FGRV Double Decker Pontoon Boat - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2018, 01:36 PM   #1

Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
FGRV Double Decker Pontoon Boat

Call me hillbilly but I always thought it would be cool to buy a 30ft suntracker pontoon boat. They have roofs over the back half. Then take an fgrv (lil-snoozy with rear door?), and remove it off the snoozy frame and slide it onto the aluminum floor of the pontoon - on the back half - under the roof! Put a 2000 genny on the roof. The boat is 8ft wide so the fgrv should fit between the supports of the roof! The snoozy door goes right onto the deck! Ladder from front deck to roof!

Now you have a FGRV anphibi-camper! Use it on water as a cabin cruiser with all the comforts and advantages of fgrv! use it on land and have an fgrv with a big double decker deck!

Sure you need a heavy half ton, or 2500 to pull it - but the remote camping spots are now endless!
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 02:03 PM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
I'm not much of a water person, but I can see the appeal of something like this, even going as far as using it as a house boat.
Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:15 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
A page from an early Scamp brochure...
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:28 PM   #4

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
You gotta be kidding. That sounds like toooo much work. Just unhook the fiberglass portion from the trailer and mount an outboard on the back and back it into the water!!! Varoom, Varoom.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:42 PM   #5

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
You gotta be kidding. That sounds like toooo much work. Just unhook the fiberglass portion from the trailer and mount an outboard on the back and back it into the water!!! Varoom, Varoom.

I can just picture it! A Lil Snoozy planing across the lake. Does this make my neck look red?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:44 PM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I can just picture it! A Lil Snoozy planing across the lake. Does this make my neck look red?
Are we talking politics or not enough sunscreen when out on the river?
Had to ask,
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:00 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Floating Scamp

There is a tugboat that pushes barges up and down the Columbia River around here that the captain has a 13 ft. Scamp on the top for his personal down time we were told after we saw it and asked. A guy with good taste. Wish I had a picture I could share.

Deb
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:40 PM   #8

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Granted, lots of vehicle, especially if you tow it on the pontoon boat. But I think of it as an amphibious vehicle. Leave the pontoons at your favorite marina, and take the trailer on inland adventures. Guess you would have to find a tow vehicle, or a larger pontoon boat.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:42 AM   #9

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
I like it, but if I understand your description, I’d have to reverse the configuration to put the rounded front of the camper toward the bow of the pontoon boat so I could walk out the back door onto a rear deck with access to the motor, etc. If I did indeed remove thee frame and suspension from the camper, it would significantly reduce the total weight, so that would help in balancing the overall load... this would be a real consideration.

Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:20 AM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Chuck View Post
There is a tugboat that pushes barges up and down the Columbia River around here that the captain has a 13 ft. Scamp on the top for his personal down time we were told after we saw it and asked. A guy with good taste. Wish I had a picture I could share.

Deb
Now that's cool! I'm not sure I've ever seen a tugboat that had deck space for a Scamp.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:15 AM   #11

Name: dave
Trailer: no longer looking at Parkliner,04 Honda Odyssey
Pennsylvania
Hillbilly 2

Hey you can call me a hillbilly too because I dream about multi purpose campers like this! Check out the CaraBoat made in Australia. It's a twin engine beauty that looks like Lil Snoozy on steroids. Luxurious, pricey and not for sale here yet but they want to. Isn't the creator of Lil Snoozy from the boat world? How about an aquatic version of it? Could be the next big thing...
flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:15 AM   #12

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Now that's cool! I'm not sure I've ever seen a tugboat that had deck space for a Scamp.

Yes. That would make a nice houseboat. I suspect it would be cheaper and work better to just buy a houseboat and keep your LS for land adventures..Neat concept though.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:35 AM   #13

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
This is the Caraboat from Australia mentioned by Flaco. If this floats, I'm certain a Snoozy would. Well, be careful opening the door.
Attached Thumbnails
carth.jpeg  
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:34 AM   #14

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
You gotta luv a snoozy
Old 05-24-2018, 12:25 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Buddy of mine has a 56' steel tug ( had to remove and replace the tow engine as a condition of sale ). He's converting it to a dive charter boat.
Anyway, for a family vacation, he dragged his tent trailer onto the dock, picked it up with a davit ( small, on board crane ) and dropped it on the rear deck for extra accommodation.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:31 PM   #16

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
how about this one...
Attached Images

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 04:32 AM   #17

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Floyd, It appears a bit of DIY effort was involved in that double decker. I tried to enlarge the pic to no avail. No matter.

But is that Scamp supported by four 4x4s ? It is not as though they are buried in the ground for support.

Watch out! Low bridge ahead!
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:26 PM   #18
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
Here is the Caraboat YouTube link if you want to see it in action.
https://youtu.be/lFpn23bxi1g
Sid
Sid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:33 PM   #19

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Sid,

That is pretty cool. Looks like a cousin of the Snoozy.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:40 AM   #20

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
Actually the snoozy was originally from a fiberglass swimming pool background. The snoozy plant is nearby and I pass it frequently out on interstate 26. I’ve never seen a boat but there are always swimming pools lying around next door.

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote