Oregon
You can lock the Maxxfan in any position so that the lid doesn't move. So, you can drive with the Maxxfan fully open and solid.

It has always been my understanding that it is safe to drive with the Fantastic vent open so long as it is open all the way. I also find it annoying that the Fantastic vent lid does not move smoothly in the downward direction.
bobblangley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 10:18 AM   #25

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Defending Scamp seems like a full time job for you Floyd.
Actually Scamp provides their trailers with Maxxfans.

Do three laughy faces mean your just kidding?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 10:32 AM   #26

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post

Do three laughy faces mean your just kidding?

Yup.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:54 AM   #27

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I see a "three speed roof fan" as an option on all the Scamp trailers, all sizes. No brand listed.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 12:14 PM   #28

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I see a "three speed roof fan" as an option on all the Scamp trailers, all sizes. No brand listed.
Nonetheless...

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote