Fantastic Vents X series (clamp on) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2013, 03:07 PM   #1

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
Fantastic Vents X series (clamp on)

Has anyone heard or have the clamp on FV? I called FV and they said with a Boler I needed the clamp on series which starts with X like the X4000r or the X6000 rvt. I can not find anything on this. I just got off the phone of the over priced Camping World and the same goes from them.
ShawnKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:02 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
order assembly. (*Model numbers beginning with X on motor label designates clamp fan).
Well I just went through the entire catalog after Googling the above that says X is for clamp fan.
Now is it a window fan that clamps on the side? I dont know how you could clamp to the top.
I am curious too.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:18 PM   #3

Florida
No, it is the same unit that goes on top but as I unerstand it does not use screws it is clamps because the top is so thin. I Google it and came up with nothing. I called a couple of stores and they have no idea. FV was closed when I called back so..... I told FV what I had and they told me what I needed but no one knows what I am talking about and I need all the head room I can keep in the (Boiler). I am 6ft3 but I don't feel bad but if it takes away anymore room I don't want it. I need my Boler back so I can put in a A/C!!!!!
Old 04-29-2013, 04:34 PM   #4

Texas
I will wait for your reply. I like the clamp on idea with no rivet holes on top. Surprised that the FV catalog or whats new for FV doesnt even mention it. The idea of not having to monkey around with trim rings and adaptors is very appealing. Cant wait for your response when you get more data.
Thanks
If you Rest, You Rust
Old 04-29-2013, 05:30 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Is this it on page 3?

http://www.fantasticvent.com/faq/kno.../OEM%20cat.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
FF_Clamping.JPG  
Old 04-29-2013, 05:51 PM   #6

Florida
Tom, that says 2007-2008. I would think others her and the B&M stores would know that by know. I haven't seen it on Google. So you got me. I like the idea but if it just that a idea it is not much good without the real thing. A clamping system sounds good but if it is 6 years old and no one knows about it or used it , is it any good? The vent and a/c is the top of the list to do to the Boler, I hope it gets better because I have alot more to replace......... Boler God help me.....
Old 04-29-2013, 06:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnKK View Post
Tom, that says 2007-2008. I would think others her and the B&M stores would know that by know. I haven't seen it on Google. So you got me. I like the idea but if it just that a idea it is not much good without the real thing. A clamping system sounds good but if it is 6 years old and no one knows about it or used it , is it any good? The vent and a/c is the top of the list to do to the Boler, I hope it gets better because I have alot more to replace......... Boler God help me.....
Have to talked to anyone at Fantastic Vent? The link is to their OEM catalog, so you may not see everything listed at an RV store.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:09 PM   #8

Florida
Tom, I did call FV that is how I learned about it. Then I went on a search to buy one and no one like CW and RVA has never heard of it. This is why I threw it on here to see if others have....
Old 04-29-2013, 06:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnKK View Post
Tom, I did call FV that is how I learned about it. Then I went on a search to buy one and no one like CW and RVA has never heard of it. This is why I threw it on here to see if others have....
I'd go back to Fantastic Vent and ask where you can buy one. Surely they know who they ship the clamp vents to.

Note that OEM means trailer manufacturers, so you may need to buy it from a manufacturer that uses it on their own campers.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:17 PM   #10

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I had the new FF on my 2012 Lance, there were no screw holes on the exterior, just a flat surface. Did not have a chance to determine how it was held on, sold the unit.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01000.JPG  
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:42 AM   #11

Name: Drew
Trailer: Trillium
Alberta
Registry
I installed one of those last year in my trailer. When you attach the inside bezel there are longer screws which just tighten the fan down, pretty straight forward.

However, on the advisement of Joe at Trillium Calgary I added my own holes in the fan and also secured it with screws which matched the holes from my old vent. He told me the clamp type can shift or lift up sometimes.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:48 AM   #12

Florida
Thank you, maybe I will just get the old reg type. Don't want anything flying off the rig in tow or during the high winds in Florida. I will order one FF and a vent today. I guess Amazon has about the lowest price unless someone knows of anywhere cheaper.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:29 AM   #13

Texas
Good point about it flying off. Never thought about that but I guess it sure could happen. I think I too will just go with Butyl and rivets and just do it right one time .

I had to fiberglass up all the holes on mine as it looked like Woody Woodpecker had attacked it. No wonder it leaked everywhere with the job this PO dude did. (PO'd to think about it)
Attached Thumbnails
woody.jpg  
If you Rest, You Rust
Old 04-30-2013, 07:55 AM   #14

Florida
I think you need a couple more holes up there,lol.
One reason I wanted a clamp on system is so I dont have to put my weight on top. And I can't reach that far from the side. I guess I could pop rivets from the inside. I will call FF and ask more about the clamp system.
I did get emails from Adohen Supply but he didnt seem to be in a good mood or maybe it was the way I read them.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:01 AM   #15

Texas
Can you just lay a couple of 2x4s across the top area and then lean on the board and it will distribute your weight across the entire section. Just a thought.
If you Rest, You Rust
Old 04-30-2013, 08:29 AM   #16

Florida
I am 6ft3 at 255 on a good day,lol I will get it done one way or another that is for sure. The last and really only owner had a clown put a roof top ac unit on it and yes it cracked. I already thought of a way to fix that. I just don't want to do any more damage with my fat butt. Been a long time since I put in a vent but I was able to walk on top of my last unit. Wish I could get it in my garage...
Old 04-30-2013, 09:04 AM   #17

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Even though it's an excellent fan, I personally would call the clamp mount the soon to be "Leaky Mount".

If my roof was that thin, as a lot of aluminum and fiberglass sheet (i.e. Sticky) roofs are, I would opt to make a 1/2" thick wood frame to put on the inside and put my s.s. screws through the top and into that for good sealing and security.

As it's being sold as OEM, I am sure that it's good-enough for a year or so on a new coach, but that's as long as most mfg warrantees last anyway.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:11 AM   #18

Florida
I don't want to take away fro my head room being 6ft3. What would work on using a spacer on top of the camper? I read where most put their spacer on the inside but they are shorter peeps too. And we all know what happens to wood in time in the weather. Primer and paint only go so far.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:41 AM   #19

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Maybe this will give you inspiration: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ers-42778.html

Or, this one: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ler-38701.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:50 AM   #20

Florida
Thanks Miss Donna, I watched a lot of Kevin's vids on YouTube. I just got off the phone with a lady from FF and she didn't say nothing about a spacer for the top side which is what I would need. I am waiting for a call back from her now. I will ask her about that and order 4 spacers. I think I will put in just the vent model in the back and if I ever want to put a second fan in there it will save me some time. I think I will go with the 5000 or 6000 unit. The 6000RVT I see is going for 180 on Ebay. Wish they would go on sale now!